• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

RIP AOL Instant Messenger ? 1997-2017

Phil

It?s a sad moment: AIM, AOL?s long-running instant messenger service that was core to many people?s first social experiences on the internet, will shut down once and for all on December 15th. AOL announced the shutdown today, acknowledging that people now communicate in new ways online, so AIM is no longer needed.

?AIM tapped into new digital technologies and ignited a cultural shift, but the way in which we communicate with each other has profoundly changed,? writes Michael Albers, communications products VP at Oath (the Verizon behemoth that consumed AOL).

AOL cut off access to AIM from third-party chat clients back in March, hinting at this eventual shutdown. It?s hard to imagine that many people are still using AIM, so that change, nor this upcoming shutdown, are likely to make a huge difference.

AIM was one of the first and most successful instant messengers, widely used in the late ?90s and even throughout the 2000s. I was still using AIM to chat with my friends throughout college at the end of the decade, including to stay in touch with my (not-yet) significant other while she was studying abroad.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/6/16435690/aim-shutting-down-after-20-years-aol-instant-messenger

--

Forgot to post this earlier. This one cuts right to my adolescence.

Remember the apps where you could appear idle but you weren't?

At one point, I said fuck it and stopped using Away Messages. That really pissed people off.

Making chick screen names and messing with friends.

I think I even asked a chick to the prom over AIM.

The links in your profile that would tell you who was looking at it.

Damn... I have some seriously fond memories chatting away on aim at night with chicks when I should've been doing homework. It was great for talking to chicks that I was too much of a pussy to approach in class. I'd gladly go back to that over this social media nonsense where absolutely nothing is left to the imagination anymore

Damn... I have some seriously fond memories chatting away on aim at night with chicks when I should've been doing homework. It was great for talking to chicks that I was too much of a pussy to approach in class. I'd gladly go back to that over this social media nonsense where absolutely nothing is left to the imagination anymore

I completely agree.

Archived