• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign 23-Year-Old UFA F Michael Lindqvist

josh

Not sure why we're signing players without a coach to have any input. I also was wondering if there are any players available that are over 6' 2" and 220 lbs on planet Earth for us. .....we never seem to get many of those, do we?

Anyway, here's hoping he's a good player. I know more about quadratic equations than I know about this dude.

Not sure why we're signing players without a coach to have any input.

Lots of reasons - you wouldn't expect the next head coach to have an informed opinion on this guy anyway. I'm sure the Rangers have scouted him over an extended period and they most likely had to move fast so other teams didn't grab him.

Very interesting player to get at a good age. If he was an American 23-year-old emerging from the NCAA he would be extremely hyped. Very solid stats from the SHL and definitely worth a punt in a rebuilding year.

Being a sweaty and sleepless night, I saw this at about 2 a.m. on IG and I thought "nice."

That said, the top 6 probably needs most help and this is unlikely to assist there, but we already knew that.

Anyway, welcome to the org, Lindqvist, you are going to make it fun for Sam, assuming you crack the lineup, (which I'm assuming he will).

couple more tidbits here but not much

https://www.ontheforecheck.com/2018/2/9/16927912/predators-prospects-scouting-report-swedish-free-agents

Not sure why we're signing players without a coach to have any input. I also was wondering if there are any players available that are over 6' 2" and 220 lbs on planet Earth for us. .....we never seem to get many of those, do we?

Anyway, here's hoping he's a good player. I know more about quadratic equations than I know about this dude.

Well there are only 62 players, who played at least half the season, that are 220 pounds or more. That's only an average of 2 per team. Zibanejad is listed at 6'2" 227lbs and Krieder 6'3" 224 lbs.

Because size doesn't matter nearly as much as skill does.

Also, this. If a guy can put the puck in the net, who cares how big he is?

Small guys can't put the puck in the net without a "big" guy to take up space for them. It's why Buch is good with Kreider and Zib and doesn't do shit anywhere else.

Having said that, we need to get away from the terms "big" and "small." All that does is put players into a role that they don't necessarily fit. Brendan Gallagher is small, but he's more Lucic than St. Louis. Just break it into finesse, posession, and power...with shades of grey. Power players play in straight lines, possession players hold the puck until things open up, and finesse players find space. The first two create space, the latter capitalize on it - the handful of finesse guys who can create space are elite players in the league - P Kane, Goudreau, Seguin, Pastrnak.

Zuccarello doesn't do anything in the playoffs because he never has space. Jesper Fast can't make a play with the puck when anybody leans on him, because he's a finesse player. Stepan got traded because he wasn't strong enough on the puck to be a top-end 1C. MSL built a hall of fame career by being maybe the best ever at just finding space. These guys are all good players, but all dependent on linemates to draw defenders.

Kevin Hayes gets all kinds of shit for not being a thumper, but he's incredibly good at using his size to hold pucks, draw defenders, and give teammates space. Joe Thornton is first ballot because of that, John Tavares is the best in the world at it, and Ryan Getzlaf isn't that far behind. The latter 3 are able to take wingers who just understand spacing and turn them into 30-goal players. Wayne Simmonds, JVR and Gallagher can score with a revolving door of linemates because they're strong and skilled enough to clean up in front and, in turn, give other guys space because of the attention they require around the net.

I'm having trouble thinking of 5 finesse players in the league who you can say don't depend on space and are able to use puck skill alone to make linemates better. So no, size itself doesn't matter, but play strength and style does. Generally speaking, the small guys are the finesse guys and can't be effective without linemates drawing attention.

Archived