• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundqvist Unveils Special '94 Mike Richter Tribute Mask

Phil

More '94 nostalgia! MSG cannot sell you on much else.

Between Torts thinking scoring goals are bad and AV being a pussy, this franchise did not get through that last window.

I recall NYR/Penguins in 1992 when Mike Richter gave up a total shit 60 footer in the ECF that ultimately led to a series loss. Richter was a very good goalie; had a stretch from 1994 playoffs through 1995 World Cup where he was as good as anyone. But the rest of his career, if impacted by injuries, was merely good.

WIngs, Devils, CBH and Kings have all won multiple Cups in the interim and NONE OF THEM get this carried away. 1994 is becoming 1940 all over again.

That mask is nothing short of perfect.

One great Ranger goaltender is paying tribute to another one.

Just like what we did in 1994 with Mike Richter, we need to do the same with Hank that is to win the Stanley Cup.

That is how we can fulfill the career of a Legend

I recall NYR/Penguins in 1992 when Mike Richter gave up a total shit 60 footer in the ECF that ultimately led to a series loss. Richter was a very good goalie; had a stretch from 1994 playoffs through 1995 World Cup where he was as good as anyone.

The goal in 92 was brutal as any I can remember in the playoffs. You are spot on with Richter as a very good goalie.

WIngs, Devils, CBH and Kings have all won multiple Cups in the interim and NONE OF THEM get this carried away. 1994 is becoming 1940 all over again.

One cup in 79 years blows

The goal in 92 was brutal as any I can remember in the playoffs. You are spot on with Richter as a very good goalie.

One cup in 79 years blows

As Rangers fans, we don't like to admit it but it is very true

it's been an identity that we've had since 1940, besides 1994: we have not been able to take that next step to win the Stanley Cup Final.

The closest we got to the Cup in those 53 years was 1972 in which Boston beat us in 6 games

Watching game 4 on MSG, holy shit Leetch was awesome, I appreciate it even more now watching

Have an ongoing argument RE-who is the best American-born defenseman, Leetch vs. Chelios. Longevity and physicality, give to Chelois, but Leetch offensively was incredible, and defensively around his net excellent. Suspect in part because he played in NY he actually got shortchanged. Played 1994 playoffs with a broken ankle that was frozen every pregame, and managed to win the Con Smythe.

Have an ongoing argument RE-who is the best American-born defenseman, Leetch vs. Chelios. Longevity and physicality, give to Chelois, but Leetch offensively was incredible, and defensively around his net excellent. Suspect in part because he played in NY he actually got shortchanged. Played 1994 playoffs with a broken ankle that was frozen every pregame, and managed to win the Con Smythe.

Both were very good, but would give the nod to Leetch.. Leetch's game could easily translate to today's game not sure about Chelly.

Chelios by a wide margin according to Mad Mike.

Chelios by a wide margin according to Mad Mike.

Chelios vs Leetch hockey reference

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/chelich01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/leetcbr01.html

Chelios played in NHL hockey games with Atlanta at age 48, which is unbelievable, so longevity and sustained excellence I would give to Chelios.

Looking at each player age 27-33, Leetch had some unbelievable years. So you could argue Brian Leetch peak was better than Chris Chelios peak.

Chelios had 3 SCs, Leetch 1. Chelios won a SC at age 24, age 40, and age 46.

The Ranger fan in me wants to make the case for Leetch, but I would give the nod to Chelios.

Archived