• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

Last year on May 1st I came home to find that my father had passed away during the night. Since the Rangers were in the playoffs, we insisted on the following arrangement for the casket at the wake:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/nyr199435/2012-05-06_14-52-13_732-1.jpg

I just came back from paying my respects at the gravesite. Unfortunately, since it's outdoors, my options for what Rangers-related swag I could put by the headstone were limited. I decided to use the mini Stanley Cup that came with the Mark Messier action figure my dad got me the year after we won the Cup.

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i384/nyr199435/photo_zps69956bf1.jpg

I'm hoping that'll bring us some good luck, and that he'll be watching out for our boys.

Anyway, this wasn't intended to be a "please give me your sympathy" post, but rather I thought you guys might enjoy the depth of me and my dad's love of the Rangers, and how much the team meant to both of us as evidenced by the above photos. LGR!!

Haha. Thanks guys. Almost every great memory I have with my dad was something Rangers related. I was only 7 when we won the Cup, but I can remember him hiding in the bathroom for the Game 7 double OT vs. NJ. And I can remember when the buzzer sounded to end Game 7 vs. the Canucks, somehow he managed to grab me, my brother, and my sister all in one huge bear hug and we spun around the room laughing until he fell on the couch.

We had a lot of fun going to the games and watching them. I remember my grandmother thought that the Rangers floral arrangement wasn't taking things seriously enough, and that it was a bit tacky. And I responded, "you think he would've appreciated 'Loving Father' or some bullshit like that? Fuck no. We bleed blue in this house, we're doing what he would've wanted."

If somebody takes that little Cup I'm gonna be REALLY pissed lol. I've had that thing in my room since 1995.

Haha. Thanks guys. Almost every great memory I have with my dad was something Rangers related. I was only 7 when we won the Cup, but I can remember him hiding in the bathroom for the Game 7 double OT vs. NJ. And I can remember when the buzzer sounded to end Game 7 vs. the Canucks, somehow he managed to grab me, my brother, and my sister all in one huge bear hug and we spun around the room laughing until he fell on the couch.

We had a lot of fun going to the games and watching them. I remember my grandmother thought that the Rangers floral arrangement wasn't taking things seriously enough, and that it was a bit tacky. And I responded, "you think he would've appreciated 'Loving Father' or some bullshit like that? Fuck no. We bleed blue in this house, we're doing what he would've wanted."

If somebody takes that little Cup I'm gonna be REALLY pissed lol. I've had that thing in my room since 1995.

I don't think anyone will take it, but if it blows off the stone, you'll lose it. My best friend passed away 6 years ago, I put a chapstick on the head stone and it was still there as of 6 months ago.

i think im becoming like your dad

Thats great man. I wish I could do something like this for my dad, he is buried in the Mausoleum at Pinelawn, so they are both up high and we cant put anything on their head stone. I did slip a Rangers ticket from a game we went to together though.

I don't think anyone will take it, but if it blows off the stone, you'll lose it. My best friend passed away 6 years ago, I put a chapstick on the head stone and it was still there as of 6 months ago.

Went back today and made a little ring of stones around it and wedged the bottom of it in the dirt right in front of the stone. This way it won't go anywhere when the wind blows, and people will know it's not there by accident.

If we win the Cup I'm leaving it there.

Went back today and made a little ring of stones around it and wedged the bottom of it in the dirt right in front of the stone. This way it won't go anywhere when the wind blows, and people will know it's not there by accident.

If we win the Cup I'm leaving it there.

There is a type of glue stuff they make so you can stick things to headstones. They have them for those little rock's with sayings on them, I have seen them stuck to headstones at a cemetery near me.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived