• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Thornton Would Take Less on One-Year Deal to Stay with Sharks

Phil

Joe Thornton would like to remain in San Jose, and he's open to some concessions if that's what it takes to make it happen.

"I want to come back, and I'm sure we'll try to work something out. It's no secret I'm a Shark," the veteran forward said Tuesday at the club's clean-out session. "I bleed teal, and I want to come back. I know I'm going to be healthy when I come back, so I'm sure we can figure something out, but I want to come back."

When asked if the one-year deal he signed last summer is where he is "at" in terms of a potential contract, Thornton said that's something to which he'd be amenable.

"Yeah, I'm comfortable signing one-year deals, and it's fine."

The 38-year-old also took a selfless approach when asked if he'd be open to taking less money if that allowed the Sharks to pursue a "big fish" in free agency.

"Absolutely, there's enough money around for everybody ... I want this team ultimately to win the Stanley Cup," he said. "This city deserves it and these guys deserve it, so whatever we decide, (what's) going to be in the back of my head is just making this team better."

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1541710Thornton

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Sharks have an estimated $14.5 million to play with. They'll have to make a tough call here, though, if they want to be in on Kane and Tavares, as well as Thornton. I can't imagine Jumbo is going to take that much less. A discount, sure, but he'll still probably account for at least $4 million against the cap.

Still, the Sharks would be a super threat if they managed to bring him back and land Tavares.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Stop gap for what? They already have a plethora of available centers. Tavares signals a jump start to the rebuild, otherwise, if you're gonna suck, you don't need to pay Thornton to do it.

Like you said, it's a waste of time for both parties.

That doesn't include a bunch of teenagers? No, they don't.

I'm fence-sitting on the matter, but Thornton would also provide the kind of veteran leadership that would directly answer the calls from management to bolster it. He's as strong of a leader, individually speaking, as there is in the league. Firey, too. Total alpha male.

Thornton might make sense in addition to Tavares, especially if you trade one of Hayes/Zib, but I'm not sure the math works.

The time for Jumbo was last year, because he could have slotted in as the 2C and get a billion favorable starts, but the moment has passed.

I heard on SiriusXM that the Sharks have hinted that the time has passed on Joe and that they think they are a better team w/o him. Maybe they just want his price really low, but there is no way they will even pay 4 mil.

I think it will have to be 3 mil or less. Or maybe they do a Mike Fisher with him. He does want to go back to SJ, that is certain.

Archived