• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rebuilding is a Multi-Year Affair

Dave

I know the Rangers took a lot of defensemen in this year's draft to add to the prospect pool they already have and quite a few people wanted them to grab some wingers, but it's all shaping up nicely in my estimation.

Here's who they had in their system prior to the 2018 draft:

Defenders (age):

Skjei (24)

Pionk (22)

DeAngelo (22)

Rykov (21)

Hajek (20)

Day (20)

Lindgren (20)

Centers (age):

Howden (20)

Andersson (19)

Chtyil (18)

Wingers (age):

Buchnevich (23)

Lettieri (23)

Lindqvist (23)

Meskanen (22)

Gropp (21)

Ronning (20)

Gettinger (20)

Goalies (age):

Mazanec (26)

Nell (23)

Shestoyorkin (22)

Georgiev (22)

Halverson (22)

Huska (21)

Wall (20)

Stocking up on a bunch of 18 and 19 year old defensemen along with an elite winger prospect was the right move. Next year, as they continue the rebuild, I would think they'll grab another center or two, along with a bunch of wingers. Since traditional development sees goalies take the longest, then defensemen, then centers and finally wingers, this path makes the most sense to me. I'm not even hating adding an 18 year old goalie to the system, although I wish they would have waited til the 3rd or 4th round to do it.

I’m fine with drafting a goalie but not in the 2nd round

Right. Especially given that the Rangers haven't had a second-round pick work on a goalie since Richter. Just doesn't work in the first two rounds. The value is elsewhere.

I'm fine with some of the selections the Rangers made on day 2. There were plenty of defensemen I liked that I would've taken multiples of. Just not particularly some of the guys the Rangers took, and that includes guys in the deep rounds.

At least you can't say that the Rangers don't have a significant prospect pool.

I get it, rebuilding takes time. I'm fine with it. On the whole, I'd probably grade their draft a C.

But given how many times they gave higher ranked players—Wahlstrom, Dobson, Wilde most notably—away to the Islanders to take "their" players is the kind of decision making that can burn them for the next 15-plus years.

I'm not so much concerned with the pace of their rebuild, but their strategy that willfully passed on more talented players for the second straight year.

Where will everyone play next year? Skjei, Buch will obviously play in the NHL, most likely Chytil, ADA, Pionk and Georgiev too. Lias, Lettieri, Meskanen and Gropp will try and secure a roster spot in training camp and if not they'll play in the AHL.

But what about Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Howden, Ronning, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, all the goalies and all the rest of the picks? Will most of them join Hartford? Play overseas? College?

Where will everyone play next year? Skjei, Buch will obviously play in the NHL, most likely Chytil, ADA, Pionk and Georgiev too. Lias, Lettieri, Meskanen and Gropp will try and secure a roster spot in training camp and if not they'll play in the AHL.

But what about Rykov, Hajek, Lindgren, Day, Howden, Ronning, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, all the goalies and all the rest of the picks? Will most of them join Hartford? Play overseas? College?

Gorton said:

Hajek, Howden: Ready to turn pro. Will give it a shot at camp.

Lundkvist: Another year in Sweden

Miller: U of Wisconsin

Kravtsov: He's not really giving a straight answer. They'll have a chat with him and his agent. Could go the "Chytil route", i.e. come over straight away and either make the team or play in the A. Could also stay in Russia for another year.

Day: Will give it a shot at camp.

Gorton said:

Hajek, Howden: Ready to turn pro. Will give it a shot at camp.

Lundkvist: Another year in Sweden

Miller: U of Wisconsin

Kravtsov: He's not really giving a straight answer. They'll have a chat with him and his agent. Could go the "Chytil route", i.e. come over straight away and either make the team or play in the A. Could also stay in Russia for another year.

Day: Will give it a shot at camp.

Please correct or expand. Probably worth having some kind of grid we can fill out as lower picks shake out and join teams.

Rykov and Shestyorkin: One more year in KHL

Lindgren: Left UMN and signed an ECL, so Hartford likely

Ronning: Finished juniors and signed ECL, so Hartford if he can cut it now - maybe ECHL if not

Lindbom: Another year in SHL?

Hughes: Committed to Northeastern

You gotta figure training camp will be a spirited affair. There's a whole lot of dream fulfillment and opportunity available to those who can grab it.

Please correct or expand. Probably worth having some kind of grid we can fill out as lower picks shake out and join teams.

Rykov and Shestyorkin: One more year in KHL

Lindgren: Left UMN and signed an ECL, so Hartford likely

Ronning: Finished juniors and signed ECL, so Hartford if he can cut it now - maybe ECHL if not

Lindbom: Another year in SHL?

Hughes: Committed to Northeastern

You gotta figure training camp will be a spirited affair. There's a whole lot of dream fulfillment and opportunity available to those who can grab it.

That's Entry Level Contract (ELC), not ECL.

Why did I think Day was a small defenseman? I just realized he's 6'3"

Maybe because he's such a good skater?

I can't think of a more fun D-pair to watch, potentially, than Day and K'Andre. That size and skating ability would be awesome.

I'd hesitate to add Vinni with this group. He's still sort of young (23) to completely write off but I was not impressed at all (outside of training camp) with what he brings to the table.

I'd hesitate to add Vinni with this group. He's still sort of young (23) to completely write off but I was not impressed at all (outside of training camp) with what he brings to the table.

Really? What didn't you like about him?

I think he needs to be more physical to consistently make an impact in the NHL, but I liked that he was shoot first and played a fast game.

Because he's small and doesn't do any one thing particularly well besides shoot, but he's not great at finding soft ice and getting open for shots.

He'll go to the net though, which I guess Quinn will like.

Definitely. Real life will play out. If they are at camp they'll have an opportunity to impress. It is nice to have a new coach with fewer preconceived opinions. Plus new system, fresh practices, upbeat communicator with a mission to develop this year w/o the same pressure to win, as years prior.

If anything, that will translate to allowing youth to make some mistakes w/o them glued to the bench or pressbox for extended periods. More latitude because improving is Job #1.

However, some of them will have had to improve measurably, to impress enough. There are concerns that guys like Vinni may not have all the tools (size, strength, stick skills) to raise their ceiling. He is good at a enough things to think he has a small chance, though.

I'd like to see a line of Gettinger ( L ) 6'6" , Howden © 6'3" Kravtsov ( R ) 6'3" . Youth, Skill and Size. Dominate.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

....if only!!!

If we went out and got some up & coming physical players who coupled with some rough-housers...we could make this rebuild a whole lot more entertaining!

....if only!!!

If we went out and got some up & coming physical players who coupled with some rough-housers...we could make this rebuild a whole lot more entertaining!

That's what I'm screamin. If we're going to suck, may as well make the game interesting. Not goon fighting, just some good ol heavy hitters.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived