• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Do Something About This Absurd [Points] System!

Sod16

Speaking my language.. 2 points for a win, 1 for a tie.. no more shootouts.. You lose in OT? you lost.. No point for you!

I'm with Flynn on this one....I'd even do away with the OT in the regular season. Save OT as a novelty, like it used to be way back when.

I remember when I was a kid, anytime the Rangers went to OT in the playoffs I used to get so nervous, I'd damn near leave a Cocoa Puff in my shorts in anticipation.

I'm with Flynn on this one....I'd even do away with the OT in the regular season. Save OT as a novelty, like it used to be way back when.

I remember when I was a kid, anytime the Rangers went to OT in the playoffs I used to get so nervous, I'd damn near leave a Cocoa Puff in my shorts in anticipation.

If I recall the NHL didn't institute overtime in the regular season until the early 80's. So until then, if the game was tied at the end of regulation, that was it.

2 points for a win, OT is 3v3 until someone scores

.5 point for OTL

No Shootout

In the past I've said no points for any loss, but I'm back and forth on that. There's something to be said about a team that can consistently play a tight game that takes OT to decide it. If they rack up extra points that way, then maybe that's a good thing because they are probably more playoff ready and would, possibly, generate a lot of good playoff OT games. Meet halfway and award a half point so that it isn't meaningless, but a bit less impactful.

If I recall the NHL didn't institute overtime in the regular season until the early 80's. So until then, if the game was tied at the end of regulation, that was it.

...Loved it that way!

Both teams got a point and got outta Dodge!! Winner got 2, loser got lost!

College Football and Hockey were better with ties. As Ozzy mentioned, scrap OT all together for all I care. Go the soccer format 3 for the win, 1 for the tie if you must .. Just make the win so much more valuable. I think the 3 on 3 and shootout are gimmicks, I'd rather leave from a hard fought 2-2 tie than watch a skills contest to decide you gets the extra point. I will never understand the concept of getting a point in a game you lost.

Old Fart Mode engaged!

And while I'm "Old Man Yelling at Clouds" give me back the Prince of Whales and Campbell Conferences and the Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe

There was no great groundswell demanding OT when it was first instituted, and there were far fewer regulation ties back then. I don't think you should get 2 points for a 3 on 3 skills competition, much less a shootout. Here are the regulation records of the Rangers and the two current wildcard teams, with points awarded 2-1-0, as they were through 1983.

NYI 19-15-17 55 Pts

Phil 20-17-16 56 Pts

NYR 23-22-7 53 Pts

We should be two points out of a playoff spot. I don't understand why the hockey press is not constantly pulling up numbers like these and decrying the number of ties (NY Tielanders)

• Like 2

There was no great groundswell demanding OT when it was first instituted, and there were far fewer regulation ties back then. I don't think you should get 2 points for a 3 on 3 skills competition, much less a shootout. Here are the regulation records of the Rangers and the two current wildcard teams, with points awarded 2-1-0, as they were through 1983.

NYI 19-15-17 55 Pts

Phil 20-17-16 56 Pts

NYR 23-22-7 53 Pts

We should be two points out of a playoff spot. I don't understand why the hockey press is not constantly pulling up numbers like these and decrying the number of ties (NY Tielanders)

Wow!! Thanks for doing the research, Sod...Holy shit!! That's a race!!!!

NYI 19-15-17 55 Pts

Phil 20-17-16 56 Pts

NYR 23-22-7 53 Pts

Awesome stuff..

I really think we have seen an entirely different brand of hockey created because of the OT and shootout changes. Play for the tie and hope your show ponies are better than their in the skills contest (or hope Robin Lehner is on the other team)

Sorry...I remember the games when both teams played not to lose towards the end of the game to ensure they still get a point. No overtime? No thank you. The 3-3 is entertaining as hell. One of the things the NHL has done right for the entertainment value of the game.

Sorry...I remember the games when both teams played not to lose towards the end of the game to ensure they still get a point. No overtime? No thank you. The 3-3 is entertaining as hell. One of the things the NHL has done right for the entertainment value of the game.

But that's exactly what they do now in regulation, far more so than pre-OT days. That's why there are so many more reg. ties now than in pre-OT days. Back then, if you wanted two points, you had to go for it in regulation. Now, the rational approach is to take no risks in regulation, secure the point, and then go for wins in regulation win, if taking a risk blows up on you and the other team scores, you still get a point. Look at the records I just quoted. There's your proof.