Thread: Rangers Lose Camp Invite [D] Lukas Bengtsson to Penguins

#MakePetrGreatAgain BSBH Legend

Rangers Lose Camp Invite [D] Lukas Bengtsson to Penguins

@CraigCustance: Penguins have signed undrafted free agent D Lukas Bengtsson to ELC. Big playoff w/Frolunda, lots of interest. Great skater. High hockey IQ.

--

Bengtsson was a camp invite the Rangers had interest in and is coming off a really big season/playoffs with Frölunda — Henrik Lundqvist's old team. Had 14 points in 30 games and 7 points in 12 playoff games for them this year.

Scouting report:

Bengtsson is a defenseman who stands out with his terrific skating ability and offensive instincts. Owns excellent acceleration and agility, allowing him to rush the puck up the ice. Of below-average size, he still protects the puck well when skating. Manning the point on the powerplay, he has a great one-timer and quick decision-making ability. Always gets back defensively, but could certainly improve his overall game, given his hockey smarts. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player....UKPxgjJG.dpuf
    http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=67165

--

Custance and a few other pundits are all praising the signing and the anlaytics community are ripping the Rangers for letting him slip away.

Considering the state of the Rangers' cupboards, I agree. These are the types of players you really ought to be going after with more aggression. They've actually let quite a few players go despite impressive camp showings. Sergei Tolchinsky (CAR) and Nikita Zaitsev (soon TOR) in recent years.

Also, before anyone says "he's undrafted, who cares", take a look at Mats Zuccarello.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    Beats me why they let him slip through. As you mentioned, not the first time the Rangers have let someone go. I think it's a mixture of overconfidence in terms of being able to sign the player as well as the organization not being fully trusting of the guys that Gordie and the scouts get them to invite.

Matt O'Connor is another player that comes to mind from recent seasons. There just needs to be that willingness to pull the trigger either right after development camp or to try an really coax them to attend Traverse City and then sign them after.

Hopefully, the Rangers learn a bit from this and pull the trigger a bit earlier with some of these players. The Rangers do a fantastic job of finding these guys, they just need to start signing them. There's a lot of talent to be had from some of these European invites. I'd much prefer some of those risks as opposed to college signings like Haggerty or even Chapie even though we have yet to see anything.

Agreed, especially because this route usually means picking up younger players. Signing college free agents and stocking the AHL with AHL-lifers is fine if you just want to keep your AHL team competitive, but if you are looking to this practice to actually net you some gain from time-to-time, you have to take a few risks by offering actaul contracts to the guys who impress you.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, “I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.”"
    - Christopher Hitchens

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    The recent Stromwall signing has some potential, but I'm at least happy to see the Rangers making moves like that. I just wish they'd be more consistent with that.

I'd like to see them going after some of these smaller guys more and more. Speed and skill really make the game right now. Size doesn't matter. An "NHL calibre shot" means jack all if there aren't other tools in a tool box (Hello, Danny Kristo and Ryan Haggerty). At least they took a risk with Stromwall. I'd like to see it some more. They're adding these useless small guys over the years like Nanne, St. Croix, Walcott, etc. Just start taking the risk on some of these other guys who actually do display skill.

There have just been some mind boggling signings in recent years. They opt to sign Petr Zamorsky and Kyle Jean but some of these other guys slip through the cracks. Beats me as to how it happens. I guess it's just better asset management because there's no issue in finding talent. I'd say the Rangers are fantastic at it.

Senior Member Bantam Division DiJock94's Avatar
    In all fairness St. Croix, Kristo, Thomas, Bodie, Marchessault, Zuccarello.... All small guys that display a lot of skill

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    it seems like it's a case of "to the victor go the spoils," oh well.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    it seems like it's a case of "to the victor go the spoils," oh well.
    Or perhaps "shit or get off the pot".
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Former Moderator BSBH Legend
    So a bunch of people who probably haven't watched this guy play are ripping an organization who probably have watched the guy play (live in person) ... Makes sense.

Oh, and let's not take into account that the guy just might not have wanted to sign here...

Resident Garbage Clown BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    So a bunch of people who probably haven't watched this guy play are ripping an organization who probably have watched the guy play (live in person) ... Makes sense.

Oh, and let's not take into account that the guy just might not have wanted to sign here...
    Exactly. We have no idea what the story is.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Forget about Bengtsson, sign Ahti Oksanen instead.

--> http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=56595

Why do I recognize that name -- another camp invite?
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Let's talk about stickers Junior Division
    He was Eichel's running mate at BU and was in our camp in the preseason. He would be a nice add. To make up for the Bengtsson loss they could sign Jerret Smith, another right-handed D, camp invite who is coming off his 2nd straight big year in the WHL.