• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

My Penalty Rules Change Proposal

I was watching one of the BOS games last week and they had the puck low, behind the TBL net...with a delayed penalty coming to TBL. When TBL touched the puck, the whistle blew and ended play. Then, both teams changed on-ice personnel and the puck was dropped to resume play.

My change would mandate that the team taking the penalty doesn't get the benefit of a line change. When play resumes, the penalized group of players remain on the ice until they can get off whether that be from a live-action change or when the whistle stops play once again.

I think this small change would give the penalty-advantaged team just a bit more advantage especially when a mere 'touching the puck' by the penalized team might have taken away a key scoring opportunity.

What do you think?

Wow !!!! That is a huge change and I like it

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

It teaches players good positioning, where to go, where to be, and how to move the puck in tight spaces without playing knock hockey. I don’t like it at upper levels though.

It teaches players good positioning, where to go, where to be, and how to move the puck in tight spaces without playing knock hockey. I don?t like it at upper levels though.

I?ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.

How?s it working so far?

More PP goals?

I’ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.

How’s it working so far?

More PP goals?

Idk, I coach Midgets. Haven’t seen enough games to give an honest take.

;927787]I?ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.

How?s it working so far?

More PP goals?

Eh, maybe at beginning of season.

PP for players under age 15 isn?t all that impressive.

The thought process wasn?t about scoring more PP goals, but encouraging more creative play on the PK side

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I’ve seen this idea proposed a few times and I always disliked it for the NHL, but I wonder how it might play out.

How’s it working so far?

More PP goals?

You'd probably have more PP goals, but I feel like it would just result in PPs being unwatchable with all the stoppages.

How about the new USA Hockey rule they put in last season for Bantams and below?? NO icing while short handed.

My son is a peewee so we dealt with this rule change last season. It made a huge difference to the flow of the game. The PK team was forced to make plays in the d zone rather than just throw it down the ice. It led to some turnovers that increased scoring chances. As a goalie dad this rule increased my blood pressure exponentially. :)

Obviously it would be a different effect in the NHL than for a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I see it as being similar to the 6 on 5 situations we see at the end of a 1 goal game. The defensive team definitely feels the heat in those situations.

My son is a peewee so we dealt with this rule change last season. It made a huge difference to the flow of the game. The PK team was forced to make plays in the d zone rather than just throw it down the ice. It led to some turnovers that increased scoring chances. As a goalie dad this rule increased my blood pressure exponentially. :)

Obviously it would be a different effect in the NHL than for a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds. I see it as being similar to the 6 on 5 situations we see at the end of a 1 goal game. The defensive team definitely feels the heat in those situations.

Who does he play for ?

Eh, maybe at beginning of season.

PP for players under age 15 isn’t all that impressive.

The thought process wasn’t about scoring more PP goals, but encouraging more creative play on the PK side

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Exactly. You need 5 smart and skilled kids out there for a successful pp at that age. So many mistakes are made at that age. Usually it’s too much stick handling.

You'd probably have more PP goals, but I feel like it would just result in PPs being unwatchable with all the stoppages.

Well the idea is not to ice it. No one wants a draw in their own end, let alone 4 or more in 2 minutes.

Not sure this improves the game.

With icing, the ban on line changes was implemented as a deterrent. With penalties, being a man down is already that.

I thought that the slight extra ?fatigue factor? might come into play and increase the likelihood of a PP goal. That?s the idea of a penalty right? Giving the advantage?

So my change might make that ?goal? come just a bit sooner and the game can get back to normal quicker.

Does that explanation help?

I thought that the slight extra ‘fatigue factor’ might come into play and increase the likelihood of a PP goal. That’s the idea of a penalty right? Giving the advantage?

So my change might make that ‘goal’ come just a bit sooner and the game can get back to normal quicker.

Does that explanation help?

I understand, i just dont think tired, fatigued, sloppy hockey makes the game better.

Personally, im not worried about the score. I want constant, dynamic action.

Played for Woodbridge Wolfpack last year. Moving to Red Bank Generals for this upcoming season.

Nice, RB is a good organization. Good luck ! .... and don’t stand behind him when he’s in goal. Lol

Nice, RB is a good organization. Good luck ! .... and don?t stand behind him when he?s in goal. Lol

LOL, thanks! Last year I was an assistant coach so I was not as focused on him. This year I'll be in the stands trying not to coach him from there.

Where do you coach?

Well the idea is not to ice it. No one wants a draw in their own end, let alone 4 or more in 2 minutes.

I know, but the idea is always not to ice it. If a guy is pinned or just need to get the puck out quick, I think they'll take the icing over trying to make a play.

I know, but the idea is always not to ice it. If a guy is pinned or just need to get the puck out quick, I think they'll take the icing over trying to make a play.

A team getting pinned won’t have many chances to ice the puck.

Archived