• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Eric Staal

Um...I think you might have some short-termed memory issues. Eric Staal was fucking awful last year for us. Not even just bad. Awful.

He had a wake-up call and fits in real well with that team but there was no way in hell that I would have wanted him on our team this season after the half-season we saw of him last year.

Typical Bruce Boudreau team. Regular season monsters. Crash and burn in the playoffs.

Why do you think that is? I know this is not really the original post but why would a guy be able to coach great in the regular season and then not be able to coach in the playoffs? You think he changes things too much come playoffs or doesn't change things enough? I would think maybe he over-coaches at times but would that really impact a whole team? His regular season coaching #'s are truly remarkable.

Why do you think that is? I know this is not really the original post but why would a guy be able to coach great in the regular season and then not be able to coach in the playoffs? You think he changes things too much come playoffs or doesn't change things enough? I would think maybe he over-coaches at times but would that really impact a whole team? His regular season coaching #'s are truly remarkable.

Ice gets smaller and he can't adjust

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Staal was a bad fit in NY last season. He changed his attitude, prepared better, found a better system... who knows why it works in MN and not NY. But there is something about the situation in MN that allows him to produce, and unfair to suggest that he would produce at this level for the 2016-7 NYR.

Yeah, Staal got here and didn't get anytime on the two lines. We trade a top prospect( actually a guy who got hyped for his play at the world juniors but none the less they pushed to get him in the deal) and 2-2nd Rd picks for a guy he wasted on the 3rd line. Hayes was lousy last year--had a 33% face-off win percentage and yet AV continued to play him at center. He benched Lindberg numerous times and rarely used Etem but some how he never bench Hayes despite his play. I think he even bench Miller a couple of times too. Stalberg--his career stats speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, Staal got here and didn't get anytime on the two lines. We trade a top prospect( actually a guy who got hyped for his play at the world juniors but none the less they pushed to get him in the deal) and 2-2nd Rd picks for a guy he wasted on the 3rd line. Hayes was lousy last year--had a 33% face-off win percentage and yet AV continued to play him at center. He benched Lindberg numerous times and rarely used Etem but some how he never bench Hayes despite his play. I think he even bench Miller a couple of times too. Stalberg--his career stats speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Point taken, but Saarela wasn't/isn't a top prospect.

Saarela was never deemed a top prospect. He was a prospect with solid potential that had a jump in performance. As Dunny said, they sold high on him. It was perfect. If the Rangers sold Gropp this season it would've been a similar move. I doubt you really see much from Saarela. There's a reason two seconds had to be added in addition to him.

I do remember. And even then I didn't care about Saarela and most people who hadn't overhyped him didn't.

The Rangers overpaid for Staal, not because of Saarela because of the seconds, and because of Staal's performance prior to and after the acquisition.

Agreed, my issue was the picks they gave away

#MakeBSBHGreatAgain

Archived