• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Free Agency Just Put Rangers at a Kevin Hayes Crossroads

Phil

One look at the cost of doing business on Sunday reveals this truth as self-evident: If Kevin Hayes reaches the open market next July, the recently turned 26-year-old center can expect a payday of around $30 million over five years, if not more.

So the choice confronting the Rangers and general manager Jeff Gorton over the next few weeks, if not the next few days, is whether to complete a deal with Hayes for a similar type of contract or complete a deal for him with one of the varied center-needy teams around the league.

But unless Gorton could entice a projected bottom-feeder to yield its first-rounder (keep dreaming), the objective in a hypothetical Hayes trade should be to bring back a player/players of comparable NHL present and future value. And that is considerable. If Hayes wasn?t the Rangers? best player from start to finish last season, he was sure close.

The Blueshirts need help and muscle on the wing. They have a crying need for help on the right side of the defense. The Bruins, who went all-in on Tavares, could be tempted to bring No. 13 home. Would Jake DeBrusk be off-limits here?

https://nypost.com/2018/07/02/free-agency-just-put-rangers-at-a-kevin-hayes-crossroads/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm fine with dealing him....pretty much at any point. Hayes is going to be at least 3 years older by the time the Rangers are relevant again, so yeah....whenever he's at his highest value point...

He's been a good player for us, I wish him the best.

I'm fine with dealing him....pretty much at any point. Hayes is going to be at least 3 years older by the time the Rangers are relevant again, so yeah....whenever he's at his highest value point...

He's been a good player for us, I wish him the best.

Ozzy don't rule out a 1 or 2 year rebuild. 3 years may sound logical now, but should not be set in stone. Mgmt has said a rebuild not a total teardown, they plan to contend sooner than later. They are willing to take there lumps and load up again this year. Yet, they will reassess this time next year. That assessment will supersede any timeframe considered today.

Hayes is staying unless a team ponies up relative to the ROR deal. Or a Trouba type deal. He is the most valuable C left on the mkt and he's not really on the market. That's the way the Rangers should play it too.

Debrusk isn't a bad suggestion, though i'd like Debrusk plus. How about Debrusk and DeCarlo for Hayes and either Shatty or Vesey.

Trades aside, a 5 X 5 contract or even 5.25 (he asked 5.5) will only increase Hayes' value. It would like make him easier to trade. If we are avoiding a NTC, Gorton should wrap up the deal pronto.

Trades aside, a 5 X 5 contract or even 5.25 (he asked 5.5) will only increase Hayes' value. It would like make him easier to trade. If we are avoiding a NTC, Gorton should wrap up the deal pronto.

Agreed. If the necessity of a new long term rich contract reduces Hayes's value to us, it reduces his value to everyone else as well. We don't get more back than he is worth to us when every other team faces the same issues. Book him to a 5 X 5 contract that will contain at least some modified NMC as a condition of getting it done.

Archived