Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [LW] Anthony Duclair With 3rd Round (80th) Pick

In Vigneault, Veritas BSBH Prospect
    A player like Duclair needs to bulk to around 195-200. His speed is ridiculous - which is great - and his hands can keep up as noted.

If he stays small, he's at best a plugger. If he gets bigger and hits, say, 6'1 200, he could be a pain in the butt to play against.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    A player like Duclair needs to bulk to around 195-200. His speed is ridiculous - which is great - and his hands can keep up as noted.

If he stays small, he's at best a plugger. If he gets bigger and hits, say, 6'1 200, he could be a pain in the butt to play against.
    True, but at Height/Weight: 5’11'', 177 lbs we might have to wait a while for him to hit that size. I guess there's the chance. Would he still be as fast? Who knows.
    Anyway he sounds like a nice prospect to have in the system on the controversial "high-reward" side.

IMO, we need the higher reward possibility forwards in the system — we went for a forward who does not (yet) have size and who has holes in his defensive game, but who has great speed and a very good shot. (Whereas we could have picked a more obvious 3rd or 4th line checking type, or a defenseman).

I like the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    It's true. If anyone saw Craig Buttons "scouting reports" on players it was hilarious. Every kid in the top 20 got absolutely perfect marks and was compared to an NHL superstar. It's just fucking retarded.
    Don't most people named "Buttons" work in the circus and wear a big nose and shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMinutesForNothing View Post
    4 goals and 1 assist for Duclair through his first 2 games.
    Supposedly I need to spread some more rep around before giving it to you again, but thanks for keeping us posted!
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 09-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Junior Division
    Has 21 goals in 23 games. Nice start

List Maker BSBH Rookie
    Havent paid attention to this guy much... actually, just realized he's black.
    The numbers are promising. What's the outlook for this kid, a Callahan type player? I havent seen him enough, dont know his grit level. I know he's a speed and skill guy, but that doesnt always translate to the NHL game.

Pretty much speed and skill. Has hands to match his speed apparently. Way too early to predict jack shit, but it's better than him not producing. 2nd in goals I think in the Q

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Wow. Impressive.

It's not like his team is brimming with talent either... he's by far their best player. His shooting percentage is pretty ridiculous... 28% this season and 22% overall. I checked some of the other top scorers and they are nowhere near that.

Would be nice to finally have a legit sniper in the system, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Seen WAY too many of our hyped up prospects turn into squat. I'll reserve my excitement for the players on the Rangers

I only watch FOREIGN films Bantam Division Steven.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    The numbers are promising. What's the outlook for this kid, a Callahan type player? I havent seen him enough, dont know his grit level. I know he's a speed and skill guy, but that doesnt always translate to the NHL game.
    Watching his highlights, he reminds me of Duchene.

Highlights can be misleading, though.
    Hidden Content

"TV is a nickname, nicknames are friends, and television is no friend of mine."

VERY misleading

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Either way, that's a hell of a start in any CHL league.
    And since being drafted he's improving his numbers, nothing wrong with that.

I had no clue he had 66pts as a 16 year old....this kid may be real good.

The injury really hurt his draft position. He had top 10, maybe even top 5 talent in that draft but his numbers last season suffered because of the injury. The best thing about this is he's a third round pick. I probably would have been happy if we picked him in the mid first round. I've seen some people compare him to E. Kane but not as physical.

Senior Member Bantam Division Herman_NYRBlog's Avatar
    I've watched roughly 66% of his games this season. It's tough to find a comparison for Duclair because not many 3rd round picks who have his combination of skill & speed without being a truly top player. As has been pointed out, he came into last season projected as a 1st rounder and possibly even top-15 pick.

One guy I've compared him to is Carl Hagelin. Both left wingers, both have deadly speed, that ability to play the transition game and are good defensively. There are some problems with the comparison, though. Hagelin does a lot more of the little things and is a more cerebral player. Duclair has better hands and gamebreaking potential. He's a more offensively creative player. Michael Grabner is another player that might make sense, though I think Duclair is a more physical player and gets more involved in the tough areas.

What kind of player will he ultimately develop into at the NHL level - if he even makes it that far? Too soon to say. I will say this though; if the NHL held a redraft for 2013 today I see no way he drops out of the 2nd round.
    ww.nyrangersblog.com

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by NosLliWhsoj View Post
    Don't read the glowing reports on the first page or you'll be walking around with a goat boner all day. many had him pegged as a 1st round pick but injuries knocked him and his numbers down to the third round. Will he bulk up, muscle up enough to enjoy his type of play in the NHL at the same level? I think so, but guess we're just going to have to wait and see. But for now this is one prospect in the Rangers pool we can be very excited about.

The comparisons are more like Evander Kane, Michael Grabner, Carl Hagelin with better hands but not as well rounded as Hags.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Senior Member Bantam Division FleshistheFever's Avatar

The boy can bang.

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    I like this kid.

Formerly Richter Redux Midget Division
    We've seen guys slip before due to injury history that we've capitalized on. Michael Sauer and Derek Stepan come to mind. Sauer was becoming a VERY good NHL player before the concussions brought him down. Stepan is, well, Stepan. The jury's still out, but he's at minimum a solid 2nd line center (in other words not somebody who should've fallen out of the first round).

Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky again with this kid. Lord knows we could use a few breaks with the prospects in our system.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Stepan didn't slip due to injury.
    Was due to him looking lazy.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Guess no one realized he was just slow.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Guess no one realized he was just slow.
    He was a whole different level of slow and not interested looking.
    Mainly because at that level everything came so easily to him...the game slowed down, (super high hockey IQ)

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Hitting an 18-year old Russian and hitting an NHL player are two totally different things, especially for a guy that's 5'11" and under 180 lbs. I like the effort a lot, but telling me he's gritty from one hit is like telling me Callahan has great hands from one nice deke. Still nice to see, but it gives people the wrong impression.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast