• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Targeting Young Players

ThirtyONE

There are a few teams that have young players that are lower in the standing than they want to be. Teams that aren't really rebuilding but looking for older/different faces to help an already young core.

- Edmonton

- Carolina

- Florida

- Arizona

- Detroit

Each one of these teams have valuable players. Would there be a creative option to swap someone like Mats Zuccarello or Ryan McDonough to Florida for one of their young stars? Barkov? Ekblad? What about Max Domi? Jeff Skinner? Tartar? RNH?

Saad in Chicago is a buy-low option. It seems like the options are endless with this "fire sale" initiative. Along with picks, younger, skilled players are also in need. I know I'm missing teams and players but it seems like things could get creative here.

I can't imagine Arizona, Carolina, Florida, or even Detroit interested in our older players....especially those about to his UFA status.

Edmonton comes to mind, simply because they've been underperforming and may need some leadership. But that is a team leary of signing upcoming UFA players, (due to inability to keep or attract talent).

McDonagh also has a 10 team NTC so he might be blocking certain teams that have the assets we would want. Can't imaging he would want Arizona for instance.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No, but it's not 21. The bigger issue on RNH is price. Part of the reason you'd move Miller is becuase he's going to get near $5M on his next deal. So you move him for a guy who makes $6M? Why?

First, I wanna backtrack and say we need to be focused on moving Nash, Grabs, Holden and likely McD and teams like the above are not really candidates for the UFAs. McD doesn't really work with any of those clubs either, for diff reasons. Therefore, we can't be spending time dealing with those teams at the moment. Additionally, if I'm going to trade Miller or Zuc, I'll wait to get all offers and explore if either could be part of a bigger package.

For that reason, I don't do Miller for RNH at the moment. However, if you told me the day before the deadline that we traded Nash, Grabs and McD for Tolvanen, Kyrou and two #1s, then I'd say trade Miller for RNH.

Why? 6 mil for the next 3 prime years is almost perfect. Maybe better than Miller at 5 mil for 5 years. RNH is only making 15% more. Just being a legit top 6 C is worth the extra 15%. Also RNH is a better player and likely will continue to be a better player. His O is as good and his D is light years ahead of Miller. That is also worth the extra mil.

Plus if the trades yield us wingers and D, we still need a C. The draft is strong on D and wingers too. Chytil and Lias can play wing, as well. RNH does not have a NTC, we can move him later if we want.

So, it's a binary decision. Would you rather have RNH at 6 mil for 3 or Miller at 5 mil for 5? If the other trades do not yield a C prospect, the answer is RNH.

Brooks was saying that Arizona has made Max Domi available, but what they want in return I really don’t know

The Arizona broadcaster said such last week. He said they want a 1st plus a young roster player, but they'd be open to other options. Doesn't feel like a fit though. Also don't see Arizona much, but I haven't been that impressed.

BTW, I really don't mean to pine for a Miller/RNH trade, it is not what I'm worried about at the moment. Plus, I'd actually prefer if RNH had 4 years left on his deal, instead of 3.

What! A 1 st Rd pick! Domi has 4 goals this year and has been on a decline since his rookie year. They are not gonna get much more than what they got for Anthony Duclair. Duclair has 20pts in 44games Domi has 22 pts in 54 games.

Any team trading for him is taking a big risk?-But it could be a big reward if they can fix him.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The Arizona broadcaster said such last week. He said they want a 1st plus a young roster player, but they'd be open to other options. Doesn't feel like a fit though. Also don't see Arizona much, but I haven't been that impressed.

Domi would be a fit in a sense that he's a high-upside young player. The problem is that he's not on a team willing to take on vets, and it's hard to think of any team giving up much in the way of picks/prospects for him. It woudl almost have to be a change of scenery thing for it to work.

No thanks on Domi - hasn't shown anything to justify the belief he's going to hit whatever high ceiling he was projected to hit. His play has only continued to deteriorate. I get it his on a shit team but he's more of a risk than anything at this point in his career. I would be beyond shocked if anybody gave up a first round pic for him. We already have enough young guys that haven't proven to be what we thought they would be.

No thanks on Domi - hasn't shown anything to justify the belief he's going to hit whatever high ceiling he was projected to hit. His play has only continued to deteriorate. I get it his on a shit team but he's more of a risk than anything at this point in his career. I would be beyond shocked if anybody gave up a first round pic for him. We already have enough young guys that haven't proven to be what we thought they would be.

What young players do the Rangers have that haven't hit their ceiling?

The fact that his play has gone downhill is why you could try to pry him away from ARZ, but you don't do it at a high price to minimize risk. He's the ideal low-risk, high reward candidate.

What young players do the Rangers have that haven't hit their ceiling?

The fact that his play has gone downhill is why you could try to pry him away from ARZ, but you don't do it at a high price to minimize risk. He's the ideal low-risk, high reward candidate.

Agreed. Rangers don’t have any high skill guys (aside from buch). We know what Miller is. We know what Hayes is. We know what Vesey is. Someone like Domi would be a risk worth taking imo.

said it before I think Vesey, Miller, Kreider, Buch, Zib, and if they haven't underachieved that's even worse because that means they're just not remotely good enough to move this team forward. Forget the rest of the garbage forwards on the team (excluding Nash, Zucc and Grabner). Who hasn't underachieved of flat out just isn't good enough, Fast and Hayes?

said it before I think Vesey, Miller, Kreider, Buch, Zib, and if they haven't underachieved that's even worse because that means they're just not remotely good enough to move this team forward. Forget the rest of the garbage forwards on the team (excluding Nash, Zucc and Grabner). Who hasn't underachieved, Fast and Hayes?

Fair enough, I guess I just wasn't really considering them young guys. Didn't consider Buch but he's, realistically, still int he development phase.

I think your expectations for Vesey, Miller, Kreider and Zib are too high. Vesey was a third-round pick who is in his second season, Zib was a PPG player before the injury. Miller and Kreider maybe can be a bit more productive, but it's not like they're going to be 80-point guys.

Archived