• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sabres Acquire Jeff Skinner from Hurricanes for Cliff Pu, Picks

Phil

Im not saying Skinner sucks by any means, but he is one hit away from his career being over. You can't ignore his injuries.

So is anyone. One hit can end anyone's career, regardless of the number of concussions they've suffered prior. Sauer had a couple before the NHL. Then Phaneuf.

The point is, he's been relatively healthy and has largely carried the Canes' scoring for the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

So is anyone. One hit can end anyone's career, regardless of the number of concussions they've suffered prior. Sauer had a couple before the NHL. Then Phaneuf.

The point is, he's been relatively healthy and has largely carried the Canes' scoring for the last three years.

Yes anyone can, but he is more susceptible than the other players due to his past, and he has had some pretty serious concussions. Sauer had numerous injury issues, and he didn't last very long at the NHL level because of it.

I suppose it was the best deal the Canes got, so they just pulled the trigger.

Replacing his goal scoring is going to be tough, but they are going with youth and are hoping that Svech and Necas pick up the pieces.

I do think they soured on him because he plays a very soft game.

Im not saying Skinner sucks by any means, but he is one hit away from his career being over. You can't ignore his injuries.

Games played the last 5 years:

Seems fine to me.

This was an absolutely horrible trade by the Canes. It's like the Stepan trade in that it was done just for the sake of doing it, but way worse. How do you not get a 1st rounder for a 30-goal scorer? I saw somewhere that they might try to just use those picks, and a whole bunch of others, to send with Faulk to TOR for Nylander/Marner, but who knows if that actually has legs. In a vacuum, this trade is bad.

Not exactly. They did it to kickstart the rebuild ahead of Stepan's trade clause kicking in; knowing full well that if they didn't, they'd have a helluva time moving him once it did.

I don't buy that, never did. If they were admitting to a rebuild at that point, then there was no reason for Mac to play a single game as a Ranger last year and signing Shattenkirk was even dumber than I initially thought. There's no reason to give Smith a contract either.

They traded Stepan to bring in Shatty, a move that made them different but not worse. They only ended up going full rebuild because they sucked after they couldn't replace Stepan and, even then, they might not get to that point if they're healthy.

I don't buy that, never did. If they were admitting to a rebuild at that point, then there was no reason for Mac to play a single game as a Ranger last year and signing Shattenkirk was even dumber than I initially thought. There's no reason to give Smith a contract either.

They traded Stepan to bring in Shatty, a move that made them different but not worse. They only ended up going full rebuild because they sucked after they couldn't replace Stepan and, even then, they might not get to that point if they're healthy.

Here's the way I evaluate that trade:

Rangers lose: Stepan, Raanta

Rangers gain: Shattenkirk, Deangelo, 7th overall pick (Andersson)

It was a trade that didn't make them better or worse last season, but did give them a couple of futures.

It was a trade that didn't make them better or worse last season, but did give them a couple of futures.

Exactly.

And as far as signing Shattenkirk, he was obviously was a player they wanted and you have to sign them when they are available.

And what were they going to sit McD all year?

A Stepan for Shattenkirk trade made them immediately worse, b/c Shatty is effectively a bottom-4 defender and they never came even close to replacing Stepan (or, really, replacing Hayes on the third line). They filled one hole with Shatty but made a bigger one at C.

Let's say Stepan was a cap dump for futures. You've made that move to build, and then sign Shatty - and still Smith, to a lesser degree - to win now. That's conflicting approaches - it's what's crippled Buffalo.

Exactly.

And as far as signing Shattenkirk, he was obviously was a player they wanted and you have to sign them when they are available.

And what were they going to sit McD all year?

They wanted him to win right away, which, fine. But if you're trading your top center for futures, it makes no sense to spend big money on a UFA to win now. Those moves undermine each other.

You could, idk, trade him. It's not like the return was bigger at the deadline than it would have been at the draft. Move Mac and Step at the draft with G buyout, and it's clear from day 1 of the season that they're a rebuilder.

Archived