• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers? Complicated Lias Andersson Fiasco Isn?t Over

Phil

When it began, I can begin to tell you (apologies to the great Neil Diamond) that it likely all started to go wrong this year for Lias Andersson during the pregame introductions for the Oct. 3 season opener at the Garden when the center tripped over a television cable on the ice. In the third period of the Rangers? 6-4 victory over the Jets, Andersson got two shifts worth at 1:29.

That was the season in capsule for Andersson, who was demoted to AHL Hartford on Nov. 17, fled the organization?s jurisdiction by walking out on the Wolf Pack on Dec. 20 to return to Sweden, was summarily suspended, and, after a pause in his career, was permitted by Blueshirts president John Davidson to join his HV-71 club on loan.

So what now for the ? repeat after me ? seventh-overall pick of the 2017 draft? The Rangers, who did not get a nibble on Andersson at the Feb. 24 deadline, had hoped to be able to include him as part of a trade package during the offseason. Now, it is impossible to say given all attendant uncertainty, though given the Blueshirts? lack of depth up-front, Andersson could wind up in New York for his fourth pro camp.

Barring unforeseen developments, the Rangers project to have Zibanejad, Strome and Chytil 1-2-3 down the middle, with Howden likely posted on the wing. So where is the spot for Andersson, even if there is a full-blown reconciliation between him and the organization?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/rangers-complicated-lias-andersson-fiasco-isnt-over/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Leave him over there another season. He’s playing some decent hockey and liking it. It’s great for his development.

And for comparison, everyone other than Chytil is still in college or minors. Guys drafted after him are still a ways away. Not an ideal path, but the best chance to get value is letting him grow elsewhere

meh, persona non grata until he proves otherwise here at this level. Hopefully it works out at some point down the road. But to me all signs point to a wiff, it happens. His two highlights so far consist of throwing the medal and falling down during intros on opening night. Maybe one other, a goal going in off his ass.

I wish the kid well. I hope it works out for him, whether here or more likely elsewhere.

While I’m not opposed to repairing things and bringing him back for another shot, it’s probably best to let him raise his value as much as possible overseas and move him.

Was an ill-advised pick from the start.

Can’t take a guy at 7 when his average rank is around 17 in what was viewed at the time as an average or below draft class.

No problem with a team reaching on a guy, but not in the top-10 and not 10 picks too high.

Asking for problems when you do that.

And here we are... problems.

Was an ill-advised pick from the start.

Can’t take a guy at 7 when his average rank is around 17 in what was viewed at the time as an average or below draft class.

No problem with a team reaching on a guy, but not in the top-10 and not 10 picks too high.

Asking for problems when you do that.

And here we are... problems.

It's a perfect example of erring on the side of caution.

This was a weak draft, and quite likely even weaker than it was seen at the time. There was a lot of uncertainty around the prospects after the top 5. The Rangers picked what they thought was a high floor, character type guy instead of swinging for upside. I guess it's somewhat understandable given the uncertainty.

But, even if most of them have yet to pan out, you'd easily take most if not all of the subsequent 10 picks with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe even without it. And that's before considering him jumping ship this season. There is virtually no upside to him, and that's what you simply cannot have when picking that high.

Seems like they completely blew scouting him.

It's a perfect example of erring on the side of caution.

This was a weak draft, and quite likely even weaker than it was seen at the time. There was a lot of uncertainty around the prospects after the top 5. The Rangers picked what they thought was a high floor, character type guy instead of swinging for upside. I guess it's somewhat understandable given the uncertainty.

But, even if most of them have yet to pan out, you'd easily take most if not all of the subsequent 10 picks with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe even without it. And that's before considering him jumping ship this season. There is virtually no upside to him, and that's what you simply cannot have when picking that high.

Seems like they completely blew scouting him.

Agree with this assessment. They viewed Andersson as you say, character guy and a safe pick in a draft that wasn’t great.

I don’t know they blew the report. Recent events notwithstanding, he could still be high character. Think he’s probably too much focusing on his principles and competitiveness. And he’s probably a bit maladjusted and immature, but he’s 21, so that’s common.

All that said, safe pick or not, you don’t reach on a top-10 pick and you don’t do so by picking a guy 10 spots above his consensus ranking.

In their defense as stated previously in other posts, they acquired the pick at 7 from Arizona with the intent of putting it in a package to move up and pick Pettersson or Glass. Unfortunately they couldn’t forge a deal, though they were close with Vancouver.

Still shouldn’t have picked Lias there though. Not with some of the guys who went behind him still on the board.