• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

OK — What to do with Strome Now?

The Dude

Well... He's still producing.

Is he worth 5 mill to everyone now?

Obviously he's a product of Panarin, but it's working. There's been little talk in the media about re-signing him.

Is he worth anything via trade?

And was this not Gortons best or at least most under the radar trade since coming here? Or did he do the Zib trade?

What's the latest opinions on this guy?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he's completely a product of Panarin, but keeping him depends on cost. At worst, they could keep him next year on a 1 year arbitration deal and trade him next year instead if he fades off a bit or they don't want to keep him. I don't see him going anywhere unless someone comes in and overpays (1st round pick?). I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd. Who's going to give a 1st for Strome? Probably nobody.

They need to keep him.

He’s definitely helped by playing with Panarin. And his shooting percentage has normalized quite a bit, down to around 16%, like a 7% decline over where he was at, which we all expected and knew was unsustainable.

But those two have chemistry, he’s at a point per game pace, and he’s at that seemingly significant 7th season mark in career for guys who get drafted high and enter the league at 18-20. Many guys come into the league at that age, kind of struggle, play at a middling level, bounce around a little, but they get to the stage and age he’s at now, on the right team and place, find some chemistry and take off.

I think that’s what’s happened with him.

If you find a way to get rid of any 2 of the three in Smith, Skjei, Staal then sure. Preferably Skjei and Smith with no salary retention since that’s the most savings to spend elsewhere. I don’t want to lose ADA specifically. I definitely want to keep Strome but I don’t see him taking a nickel less than 5m though. 5x3. I can live with that.

Trade him.

Offer 5m x 3y in offseason.

Can?t give this guy more than zibanejad is making right now.

I wonder if that would come up in discussions. Him making more than Zib would be weird, but Zib signed his contract right before he took off.

Im all for keeping Strome at >5m and 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If you think about it, the Rangers have a chance to establish a contract culture as the AVS and Boston to some extent. “Yes you deserve x,y,x but we aren’t paying you more than our A player.......so please accept a little less as others did and let’s keep this rolling”

If you think about it, the Rangers have a chance to establish a contract culture as the AVS and Boston to some extent. “Yes you deserve x,y,x but we aren’t paying you more than our A player.......so please accept a little less as others did and let’s keep this rolling”

Well, they just gave a shit load to Panarin and Trouba, so that’s going to be tough.

But, I agree with the concept.

Well, they just gave a shit load to Panarin and Trouba, so that?s going to be tough.

But, I agree with the concept.

Yeah for sure but it?s also works in the sense of ? our second best player in ziby makes x. We can?t give you more than that? Zibo is another animal because he performs at a level above everyone else.

If you can't lock him in on a 4 million X 4 years deal, I say sell high.

Considering that Ryan Dzingel got Ottowa a cost controlled NHL player(Anthony Duclair) and two 2nd rounders, I don't think it's out of the realm to think we couldn't get a top prospect and a late 1st rounder. Dzingel was nowhere near Strome's almost point per game production. Whatever they do, they cannot give him a market contract like 5.5 million X 5 years for really what is an exacerbated season's worth of production as Panarin's pivot. That spot should be earmarked for Chytil.

If you have him $5.5 and he comes back to earth as a 45 point player... He's not really overpaid.

The issue (as with Kreider) is term. No more than 4 years.

There's decent benefit to Strome on that too. Something like 5.5x3 lets Strome get three more years with Panarin and hit the UFA market at a relatively young (for UFAs) 29.

I imagine the worst case scenario is either a massive long-term, or that the Rangers qualify him at 3.4-ish (I believe), he elects arb, and we actually get to arb.

;998634]The thing about him ?being a product of Panarin? is that you have Panarin for the next 6 seasons after this one - Strome might not be Panarin?s center for years to come, but what if he is? Is it a problem to keep him with Panarin for years to come?
No, it's not a problem. You're spreading the offense.

And you have a player in Fast on the other wing who's NOT a product of Panarin because he still can't score, so we shouldn't act like anyone who's with Panarin automatically becomes a 70 point player.

No, it's not a problem. You're spreading the offense.

And you have a player in Fast on the other wing who's NOT a product of Panarin because he still can't score, so we shouldn't act like anyone who's with Panarin automatically becomes a 70 point player.

This is my biggest motivation for wanting to keep him. There?s chemistry, it works, and he?s playing well. Why ruin that? Chytil needs at least one more season as 3C before I think he can even be considered a 2c option, this may be a good way to not put unneeded pressure on him too.

This is my biggest motivation for wanting to keep him. There’s chemistry, it works, and he’s playing well. Why ruin that? Chytil needs at least one more season as 3C before I think he can even be considered a 2c option, this may be a good way to not put unneeded pressure on him too.

There's also nothing wrong with thinking of your lines as pairs +1. Looking at 2020-21...

There's the Panarin-Strome pair, the Zibanejad-Kravtsov pair, and the Chytil-Kakko pair. Sprinkle in appropriate wings on either left or right side based on what that pair needs to function best.

The thing about him ?being a product of Panarin? is that you have Panarin for the next 6 seasons after this one - Strome might not be Panarin?s center for years to come, but what if he is? Is it a problem to keep him with Panarin for years to come?

There?s absolutely no reason you can?t keep them together for however long if they?re both here. It?s working. Don?t fuck with it. As long as it works, keep them together.

It should also be pointed out that Panarin is having his absolute best season, pacing to set career highs in every offensive category, on the worst team he?s ever been on, and he?s doing that playing with Strome. He?s played with many a player much more of a name brand or considered a better offensive player than Strome.

They have real chemistry. While it?s certainly helping Strome?s numbers, they clearly compliment and are aiding one another.

If they can figure out the financials, why split them up?

Well... He's still producing.

Is he worth 5 mill to everyone now?

Obviously he's a product of Panarin, but it's working. There's been little talk in the media about re-signing him.

Is he worth anything via trade?

And was this not Gortons best or at least most under the radar trade since coming here? Or did he do the Zib trade?

What's the latest opinions on this guy?

OK ? What to do with Strome Now?

Uhhhh, keep him, obviously. Used the right way, he's more than most expected.