• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What To Do With Pick 22?

Keirik

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah.

I think you need to really look into what the pick, packaged with one or more out of Georgiev/Strome/AdA can bring back in terms of 2C/LD. That's the first port of call.

We could really get a good player with that type of package to fill the 2C hole. :thumbs:

Domi is 25 — he's right in his prime. The cheaper aspect, sure — he's going into his third deal and has arb rights — but he's definitely in the right age range IMO. And he's a natural center in a weird spot with the Habs, who are pretty locked up down the middle with Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Evans.

Domi wants to play center, so something has to give, which is why so many Habs fans are thinking trade. While I'd personally rather not double down on the MAGA quotient, Domi is, on paper, exactly the kind of player who'd fit a Quinn-coached team. I wouldn't do Strome and 22 for Domi straight up, but I probably would if the Habs give up one of their three second-rounders (theirs, CHI, STL) to offset.

Strome and 22 for Domi and whatever the highest-seeded 2nd-rounder is? That's a pretty good hockey trade (and washes on MAGA, so we gucci).

Domi is 25 ? he's right in his prime. The cheaper aspect, sure ? he's going into his third deal and has arb rights ? but he's definitely in the right age range IMO. And he's a natural center in a weird spot with the Habs, who are pretty locked up down the middle with Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Evans.

Domi wants to play center, so something has to give, which is why so many Habs fans are thinking trade. While I'd personally rather not double down on the MAGA quotient, Domi is, on paper, exactly the kind of player who'd fit a Quinn-coached team. I wouldn't do Strome and 22 for Domi straight up, but I probably would if the Habs give up one of their three second-rounders (theirs, CHI, STL) to offset.

Strome and 22 for Domi and whatever the highest-seeded 2nd-rounder is? That's a pretty good hockey trade (and washes on MAGA, so we gucci).

I don't think that's enough to get Domi, but if it is, where do I sign?

Domi is 25 — he's right in his prime. The cheaper aspect, sure — he's going into his third deal and has arb rights — but he's definitely in the right age range IMO. And he's a natural center in a weird spot with the Habs, who are pretty locked up down the middle with Danault, Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, and Evans.

LOL.

I would do that deal, but I think Rangers would have to add a little bit. A 4th rounder or some lame prospect. I would still do it tho.

It's Strome, 22 for Domi, 47. That's not that off, is it?

Maybe I'm overvaluing Domi and undervaluing Strome's worth on the market. If I were a GM, I wouldn't put much weight behind Strome's performance yet personally. I'd also think Montreal would want to get someone younger or just as young as Domi.

I'd guess they'd be more apt to look at Buchnevich than Strome. Same deal with Buchnevich instead of Strome. Yes or no?

Maybe I'm overvaluing Domi and undervaluing Strome's worth on the market. If I were a GM, I wouldn't put much weight behind Strome's performance yet personally. I'd also think Montreal would want to get someone younger or just as young as Domi.

I'd guess they'd be more apt to look at Buchnevich than Strome. Same deal with Buchnevich instead of Strome. Yes or no?

OK, give them Andersson in the deal. Done?

No on Buch. Not that I'm averse to trading him — I just don't think that helps. You create a hole at RW (which is already thin) to fill a hole at C. It's digging yourself into a new hole to get out of the one you're in now.

OK, give them Andersson in the deal. Done?

No on Buch. Not that I'm averse to trading him — I just don't think that helps. You create a hole at RW (which is already thin) to fill a hole at C. It's digging yourself into a new hole to get out of the one you're in now.

Strome can shift to RW where he's played before, and on top of that you can keep him with Panarin. You may also see Kreider shift to RW or Kakko move up.

Kreider/Lafreniere - Zibanejad - Kakko/Kreider

Panarin - Domi - Strome

I've been one of Strome's biggest critics here in the past, but I also realize he seems to have good camaraderie with everyone which is important for establishing team chemistry.

You also open up plenty of options with the lineup, like shifting Strome down to 3rd line C if any one of Chytil/Kravtsov/Gauthier start making waves on the wing. Now center arguably becomes a strength.

"Can shift to RW," presumes such a thing can be done with ease. I don't believe that to be true. Taking a career LW (Kreider) and telling him "you play the other side now," isn't seamless except in video games.

Strome, at least, has played all three forward positions before (but clearly excelled at center). I'd be a lot more comfortable with this if there were some historical merit to it like Giroux with the Flyers, where you know moving the player to a new position can work pretty seamlessly.

I’m not really sure Montreal would be interested in Strome. They probably would get more out of resigning Domi than trading for Strome and trying to get him under the cap for more than a year and have it be reasonable. I’d think thry would be more interested in ADA

"Can shift to RW," presumes such a thing can be done with ease. I don't believe that to be true. Taking a career LW (Kreider) and telling him "you play the other side now," isn't seamless except in video games.

Strome, at least, has played all three forward positions before (but clearly excelled at center). I'd be a lot more comfortable with this if there were some historical merit to it like Giroux with the Flyers, where you know moving the player to a new position can work pretty seamlessly.

That'a fine. Kreider doesn't need to shift to have it work.

I'm making RW an open competition. Assuming Fast resigns, Kakko/Kravtsov/Fast/Gauthier/Chytil/Strome. May the best men win. There's good talent there and the youngers guys need ice time.

The more I look at Domi's stats, the more it's a hard pass. He's had one good year. You're just getting a slightly younger Strome.

Need someone younger (to ensure cost control longer), or someone with a locked in number with term, for Strome+First Rounder

The more I look at Domi's stats, the more it's a hard pass. He's had one good year. You're just getting a slightly younger Strome.

Need someone younger (to ensure cost control longer), or someone with a locked in number with term, for Strome+First Rounder

Yeah, two seasons ago, when he was still playing center consistently. From what I understand reading Habs' blogs, his role shifted, and his numbers plummeted, which is why he keeps coming back to wanting to play center. Except he can't, because who is he bumping out and not also putting into the same situation among Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, and Danault?

I'm not saying this is the for-sure deal to make, either, I'm just saying I'm not saying no. I think there's probably a fit to be had for both teams.

I'd take Domi over Strome. He plays with more of an edge which is something that the Rangers need. I also believe he's a tougher type of guy to play against than a guy like Strome. I like Strome, but I would definitely move him for a guy like Domi.