• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Long Will it Take for the Rangers to Become Legitimate Stanley Cup Contenders?

fletch

According to the article, longer than most around here would like, unfortunately. Excerpts from the article below

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22371354/nhl-how-long-take-new-york-rangers-become-legitimate-stanley-cup-contenders-again

Chris Peters: "The Rangers will need three years to start seeing positive results -- and four or five years before they rejoin the contender conversation."

Ben Arledge: "Let's not kid ourselves, though. The Rangers haven't looked like true contenders since the 2014-15 season. Sure, they made the playoffs in the two seasons since, but did anyone actually view them as serious Cup threats? Sending this roster to the body shop for some serious work is the right thing to do at this point. This breakdown has been a long time coming, and it's nice to see the organization commit to it, rather than get stuck guessing between contention and rebuilding. I got the Rangers being back by the onset of the 2020-21 season."

Greg Wyshynski:"How long before the Rangers are Stanley Cup contenders again? A lot depends on how deep into the tank they go. Andersson and fellow 2017 draft pick Filip Chytil could be the future. Depending on the rebuild and the lottery odds, perhaps so could be Rasmus Dahlin in 2018 or Jack Hughes in 2019, both of whom are franchise-altering talents. The Rangers should also get a boost from the picks and prospects they acquire in this sell-off. So the general answer is that it won't take long. Not in a league where turnarounds can happen quickly, thanks to the ever-giving gift of parity."

Emily Kaplan: "On one hand, New York has made the playoffs in 11 of the past 12 seasons, including winning a Presidents' Trophy and making a trip to the Cup Final in 2014; on the other hand, the Rangers didn't win a Cup during that span and are left wondering: Were the additions of Rick Nash, Martin St. Louis and Keith Yandle worth it?"

I think it provides a good road map for the rebuild. Do we bottom out enough that Dahlin, Hughes, or potentially generational players are available? How do Anderson and Chytil develop? Do Mika Zibanejad, Jimmy Vesey, Pavel Buchnevich, and J.T. Miller step to the next level? Will Lundqvist's play be good enough that he backstops the next run, or will that role fall to Shestyorkin or someone else?

I'm glad management isn't in 'win a Cup for Hank mode' - I don't care who is in the net when they Rangers win their next cup, and sentimentality will only interfere with the tough choices on players that have to be made.

Not in this case. This question shouldn't even be asked yet. Ask me once the trades are done, and then again after the Draft.

Even then you won?t really know.. never know how guys will turn out in the end. Hard to even guesstimate since literally no moves have been made yet and we don?t know where this team stands.

Also don?t know if Gorts will do a full on fire sale or just move 2 guys and try to add fitting pieces while stocking up on some extra picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There may be an earlier window, as they bring in UFA help (think Tavares) but how long it takes 18 year old picks to develop into 3-year NHL Veterans just could be the middle of that window...(3-6 years depending on talent maturity seasoning etc) it’s a long term project. Sobering thoughts.

As much as I would want Tavares I feel this just became really unlikely with the Rangers recent acknowledgement of turning the team over. Even the most optimistic projection would put the next two seasons as "rebuilding". Why would he want to be a part of that?

As much as I would want Tavares I feel this just became really unlikely with the Rangers recent acknowledgement of turning the team over. Even the most optimistic projection would put the next two seasons as "rebuilding". Why would he want to be a part of that?

Yea. He?s gone on record as saying he wants to play for a team doing everything to win. I didn?t interpret that as willing to go through a rebuild... again.

One thing doesn?t change though, Rangers MUST get a legit 1C In this rebuild.

Archived