• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Favorite Stanley Cup Winning Teams

fletch

Yes, I know your favorite Stanley Cup Winning Team is the 1994 Rangers. Ignoring all Ranger Cup winning teams, what are your favorite Stanley Cup winning teams, and why?

Mine:

1996-7 Detroit Red Wings - Stever Yzerman, Sergei Federov, Nicklas Lidstrom, Igor Larionov, Brendan Shanahan. So much offensive skill on the ice, controlling the puck, fun to watch. Darren McCarty, Joey Kocur, some serious thumpers if the game got nasty.

1988-9 Calgary Flames - Hakan Loob, Doug Gilmour, Al MacInnis, Theo Fleury, Gary Roberts. Because the franchise has had so many disappointing and forgettable years, glad they got a cup

2000-1 Colorado Avalanche, because Ray Bourque won the Stanley Cup

Oddly, two of these three had Mike Vernon as goalie.

1998-1999 would have been great if Buffalo Sabres and Hasek could have taken out the Stars

'94 Rangers

/thread

Lol.

2012 Kings were amazing to watch. That run was just special. Eighth seed who lost four games all postseason.

If I take off my Rangers-tinted-glasses, last year's Pens were also pretty fun to watch and another good story. Mid-season coaching change, all of the youth playing "big" roles at the end of the season. Matt fucking Murray.

'96 Avs.

'94 Rangers

/thread

Lol.

2012 Kings were amazing to watch. That run was just special. Eighth seed who lost four games all postseason.

If I take off my Rangers-tinted-glasses, last year's Pens were also pretty fun to watch and another good story. Mid-season coaching change, all of the youth playing "big" roles at the end of the season. Matt fucking Murray.

'96 Avs.

That "8th seed" was 2 points from being a 3 seed.

2016/17 New York Rangers

Every one thought they were stupid for "failing" to hold onto the 1st Wild Card to avoid the Metropolitan Division and match up with Montreal in the first round, instead pushing out Columbus. That set up a first round battle with the defending Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Well, they beat the Penguins in 6, then defeated Washington in 5. They still got their match up with Montreal coming out of Atlantic in the Conference Final, going to that thrilling game 7 double OT where Kreider fittingly scored the series winning goal, after a lengthy review showed he was pushed into Carey Price (who is now out for all of next season) and that the puck crossed the line before the net came dislodged.

Then to win the Cup in 5 games on home ice against the LA Kings, themselves on another improbable run from their 8th seed finish, to mirror the 2014 Stanley Cup Final? You can't make that shit up.

2016/17 New York Rangers

Every one thought they were stupid for "failing" to hold onto the 1st Wild Card to avoid the Metropolitan Division and match up with Montreal in the first round, instead pushing out Columbus. That set up a first round battle with the defending Champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Well, they beat the Penguins in 6, then defeated Washington in 5. They still got their match up with Montreal coming out of Atlantic in the Conference Final, going to that thrilling game 7 double OT where Kreider fittingly scored the series winning goal, after a lengthy review showed he was pushed into Carey Price (who is now out for all of next season) and that the puck crossed the line before the net came dislodged.

Then to win the Cup in 5 games on home ice against the LA Kings, themselves on another improbable run from their 8th seed finish, to mirror the 2014 Stanley Cup Final? You can't make that shit up.

Make it so

08 Wings was first Euro captain, right? I remember all the silly xenophobic nonsense permeating that season about how you couldn't have a Euro captain and win. Then Lidstr?m was like hey fucked, Don Cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yep. All the more reason I enjoyed it, I'm sure. It was also peak Datsyuk, which is just the best.

Archived