• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Job Thread: Interviews, Negotiations, and Advice

Phil

I guess the original thread was an unintentional victim of the purge...

Question for everyone/Josh:

In letting one company I interviewed with know about an offer from another, does it make sense to give the first company a yearly valuation of the offer from the second?

For example, "I've been given an offer worth X per year," versus just saying I've been given an offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

When did you get the offer from company 1?

So, I'm HR at company 1. I gave you a job offer, offering you a salary of $10. Now, I wait for you to interview at another company. You tell me the other company offered you $15.

- I gave you the offer

- you looked for something else

- you try to negotiate a higher salary

You're obviously just looking for the highest pay rate, so why would I waste my time on a candidate that's going to continually look for another job, or constantly complain about money?

Did company 1 say they were willing to negotiate?

You might be able to say "i got this offer, I really like your job, but based on xyz, I might be forced to take the other position".

If this is something you really want to do, try to set up a call with a manager, mention you received another offer but want to discuss total compensation (salary, health insurance, bonus, pay increases, paid time off, dress code, hours - anything related to the job) prior to making the decision. Sometimes during these conversations it might be easier and more appropriate to mention wages.

I got the offer today. It's technically a temp to perm; which is why I asked about whether or not including that info to let the other company know about the offer. I would actually rather work with this company (who made the offer), but I also would like to know if the other company would actually offer something on their own. I'm not looking to leverage the first into offering more. They probably offered more than the second company would anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

ok, so you interviewed for 2 jobs.

Job 1 - temp to perm, gave offer, would prefer to work there

job 2 - going through the interview process?

You want to call job 1 and see if you can get more, or call job 2 and see if you can get an offer/better offer?

You can call job 2 and say, "hey, i was offered job 1, I wanted to see where you guys were at in the hiring process [job 2] before I make a decision."

I'm usually pretty honest when I get that call. I'll say if we cant compete with a salary, or if I anticipate the hiring process to take additional time.

ok, so you interviewed for 2 jobs.

Job 1 - temp to perm, gave offer, would prefer to work there

job 2 - going through the interview process?

You want to call job 1 and see if you can get more, or call job 2 and see if you can get an offer/better offer?

You can call job 2 and say, "hey, i was offered job 1, I wanted to see where you guys were at in the hiring process [job 2] before I make a decision."

I'm usually pretty honest when I get that call. I'll say if we cant compete with a salary, or if I anticipate the hiring process to take additional time.

Basically this. The thing is, we discussed salary a little bit at the start, in terms of range. I just want to not burn any bridges, for one, and also see if they have an offer to make at all since it would be full-time to start (meaning benefits, etc). The first, where I'd prefer to work, will probably become full-time in a few months regardless, but isn't just yet. But it's also at a much higher hourly rate that equates to a salary that I don't think Job 2 would actually come close to.

I think I'm not going to include the actual financial details and basically tell them "Hey, I got an offer from another company. If you guys can't make one today, I'm going to accept," but obviously in better words. Thank them for their time, etc.

Basically this. The thing is, we discussed salary a little bit at the start, in terms of range. I just want to not burn any bridges, for one, and also see if they have an offer to make at all since it would be full-time to start (meaning benefits, etc). The first, where I'd prefer to work, will probably become full-time in a few months regardless, but isn't just yet. But it's also at a much higher hourly rate that equates to a salary that I don't think Job 2 would actually come close to.

I think I'm not going to include the actual financial details and basically tell them "Hey, I got an offer from another company. If you guys can't make one today, I'm going to accept," but obviously in better words. Thank them for their time, etc.

This is what I would do. I don't think there's a reason at all to tell them a number, but I think it might be worth it to mention that the other offer is "a good offer". In not so many words, I think that lets job 2 know that if they do in fact want to make an offer, make a strong one.

Just wondering what assurance do you have that a part time job will definitely become full time?

I worked in nursing homes when I was younger, and most places constantly kept part time positios to fill full time lines. Kind of seemed like a way for them to not have to pay full time benefits. They would always say that a full time line would open eventually, but never did, in 3 different companies.

Just wondering what assurance do you have that a part time job will definitely become full time?

I worked in nursing homes when I was younger, and most places constantly kept part time positios to fill full time lines. Kind of seemed like a way for them to not have to pay full time benefits. They would always say that a full time line would open eventually, but never did, in 3 different companies.

Conversations I've had with both the staffing agency who helped land me the gig (I've formally accepted), and some strong indications from the company themselves. In effect, I'll be helping to produce a ton of work for an October launch, and then I'm either getting renewed, or we'll negotiate a full-time position ahead of the remainder of the season.

But even if it remained a contracted position, it's at a very high hourly rate, so if I needed to simply pay for things like health insurance separately, I can do so without too much added stress. That rate can, and likely would increase, too, if they wanted to renew the deal three months from now.

Or, worst case scenario, I can revisit things down the line. But the name value should help me one way or another.

I leveraged an offer from another company to increase my salary at my current company around 3.5 years ago. I approached it by having a meeting with my manager and telling him a recruiter reached out to me and I agreed to do a few interviews with the company and it led to an offer of $xx. I also stated that I wanted to stay where I was and wasn't proactively looking, but I couldn't leave the amount of money they were offering on the table. It took a little back and fourth but they matched the offer and I'm still at the company

• 1 month later...
If I'm going to sign an offer with a start date of November 4th, and I have 18 unused vacation days at my current job, can I give 2 weeks notice then take 2 weeks paid vacation?

That's what they call "burning a bridge", and you'd likely be asked to take the 2 weeks now, come back and do your 2 weeks before the new job starts.

• Like 1

If I'm going to sign an offer with a start date of November 4th, and I have 18 unused vacation days at my current job, can I give 2 weeks notice then take 2 weeks paid vacation?

Read your handbook.

Most likely no, but you should be able to cash out that time upon termination, as long as you fulfill the requirements of your noticed, outlined in your handbook/contract/policy.

• Like 1

Yea I'll def get a check, may just tell them to put it towards my unaccounted for charges on my corporate card lol

no, don't authorize them to do that.

Get your money. Any money they need from you, they can go through their own process.

What's your handbook say about "unaccounted" CC expenses? You get discharged, you might not get your vacation paid out