• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Next Rangers Stanley Cup Victory Will Be:

fletch

The next Rangers? next Stanley Cup championship will be  

20 members have voted

1. 1. The next Rangers? next Stanley Cup championship will be

• In the next three years
    • 3-5 years from now
    • 5-10 years from now
    • 10-20 years from now
    • Over 20 years from now

In the next three years

3-5 years from now

5-10 years from now

10-20 years from now

Over 20 years from now

You can use your own criteria, but I would suggest you include rationale in this thread. For me:

In the next three years means rebuilding on the fly; NYR can add a few key players, fine-tune the roster, and win a Stanley Cup championship.

3-5 years from now means that NYR need more talent in the pipeline, NYR need to get rid of some bad contracts, NYR need to reidentify core members of the organization, etc

5-10 years from now means organizationally NYR need to restructure; positions such as GM and head coach may need to change

10-20 or over 20 years from now: the Rangers won a cup in 1940, and another in 1994; historical perspective

5-10 although I dont agree with the synopsis. I don?t think they necessarily need to restructure. It?s just that if you?re drafting guys now then they?re likely not going to be contributing on a legitimate level for 3-5 years. Not to mention a few seasons to get the team to compete like a championship team.

And I still believe that they need a horrible year where they get to draft top 3 otherwise it?s all pretty much moot because I don?t see them drafting so well that it negates the need for top end talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Given the state of the blue line and the age of Lundqvist, I'm going with five-to-ten. I think we're underestimating the steps required to make the Rangers' defense NHL caliber (including how long it takes to accomplish), and no matter his counting stats in the KHL, I'm reluctant to crown a rookie Russian goalie the Next One.

I’m hopeful that it’s only 3-5 and more likely to be 5.

Honest question sparked by So Nashty’s post above; Do we really need a bottom-out tank to be successful? Put another way, what is the historical norm of Cup winning teams? Did most scrape the bottom before reaching nirvana?

Asking for me. :-)

Pens, Crosby 1st overall, Malkin 2nd overall

Caps, Ovechkin 1st overall, Backstron 4th overall

Blackhawks, Kane 1st overall, Toews 2nd Overall

LA Kings, Doughty 2nd overall

then you have teams like EDM/NYI that have been tanking for years and always bust.

It comes down to competent management, and scouting staff, striking gold with a Top 3-4 pick and in the 2nd/3rd rounds, and making smart managerial decisions.

Thx Blue Heaven. I forget these things.

What happened to our scouting staff? Weren’t they magicians a few years ago?

Our scouting staff hasn’t had much to work with. People point to McIlrath as their window into the success of Gordie Clark but he also drafted Kreider, Skjei, Jt Miller, Chytil, Andersson, Kravstov, K Miller and Lindqvist. Our scouting staff batting average looks to be pretty high.

I hate to think that we might have to wait another 7 or 8 years (since its 25 years and counting from 1994) so hopefully the Cup will come sooner. I remember the 1940 chants, and don't want to get to the point where Islanders/Devils/Flyers fans can start chanting 1994.

Archived