• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundqvist

Albatrosss

Top 10 IMO

Probably not top 5

Perhaps the greatest ranger of all time

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I didn't rank him. The OP asked if he's "one of the best." The answer to that is yes. Top-10 for sure. Top-5, maybe. Brodeur being tops on your list, though... fuck that. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Plante. :D

Hank, depending on how the rest of his career goes, is in the conversation for topping either of the last two.

I didn't rank him. The OP asked if he's "one of the best." The answer to that is yes. Top-10 for sure. Top-5, maybe. Brodeur being tops on your list, though... fuck that. Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Sawchuk, Plante. :D

Hank, depending on how the rest of his career goes, is in the conversation for topping either of the last two.

I said no particular order.

Remember- you spelling grammar and comprehension dork boy

Top 25 all time. Somewhere between Fuhr and Barrasso maybe.

His best attribute was consistentcy. One Vezina.

Should have had more than one. There was a five- or six-year stretch where he was probably the best goalie in the game.

Should have had more than one. There was a five- or six-year stretch where he was probably the best goalie in the game.

Certainly the most consistent, but rarely the best. Though, often second or third.

I just don't understand how he'd be clearly ranked ahead of guys like CuJo or Belfour. That's debatable certainly, but not necessarily the case in my mind.

A lot of the guys in that top 100 list, like Johnny Bower, made it on the strength of cup wins, but it's really hard to include cup wins when comparing players from different eras, because in a 31 team era, as opposed to a six team era, a lot of the greatest players are never going to win a cup. I would liken Hank to Tony Esposito, in terms of being one of the top goalies for a sustained period of time without winning a cup. One thing that is really to Hank's credit is that in the current era, a lot of goalies have one or two career years in which they make post season all star teams or win Vezinas but they don't sustain it year to year. Hank and Price have been "sustainers" more than any others over the past 15 years.

It's hard to compare many on the top 100 list to Hank. Bernie Parent was good but not great for about five years, absolutely fantastic for about three, and soon gone due to injury. What would the book on Dryden be liked if he played 14 years instead of 7, with the final 7 with a not so good team?

Here's one thing distinguishing Hank. He is responsible for the modern reviewable goldtender interference rule, having possibly lost his one cup on a terrible no interference call and prompting the rule change.

In the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals against the Kings, Lundqvist went 0-3 in OT. If Rangers win at least one or two of those OT games, they probably win the Cup.

Look at Lundqvist's career playoff OT record. 2014 is not an aberration.

Until he wins a Cup, he's not in the conversation.

In the 2014 Stanley Cup Finals against the Kings, Lundqvist went 0-3 in OT. If Rangers win at least one or two of those OT games, they probably win the Cup.

Look at Lundqvist's career playoff OT record. 2014 is not an aberration.

Until he wins a Cup, he's not in the conversation.

Richter played behind a roster of future HHOF players

I believe Richter never made a post-season all star team. He was only a Vezina finalist once, in his rookie year, and the following season he ended up back in the minors for a while. The year after we won the cup, he lost his No. 1 position for a while and Healey started the playoffs. He didn't get real HOF consideration that I can recall. He was an excellent goalie and the Rangers won the cup with him, but his career was nothing like Hank's in terms of being one of the top goalies for many years running.

Richter was the anti-Hank.

Not consistent, relied on wild angles and aggressive athleticism but when he was on he was unbeatable.

Goaltending changed and now you have an army of Hank acolytes who play like this:

1) I'm big

2) My equipment is big

3) I'm at the optimum angle

4) Butterfly!

IMO, Richter was superior to Lundqvist between the ears, and gave up fewer soft goals. Lundqvist has superior technical/positioning skills.

If you put Lundqvist on the Rangers roster from 1993-1997 how many cups do the Rangers win? 0, 1, 2, or 3? We'll never know.

nhl.com list of goalies from top 100 of all time https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/100-greatest-nhl-players

Johnny Bower, Turk Broda, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden, Bill Durnan, Tony Esposito, Grant Fuhr, Glenn Hall, Dominik Hasek, Bernie Parent, Jacques Plante, Patrick Roy, Terry Sawchuk, Billy Smith, Georges Vezina. Pretty tough list to break into

Top ten winning goalies. https://www.thesportster.com/hockey/top-10-winningest-goalies-in-nhl-history/

Brodeur, Roy, Belfour, Curtis Joseph (under-rated, in my book. Used to face 50 shots a game for the Brett Hull Blues), Sawchuk, Plante, Esposito, Hall, Fuhr, Osgood.

I didn't see Esposito so don't know how good he was.

Interesting article on goalie workloads and the Stanley Cup

https://thehockeywriters.com/goalie-workloads-and-the-stanley-cup/

Joseph was sooooo good. Carried the Oilers and papered over all the Leaf deficiencies in the 90's.

Beezer was close to Hank level with NYR and then sandwiched a year where he single handedly marched a team to the SCF between three other years that were some of the finest years ever played by a goaltender. If not for Hasek he probably ends up with three Vezinas across two different generational styles of the game.

If my life depending on winning game 7 of a Stanley Cup Final, I'm choosing among (in alphabetical order): Brodeur, Hasek, Roy.

If my team is an underdog and we are going to get shelled I'm choosing among (in alphabetical order): Hasek, Joseph, Roy.

Given 2 even squads of skaters and a seven game playoff series... 1994 Richter at his best for team Blue, peak Lundqvist at his best for team Silver...

I'm betting on team Blue. Without hesitation.

Team White could have Vanbiesbrouck, team Gold could have Esposito. That's a tough call for me since I didn't see Esposito. I'd go with team White since I've seen Vanbiesbrouck.

In the final, I've got team Blue over team White.

Tough four team tournament to handicap.

In 1994, the Rangers don't win the cup without Richter holding them in to the first half of Game 6 against the Devils. Bure penalty shot stop was big as well, but not quite as crucial. Do have to recall the three 6 on 5 late tying goals in 1994 playoffs. Could have used the big stop then.

In 1992, they would have won the cup but for Richter melting down in Game 4 against the Pens. Up 3-1 halfway through third and poised to go up 3-1 in the series, he yields the infamous 90 foot Ron Francis goal, loses his composure, yields tying goal, and has to be yanked as he skates around dazed in the corner as they are about to drop the puck. It was clear sailing to cup if they won that series, as Pens swept next two series against squads far weaker than the Rangers.

#35's finest hour, however, was '97 Devils series. Amazing performance. After '97, he was ordinary.

It's true that #30's OT record is not quite as good as it should be. You have to recall, however, that LA outchanced the Rangers in OT in all three of those games, even with the great Nash chance in Game 5. Also need to remember that Washington outchanced us in OT in Game 7 in 2015, and #30 stopped them before Stepan scored.

Archived