PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to Buy Skype for $8.5 Billion

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 09:19 AM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/microsoft-buy-skype-85-billion-187029

NEW YORK - Microsoft said Tuesday it has agreed to acquire Internet communications firm Skype for $8.5 billion in cash.

Skype, known for Web telephony, is being sold by an investor group.

The acquisition will "increase the accessibility of real-time video and voice communications, bringing benefits to both consumers and enterprise users and generating significant new business and revenue opportunities," Microsoft said.

Skype will support Microsoft devices like Xbox and Kinect, Windows Phone and an array of Windows devices. Microsoft will also connect Skype users with Lync, Outlook, Xbox Live and other communities.

Microsoft said it will continue to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms.

Yeah, right. I fully expect negligent Mac support in three years or less.

Jules
05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
As long as it continues to be for free, I'm fine with it. My life and phone bill depends on this.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I can't imagine they'd start charging for access, but knowing Microsoft, you may see an offer for a "faster" connection service that you would have to pay for.

There will always be a free version, though.

BlueJay
05-10-2011, 09:33 AM
I guess Windows Live never really caught on for them so, lets take over Skype.

Cash or Czech?
05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Skype is pretty good. I hope that they'll start offering video chats with more than one other person. I'm also kinda mad that Oovoo stopped offering more than three people per chat without paying. Greedy bastards :p

NYR2711
05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I hate dealing with anything that is Microsoft. You know they are going to change it somehow and it will just drop in the middle of your conversation. And I agree with Phil that they will make it harder to work with Macs, but I give it less than 3 years before it happens.

JOHN
05-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I honestly don't see this as a bad thing.

Gives Skype devs a huge cash flow, and I doubt they will "tier" anything. As for no Mac support, that is also very doubtful. More and more, Microsoft and Apple have come together in the past 10 years more times than they have fought. It started with Steve Jobs announcing Microsoft was putting 2mil (I think it was 2mil? Don't remember, was a long time ago) into Macintosh and Microsoft word was coming to the Mac back in 97 or 99, somewhere in there, maybe early 2000's. Since then, the companies have slowly become more and more integrated, and Bing becoming more and more useful on the iPhone is a pretty telling sign.

Right now, Microsoft and Apple have one common enemy: Google. Proof of that is in this deal itself, as Microsoft swooped in after initial reports were that Google and Facebook were close to reaching a deal with Skype. If Microsoft were going to limit any device support (and I highly doubt they will) it would be Android based platforms.

That being said, I never found Skype to be all that useful anyway. It has a niche following, but in my opinion it is a very well marketed, overrated piece of software.

G1000
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I can vouch for Skype being INSANELY USEFUL business software - and frankly, the idea of circumventing phone companies for long-distance calls is hilariously awesome.

Pete
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
I hate dealing with anything that is Microsoft. You know they are going to change it somehow and it will just drop in the middle of your conversation. And I agree with Phil that they will make it harder to work with Macs, but I give it less than 3 years before it happens.

Why should Microsoft support Skype for Mac when Apple still won't support flash for iPhones and iPads?

Pete
05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
I honestly don't see this as a bad thing.

Gives Skype devs a huge cash flow, and I doubt they will "tier" anything. As for no Mac support, that is also very doubtful. More and more, Microsoft and Apple have come together in the past 10 years more times than they have fought. It started with Steve Jobs announcing Microsoft was putting 2mil (I think it was 2mil? Don't remember, was a long time ago) into Macintosh and Microsoft word was coming to the Mac back in 97 or 99, somewhere in there, maybe early 2000's. Since then, the companies have slowly become more and more integrated, and Bing becoming more and more useful on the iPhone is a pretty telling sign.

Right now, Microsoft and Apple have one common enemy: Google. Proof of that is in this deal itself, as Microsoft swooped in after initial reports were that Google and Facebook were close to reaching a deal with Skype. If Microsoft were going to limit any device support (and I highly doubt they will) it would be Android based platforms.

That being said, I never found Skype to be all that useful anyway. It has a niche following, but in my opinion it is a very well marketed, overrated piece of software.

Exactly. You can to the same exact thing with GChat via the Web, and not add in another piece of software.

JOHN
05-10-2011, 12:33 PM
I can vouch for Skype being INSANELY USEFUL business software - and frankly, the idea of circumventing phone companies for long-distance calls is hilariously awesome.

You can do what skype does pretty easily with just about any voip out there.

Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, hell windows live messenger has voip built in. Skype was really an original innovator of voip, but it has since become a pretty overrated piece of software imo.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 12:49 PM
You can do what skype does pretty easily with just about any voip out there.

Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, hell windows live messenger has voip built in. Skype was really an original innovator of voip, but it has since become a pretty overrated piece of software imo.

Correct, but those VoIP's cost money. Skype doesn't/didn't.

NYRangers92
05-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Why should Microsoft support Skype for Mac when Apple still won't support flash for iPhones and iPads?

not really relevant. Flash is made by Adobe, not Microsoft. Microsoft can choose to not support flash on WP7 if they wanted to, also.

JOHN
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Correct, but those VoIP's cost money. Skype doesn't/didn't.

Ventrilo and Teamspeak are free, and you can run a server from your own hosting/your own computer if necessary. All you need is the IP address. The only time you pay is for a dedicated server, if you do not have your own. And as Peetie said, Gchat works just as well.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Flash is owned by Adobe, not Microsoft. Moot point.

Pete
05-10-2011, 01:05 PM
not really relevant. Flash is made by Adobe, not Microsoft. Microsoft can choose to not support flash on WP7 if they wanted to, also.

Flash is owned by Adobe, not Microsoft. Moot point.
Ownership is irrelevant, I'm proving a point. Two companies don't get along, one is not going to support the other. Seems fairly obvious.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Ownership is irrelevant, I'm proving a point. Two companies don't get along, one is not going to support the other. Seems fairly obvious.

No, ownership is relevant. Apple refusing Flash is Apple refusing Adobe, not Microsoft. Microsoft refusing Apple is a much more direct jab between two companies who are considered by most to be rivals. The Flash issue is a very secondary battle in that war and it has little to do with the original fight between Apple and Microsoft.

Patrick Bateman
05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
(flex)(mail)

Pete
05-10-2011, 01:40 PM
No, ownership is relevant. Apple refusing Flash is Apple refusing Adobe, not Microsoft. Microsoft refusing Apple is a much more direct jab between two companies who are considered by most to be rivals. The Flash issue is a very secondary battle in that war and it has little to do with the original fight between Apple and Microsoft.
Apple and Adobe don't get along. Apple won't support Flash.
Apple and Microsoft don't get along. They won't support each other.

You're making it more complicated than it really is.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
No, I'm not. Apple and Microsoft are two computer-making giants who for the majority of their respective careers were at war with one another.

Apple refusing to support Flash (Adobe) is a minor conflict that has nothing to do with the fact the two companies are/were at war.

When the companies refuse to support one another, it's because of that rivalry and the competition each of them poses to the other.

Adobe is a complete non-entity when it comes to that topic. They're a much, much smaller war in the software world.

Pete
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM
No, I'm not. Apple and Microsoft are two computer-making giants who for the majority of their respective careers were at war with one another.

Apple refusing to support Flash (Adobe) is a minor conflict that has nothing to do with the fact the two companies are/were at war.

When the companies refuse to support one another, it's because of that rivalry and the competition each of them poses to the other.

Adobe is a complete non-entity when it comes to that topic. They're a much, much smaller war in the software world.

Who cares? They don't like each other, regardless of the reason. End of story, IMO.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
I care, because it's the purpose of the argument. Apple and Microsoft were at war and were rival companies to the same problem — personal computing.

Adobe is a software company that supplies applications and programs to both companies for use in their systems. They do not matter to the original issue that is Microsoft v. Apple and the fact that Micosoft has repeatedly cut ties with Mac support for over a decade — see Internet Explorer, Office, etc.

Pete
05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Phil, I'm well aware of what all three companies do. It doesn't change the fact that when companies don't get along, it's not always competition related, and those companies will never support each other. It really is beyond irrelevant why those companies don't get along.

When elephants fight, only the grass suffers.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't buy that at all. Apple has made massive strides to support Windows, even going so far as to moving to an Intel-based processor and altering their hardware so that Windows itself can actually be legally installed on any Apple product from that date forward.

What has Windows done to return that favor? It's only in recent years they've really made strides to be friendlier with the company and their respective user-bases.

Pete
05-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't buy that at all. Apple has made massive strides to support Windows, even going so far as to moving to an Intel-based processor and altering their hardware so that Windows itself can actually be legally installed on any Apple product from that date forward.

What has Windows done to return that favor? It's only in recent years they've really made strides to be friendlier with the company and their respective user-bases.

That isn't supporting Windows. That's recognizing that many corporations run software that requires Intel-based hardware. They're just trying to gain more market share.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
That isn't supporting Windows. That's recognizing that many corporations run software that requires Intel-based hardware. They're just trying to gain more market share.

It's not direct support, but it's support on the user-end.

NYRangers92
05-10-2011, 02:40 PM

Theyve allowed Apple to always be two steps ahead in product development lol

Pete
05-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Eh, I don't see it that way. I just see it as Apple doing what they had to do to get their machines into more companies. Why keep trying to sell 1 machine to one person when you can sell 1,000 machines?

Pete
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Theyve allowed Apple to always be two steps ahead in product development lol

:rolleyes:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg

So Nashty
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
As long as it continues to be for free, I'm fine with it. My life and phone bill depends on this.

lol this is microsoft we are talking about. this shit will be free for like another month then it will be 9.99 a month probably

JOHN
05-10-2011, 03:49 PM
lol this is microsoft we are talking about. this shit will be free for like another month then it will be 9.99 a month probably

Yep, because their security package hasn't stayed free. :rolleyes:

So Nashty
05-10-2011, 03:52 PM

we shall see ;)

Pete
05-10-2011, 04:19 PM

Yea and Apple never rips people off or suckers them into paying for shit they don't need.

So Nashty
05-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Yea and Apple never rips people off or suckers them into paying for shit they don't need.

i never said they didnt.....

JOHN
05-10-2011, 04:30 PM

You want that processor and video card that was considered upper mid range two years ago? TWO BILLS PLEASE! :rolleyes: I'll never get why people are willing to take that deal.

Pete
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
i never said they didnt.....

You're implying it, sir.

Phil in Absentia
05-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Every new release. Drives me insane.

So Nashty
05-10-2011, 04:36 PM
You're implying it, sir.

no i meant microsoft is one of the richest corporations out there and they didnt get rich by letting people abuse their products.

i couldnt care less what is better.. mac or pc. i have and extensively use products from both.

Pete
05-10-2011, 04:37 PM
no i meant microsoft is one of the richest corporations out there and they didnt get rich by letting people abuse their products.

i couldnt care less what is better.. mac or pc. i have and extensively use products from both.

NO!

NYRangers92
05-10-2011, 05:47 PM
:rolleyes:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/pics/kool1.jpg

hey, all I'm saying is it took like 5 Generations of iPods before Microsoft finally came out with the zune. I'm not picking size, just stating that Apple usually has a new product out way before Microsoft's iteration

Jules
05-10-2011, 06:06 PM

I gladly pay a small fee (Xbox Live) for a superior product, than have a shit ass product for free (Playstation Network), but Skype is perfect as it is and it should stay this way. It's the most affordable and great way for my girlfriend and I to talk and call each other every day. I couldn't do without it.

Captain Clutch
05-10-2011, 06:14 PM
I love skype. as long as there arent major changes i have no problem with it

So Nashty
05-10-2011, 06:21 PM
NO!

-1 rep!