• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Harvard D Adam Fox Will Not Sign with Hurricanes; Will Become UFA Next Summer

Phil

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt they'll go after him, but I do wonder if the pipeline (and his would-be pathway to the NHL as a byproduct) isn't going to be too deep by then. Especially if the Rangers draft a handful more defenders this June.

Without even broaching the Trouba's or Karlsson's of the world this summer, in the next few years, roster spots are going to be fought over between Lindgren, Rykov, Lundkvist, Miller, Hajek, and potentially Joey Keane. Maybe Reunanen, too.

Fox could see the volume of bodies in the system and opt for an easier path elsewhere.

Ours! Like not even an if. We're the reason he's doing this.

D2nFtbfU8AArNUi?format=jpg&name=large

Interesting story that he would have attached to Leetch, well beyond the glory days, when #2 was traded to Toronto about 2 weeks after Fox's 6th birthday and to play only one more full season with Boston post lock-out year. He must've been swaddled in a Leetch onesie.

I have no doubt they'll go after him, but I do wonder if the pipeline (and his would-be pathway to the NHL as a byproduct) isn't going to be too deep by then. Especially if the Rangers draft a handful more defenders this June.

Without even broaching the Trouba's or Karlsson's of the world this summer, in the next few years, roster spots are going to be fought over between Lindgren, Rykov, Lundkvist, Miller, Hajek, and potentially Joey Keane. Maybe Reunanen, too.

Fox could see the volume of bodies in the system and opt for an easier path elsewhere.

I don't think the pipeline will be that much of a factor. They're mostly lefties...

(age) - Highest experience when Fox is UFA

Lefties:

Hajek (22) - 2 pro seasons

Rykov (23) - Potentially 1 pro season in NA plus 3 in KHL

Miller (20) - 2 NCAA seasons

Reunanen (22) - 2.5 Liiga seasons

Lindgren (22) - 2 AHL seasons

Righties:

Keane (21) - Possibly 1 AHL season

Lundkvist (20) - 2.5 SHL seasons

Anyone we draft this year will still be a teenager. Only righty on the current roster that may take a spot is DeAngelo. If they sign Karlsson that leaves one open spot on the right. I don't see Lundkvist making the jump straight to the NHL as a 20 year old, so the only competition would be Fox and Keane for the 3rd spot.

a little Adam Fox tidbit if he signs, and/or plays 1 NHL game before the season ends

(Of note, a source confirmed that Fox would burn the first year of his entry-level deal without even playing a game as long as he signs before that NHL team’s season ends, which includes the playoffs. Another interesting subplot is if Fox were to play an NHL game before the end of the season, he would need to be protected in the Seattle expansion draft of June 2021.)

https://theathletic.com/893957/2019/03/29/lebrun-notebook-decision-on-hobey-baker-candidate-adam-foxs-professional-future-expected-soon/

Can they really trade him now? Wouldn't this have had to happen before the trade deadline? If not, they'll have to wait until the Stanley Cup Finals are over, right?

trade deadline deals with playoff eligibility

He can be traded, but is not eligible to play in the post season with his new team.