• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Does Jesper Fast Bring To This Team?

ThirtyONE

Asking for a friend...

So, I'm perpetually amazed every time Jesper Fast is in the lineup. I don't mean to shit on the guy but I'm seriously asking what he brings to the lineup night in and night out? Sure, he tries hard. That's nice. But he's a 4th liner who doesn't really do any of the things you'd like a 4th liner to do. He's small, easily knocked off the puck, doesn't get physical at all, and can't grind in the corners or dirty areas. He's a skill player without the skill. In fact, I'd argue Lindberg, Fast, Puemple, and Pirri are all the same exact player. How is it that Fast get's slotted up into the top 9 or even top 6? A few games ago he was on the ice while down a goal with 1 minute remaining. Why? Why is he in the lineup night in and night out while everyone else takes a turn in the press box?

Again, maybe I'm missing something. I really would love someone to explain this to me, because I haven't been able to understand it for a few seasons now. He's far from the problem on this team but part of an overall issue that AV seems to bring with him: his teams are soft.

Please help me not be angry.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're angry at Jesper Fast, I think you've got a bigger problem LOL

I can't disagree with some of the points you made but let's remember you're talking about a low cost forward who's defensively responsible and usually not a liability. He's a 4th, 3rd liner on good days.

Why is he playing instead of sitting? Probably because he's got the AV's trust. I don't think he should be slotted on the top lies at all but I don't worry when it happens. His biggest problem is that he doesn't have the hands to compliment his hockey IQ. He's a smart player. Idk what you really want from him?

Regarding some of the other players you mentioned, Pirri is fargin terrible and can't do anything right aside from taking a good shot here and there. Puemples game away from the puck isn't great. As for Lindberg idk what AVs problem with him is. He should be playing more but he seems to have a short leash.

Fast

- Young

- Cost controlled

- Great quickness

- Defensively very responsible

- Can play in any situation

- Chemistry with Lindberg

Right now he's best suited for our 4th line. Him not being on it has more to do with Vesey disappearing, and Miller being terrible away from the puck, (lately)

Asking for a friend...

So, I'm perpetually amazed every time Jesper Fast is in the lineup. I don't mean to shit on the guy but I'm seriously asking what he brings to the lineup night in and night out? Sure, he tries hard. That's nice. But he's a 4th liner who doesn't really do any of the things you'd like a 4th liner to do. He's small, easily knocked off the puck, doesn't get physical at all, and can't grind in the corners or dirty areas. He's a skill player without the skill. In fact, I'd argue Lindberg, Fast, Puemple, and Pirri are all the same exact player. How is it that Fast get's slotted up into the top 9 or even top 6? A few games ago he was on the ice while down a goal with 1 minute remaining. Why? Why is he in the lineup night in and night out while everyone else takes a turn in the press box?

Again, maybe I'm missing something. I really would love someone to explain this to me, because I haven't been able to understand it for a few seasons now. He's far from the problem on this team but part of an overall issue that AV seems to bring with him: his teams are soft.

Please help me not be angry.

Taking you literally, that you are asking for a friend and want to not to be angry with him.

Here's why you should not be angry. Watching casually one can miss how effective and impactful Fast (and Lindberg) are and how many little things he does right. Fast is a young player who does not rack up the points or make many flashy plays. However, he does so much of what the team needs, well. He is extremely quick and he can cut to the open spot faster than most. His positioning and on ice awareness makes him even more efficient. He knows where the play is going, where to be and what to do. He is the rare type that can be an aggressive F1 on the rush or forecheck and still be strong on the backcheck when possession is lost. He rarely makes mistakes or turnovers. He wins 50/50 battles. His effort is over the top, he'll bang anyone in the quest for the puck and always keeps his wheels moving.

He adds value with defensive accumen and skills the way Hags did. Such as on the PK, protecting a lead or in the last few minutes. He can play either wing and slot up and down the lineup. He is more than solid, tough, unselfish and mature. Decent shot too. Typical well-schooled Swede with more upside in his game.

I disagree with those saying Pirri or Puempel are anywhere near the same level as Fast and Lindberg . They are not now, nor do they have the upside in the future. I've been afraid of losing either of the two in expansion, more than the others. Hopefully we trade a pick to Vegas so they take a lesser player.

Frankly, I can't wait to see a 4th line of Fast-Lind- (Grabner/Vesey/Buch) skate circles around that slow goonish 4th line the Habs put together at the deadline. The 3rd and 4th lines can make a huge difference in the playoffs, where there can be wider mismatches in talent and speed. If we have our top 12 forward healthy for the playoffs, I expect our bottom six to dominate.

I don't understand why anyone would be complaining about what Fast brings. The guy is a great defensive forward. He is reliable and is usually in position and can be relied on in big defensive situations, and has the ability to pop a goal in here and there. he is the essential 3rd/4th liner that can jump up in the lineup when there is an injury. He is by far one of the least concerns of this team.

Let's also note that Fast makes 950k currently. With his role on the team and RFA status, I don't think he gets much of a raise over the summer, so he's still a great and effective bottom sixer.

In 2014, when Fast was barely cracking the NYR lineup, I was weary of him, but he's won me over since then.

Also, to compare the 2015 season for these three guys:

Fast: 58GP 6/8/14 8PIM

Pirri: 49GP 22/2/24 14PIM

Puempel: 13GP 2/1/3 8PIM

Also adding Puempel's 2016 season: 26GP 2/1/3 9PIM

So sure, on paper we can see that Pirri scores more goals, but the eye test doesn't have them anywhere near each other in terms of situational awareness or just being good at hockey. This is also keeping in mind that Fast doesn't play on the PP, and he still has those sneaky hands which he uses for deflections in front of the net. Purmpel's sample is so small that it's hard to compare him to the other two with last year's stats, but combining the '15 and '16 season stats, you get a bit more of a picture. Less games played, but also scoring at a lower clip and taking more penalties.

Fast is cheap and responsible. That makes him solid for his role.

That's not really fair considering the number of games Fast has played in the top 9.

Well... in comparison he also gets tons of D zone starts, primary PKer, no PP, important final minute action and relieves Vesey or Buch in 3rd periods with the lead.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on +/-, it is a tiny data point. However, the point is still fair. How about this for a good but different metric? We offer Vegas a 3rd rounder, maybe even instead a 2nd for them to choose Pirri or Puempel (or Holden/Klein, not to derail things) instead of Fast. Vegas surely turns down the "free" 3rd and probably turns down the 2nd rounder, preferring Fast. That is the bottom line.

Well... in comparison he also gets tons of D zone starts, primary PKer, no PP, important final minute action and relieves Vesey or Buch in 3rd periods with the lead.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on +/-, it is a tiny data point. However, the point is still fair. How about this for a good but different metric? We offer Vegas a 3rd rounder, maybe even instead a 2nd for them to choose Pirri or Puempel (or Holden/Klein, not to derail things) instead of Fast. Vegas surely turns down the "free" 3rd and probably turns down the 2nd rounder, preferring Fast. That is the bottom line.

I'm not sure I follow. You're saying we offer Vegas a 2nd so that they don't take Fast, and you think they still take him?

Fast isn't worth a second-round pick. But regardless, why would Gorton do that when Vegas could just go ahead and take Lindberg who, right now, is probably the better player.

I'm not sure I follow. You're saying we offer Vegas a 2nd so that they don't take Fast, and you think they still take him?

Fast isn't worth a second-round pick. But regardless, why would Gorton do that when Vegas could just go ahead and take Lindberg who, right now, is probably the better player.

The original point was that Pirri or Puempel are not of the same quality of player as Fast or Lindberg. Someone used +/- to validate. You were not convinced? I understand, so I created a more real world test. If Vegas was given the choice of Fast (or Lindberg for that matter, or pretend we trade Oscar so he is not available) versus Pirri/Puempel (the two guys they are being compared to) + a 3rd, which would Vegas choose? They'd choose Fast and forego the 3rd and Pirri/Puempel. That perspective should speak volumes to their comparative value. I think they'd even pass if it was a 2nd rounder.

As a side note, yes I do think Fast or Lindberg are worth a 2nd round pick and I still would not trade either of them for a 2nd. Obviously, pick #32 is very different from pick #60, but you get the point. In contrast, I'd dump P or P for 4th. Clearly they have different value. You are free to disagree.

How about this? This best represents my thinking.

1. Trade Vegas a 3rd rounder to not choose Fast, Lindberg or Grabner.

or

2. Trade Vegas a 2nd to not choose Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or Raanta.

or

3. Trade Vegas our 1st and they select Girardi who agrees to waive his NMC.

I would love to make one of these trades.

How about this? This best represents my thinking.

1. Trade Vegas a 3rd rounder to not choose Fast, Lindberg or Grabner.

or

2. Trade Vegas a 2nd to not choose Fast, Lindberg, Grabner or Raanta.

or

3. Trade Vegas our 1st and they select Girardi after he agrees to waive his NMC.

I would love to make one of these trades.

if Vegas goes after someone like Bishop with a huge contract i just find it hard to believe they wouldn't want Raanta

didnt Piri see loads of PP time? Point being Fast starts his shifts in the defensive zone mostly and is a + player.

PP doesn't count towards +/-

Fast is obviously a better defensive player than Pirri, but comparing their +/- just doesn't work I don't think

if Vegas goes after someone like Bishop with a huge contract i just find it hard to believe they wouldn't want Raanta

I def think Vegas would prefer Fast or Lindberg (young, cost-controlled, upside and one is a C) to Raanta. However, Raanta's contract is cheap. The issue with Raanta is he will be a FA in 2018. Raanta is a good choice if they see him like Talbot and extend him, especially if they do not see landing Bishop.

There are better and younger options than Raanta despite how good he's been. Grubauer will definitely be one of the picks for Vegas. Probably Calvin Pickard if Colorado chooses to protect Varlamov, but I could even see Varlamov being selected if they think he can overcome his injury struggles.

One of Fast, Grabner or Lindberg definitely goes.

Archived