Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rangers Draft [LW] Pavel Buchnevich With 3rd Round (75th) Pick

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect

Rangers Draft [LW] Pavel Buchnevich With 3rd Round (75th) Pick

Name: Pavel Buchnevich
    Position: Left Wing
    Shoots: Left
    Current Team: Cherepovets Severstal (KHL)

Hockey's Future Profile: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospec...el-buchnevich/

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey's Future
    2011-12: Pavel Buchnevich Almaz Cherepovets of Russia's MHL. In 45 games for that club, he scored 15 goals and added 29 assists for 44 points while picking up 55 penalty minutes and a +15 rating. In 10 playoff games for Almaz, Buchnevich scored 4 goals and chipped in 3 assists for 7 points. Buchnevich played for Russia at the 2012 World U17 Hockey Challenge, picking up 1 assist in 5 games for the gold medal winners.

2012-13: Buchnevich spent the majority of the season with Almaz Cherepovets. In 24 games for that team, he scored 8 goals and added 15 assists for 23 points to go along with 36 penalty minutes. In 3 playoff games for that club, Buchnevich scored 1 goal and tallied 4 assists for 5 points. Buchnevich also saw his first action in Russia's top league, the KHL, playing for Severstal Cherepovets. In 12 games for that club, he scored 1 goal and picked up 1 assist for 2 points. Buchnevich didn't register any points in 6 playoff games for Severstal. Buchnevich played for Russia at the 2013 U18 World Junior Championship, picking up 5 goals and 6 assists for 11 points in 7 games.
    A fast skating forward with a good set of hands, Buchnevich is a very interesting prospect with an impressive ceiling. Not so big at 6'0", 170 pounds, the Cherepovets, Russia native makes things happen with his speed and skills. Buchnevich is indeed a player who has the ability to entartain the public with his skating and stickhandling abilities. On the other hand, he has still a lot to do before considering himself ready to cross the Atlantic. First, he needs to add some meat to his frame, then he has to improve his defensive game and play a more cohesive game. Buchnevich is a good playmaker and has very good vision of the ice.
    http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/06/...er-profile-56/

Buchnevich is a terrific skater. He has very fast top end speed, excellent acceleration and great first step quickness. This makes him extremely dangerous off the rush, and he is not afraid to go wide on a defenceman and then cut to the net. He also has great agility, and good balance on his skates. Buchnevich could stand to add some weight to his frame but even with that, his balance and strength on the puck is good at the Under 18 level. It will need to be much better though for the pro game.
    Buchnevich is able to play all three forward positions which is a major plus for any prospect. He’s a pure sniper, with a fantastic wrist shot and snap shot. They are both powerful, accurate, and feature quick releases. He also has a very good one timer. Buchnevich is often able to force defenders to give him space due to his skating and it as at this point he can unleash is shot on the rush. He has good stickhandling skills and protects the puck very well. He’s not afraid to go through traffic and take the puck right to the net in order to get chances. Buchnevich is a skilled playmaker as well, he is very creative and is willing to try things that most players wouldn’t have the skill level to dream about. He also is willing to work hard in the corners and digging for loose pucks.
    Buchnevich’s defensive game is best termed a work in progress. He can often looked lost in the defensive zone as his positioning and fundamentals need a lot of work. He seems willing enough, but will need some major help in coaching before he can be a pro player.
    Stylistically Buchnevich is similar to a Phil Kessel. However this is a stylistic comparison and not saying that he will become as good as Kessel is. Instead Buchnevich is a prospect with serious boom or bust potential. The upside to be a first line NHL goal scorer, (whatvever the position) is there, but the KHL factor and the defensive game may make Buchnevich fall in the ranks.
    http://thehockeywriters.com/pavel-bu...spect-profile/

Even with his average height, Buchnevich packs a ton of natural offense into his frame. He is looked at as one of the most lethal offensive weapons this draft has to offer. He is a fast skater, can control the puck at very high speeds, and has some of the best hands of any prospect. A very smooth and fluid skater, Buchnevich has blistering quick acceleration and top speed. His agility is a key attribute to his game and can turn on a dime.
    “Put up impressive numbers in the MHL this season and has played a role in the KHL with Severstal…Has top end puck handling ability and great hockey sense… Needs to add quickness to his stride but technical upside is there… Will benefit from continued development and adding strength.”
    “Stood out in international competitions with his high skill level. Creative player who is fearless in all parts of the offensive zone. A smooth skater who is deceptively quick with his soft hands which allow him to get loose and/or set up linemates. Fearless in traffic and is great in one-on-one. A strong forechecker. The way he beats you is by coming out of a pack with the puck and using his lightning release to wrist it into the net before defensive players can react. As with all the Russian-based prospects, their final draft slottings are entirely tied to whether or not they are committed to crossing the pond and actually attempting to become NHLers. He was selected to the roster for the World Junior Under-18 Tournament in April.”
    “A fast skating forward with a good set of hands, Buchnevich is a very interesting prospect with an impressive ceiling. Not so big at 6’0″, 170 pounds, the Cherepovets, Russia native makes things happen with his speed and skills. Buchnevich is indeed a player who has the ability to entartain the public with his skating and stickhandling abilities. On the other hand, he has still a lot to do before considering himself ready to cross the Atlantic. First, he needs to add some meat to his frame, then he has to improve his defensive game and play a more cohesive game. Buchnevich is a good playmaker and has very good vision of the ice.”
    Current Statistics
    HockeyDB.com Page: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=159355
    Team Player Page: N/A
    Last edited by Drew a Penalty; 06-30-2013 at 09:08 PM.

I only watch FOREIGN films Bantam Division Steven.'s Avatar
    Great shot, very nice hands, can grow into his frame. Solid pick.
    Hidden Content

"TV is a nickname, nicknames are friends, and television is no friend of mine."

Definitely the pick I'm most excited about. Having read some about him, he can be a really great pick if he pans out. Some serious skill there.

🔴⚪️🔵 BSBH Prospect
    I like high risk high reward, we need someone with some serious skill.Hope he can become a steal and not a wasted pick

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    He has a 3 year KHL deal so we wont see him anytime soon.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    2 years left. Gives him time to develop.

I only watch FOREIGN films Bantam Division Steven.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CreaseCrusader91 View Post
    He's definitely a project, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. Needs time to grow into his frame, needs to polish his game. He's very raw. He has first round skill, though, could definitely see this guy in our top-5 prospect ranking in the next year or two.
    Hidden Content

"TV is a nickname, nicknames are friends, and television is no friend of mine."

Senior Member Midget Division Rangers's Avatar
    Is there a way to get him to ahl faster?
    Shoot the puck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers View Post
    Is there a way to get him to ahl faster?
    Only if he opts out of his KHL contract.

Sticks Out For Harambe BSBH Prospect
    @AGrossRecord:
    Gordie Clark says third-rounder Pavel Buchnevich reminds him, in his style of play, in the late Alexei Cherepanov.
    Hidden Content
    “Practice isn't the thing you do once you're good. It's the thing you do that makes you good.”- Malcolm Gladwell

Senior Member Squirt Division SKjEi o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Born Again Qvistian View Post
    Only if he opts out of his KHL contract.
    He can do that?

--------------------------------------

I like that we're aiming for the home-run in this draft. High risk, high reward type players are who we should be aiming for.

All of these picks are good skaters. Which seems to be something the NYR brass likes.

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    alot of speed in this years draft,the rangers really need it

Former Moderator BSBH Prospect
    He's probably getting paid a lot more to be in the KHL than he would to play in the AHL. There's always some reluctance for prospects to come over from Europe just to play in the minors here. Happened to David Kveton with us. He wouldn't sign an NHL contract unless he was guaranteed to play in the NHL and not the minors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash or Czech? View Post
    He's probably getting paid a lot more to be in the KHL than he would to play in the AHL. There's always some reluctance for prospects to come over from Europe just to play in the minors here. Happened to David Kveton with us. He wouldn't sign an NHL contract unless he was guaranteed to play in the NHL and not the minors.
    Nichushkin said the same thing. You can't blame them either. More Money>Less Money

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Why bring him over? KHL > AHL. let him develop.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Safety regulations would be the only thing I can think of. And in the AHL he could adjust to the smaller ice size.

I, personally, would keep him in the KHL.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    The KHL isn't a better developmental league than the AHL. Also, we had a prospect die there, probably unnecessarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Peetie27 View Post
    The KHL isn't a better developmental league than the AHL. Also, we had a prospect die there, probably unnecessarily.
    Cherapanov's death was unfortunate, but it doesn't mean all KHL prospects are going to die there. He was doping and wasn't in the physical condition to be playing. Doctors cleared him when he shouldn't have been playing. I don't think that will be the case. That's like saying he might die in a plane crash because of what happened to Yaroslavl Lokomotiv. I'm not a fan of the KHL by any means, I think it's run by a bunch of crooks and poorly organized. Why is that a bunch of NHL scrubs can dominate that league? There's nothing special about it. I think the KHL is fine for Buchnevich for now. Developmentally the KHL isn't the best, but he gets to refine his skills against men and get bigger. He can work on adjusting in North America.

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    Where did I say all KHL prospects would die?

I'm familiar with the Cherepanov details.

Fact is most NHL teams would prefer their Euros to play in NA sooner rather than later.

Add in the fact that the KHL isn't safe, the statement KHL > AHL just isn't true.

Where did I say all KHL prospects would die?

I'm familiar with the Cherepanov details.
    Then what was the purpose of bringing up Cherapanov? We all know what happened to him.

Fact is most NHL teams would prefer their Euros to play in NA sooner rather than later.

Add in the fact that the KHL isn't safe, the statement KHL > AHL just isn't true.
    I'm not supporting the KHL. I'm saying it's okay. I agree that the AHL is superior to the KHL for various reasons, but I'm perfectly fine with an 18 year old getting a chance to play against tough competition.

The KHL isn't exactly safe, but I'm not entirely worried. Has anyone in the KHL died of similar causes since the Cherapanov incident?

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast