• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Negotiating $$ with a job offer

I am Scags

Anyone have any advice on this? I was given an offer, but they're not giving me what I might have expected money wise, I would be getting just a tad more than I already make at my current place and I get the feeling that they may be low balling me.

My question to anyone who might know, do you believe they are low balling me? Do most companies expect a counter offer?

As much as i want the position I also don't want them to view me as soft and willing to accept what they give me, but I want to show them I have balls and I'm willing to not settle, in a nice way of course. If you're an employer would you view that the way I see it?

And I have luxury of currently having a job, so its not as if I'm desperate.

Anyone have any advice on this? I was given an offer, but they're not giving me what I might have expected money wise, I would be getting just a tad more than I already make at my current place and I get the feeling that they may be low balling me.

My question to anyone who might know, do you believe they are low balling me? Do most companies expect a counter offer?

As much as i want the position I also don't want them to view me as soft and willing to accept what they give me, but I want to show them I have balls and I'm willing to not settle, in a nice way of course. If you're an employer would you view that the way I see it?

And I have luxury of currently having a job, so its not as if I'm desperate.

The big question is this - do they know your current salary in any way? If they do, they're offering you a slight increase because they want you but won't overpay. If they don't, they either have a good understanding of the market and what you should be making, or you should tactfully counter.

Frankly, I'd wait for Josh to chime in here - this sounds like his wheelhouse.

Negotiate. If it's a take it or leave it offer, they're going to let you know that after you counter. And do you really want to work for a place that is that rigid? I'd take a "this is the salary and that's it" type of stance as telling about how you can expect things in the future if you work for them.

Just know that even tossing out a counter offer idea could ruin your chance of getting the position, depending on the company.

If you are happy in your current job, and wouldnt mind staying there, make a counter.

Keep in mind too that in a lot of industries your best chance at making a big jump in pay is by switching jobs but once you do, you're at that salary for a while. So if you take a job for only, say, 10K more... expect that to be it for a while. If your current job likes you and sees you as an asset and they have the budget, there's no reason to think they won't counter.

find the negatives about the new job, like extra travel or more hours (say it in the way that u love the work u do and dont mind working more hours but want to be properly compensated) or whatever and tell them that it won't make much sense to take their offer. but what the hell do i know. kissing ass is always a good way of getting what u want too

Just remember one thing, no matter what they will try to get you for as little money as possible. Unless pursuing a bona fide star who might be famous in whatever field they are seeking employees for I think most employers will lowball with their first offer hoping the person will take it. If not lowball at least the offer will be conservative.

Unless you're in a desperate situation and need a job to just survive I would do my homework and make sure I know what kind of salary this position pays in your area and if their number is lower than the average I would feel comfortable coming back with a higher counter offer mentioning that their number is a bit lower than the going rate.

Another thing you can do if you don't feel comfortable asking for straight out more money is to accept their salary BUT to suggest that this wasn't exactly what you would have hoped for or expected but you really want to work for them because they are so awesome blah blah blah insert drivel...so you will accept their offer BUT let's set up a contract with maybe a yearly review of performance and salary so that you don't feel so uncomfortable asking for a raise next year after you have shown them you're awesome.

Either that or depending on what kind of work it is you could also make it purely performance based and say ok i'll take that salary but then I would like to set up a structure where if I bring in x amount of money I will get x amount bonus or whatever it is your working with.

You could also let them know that you are looking for a certain salary and are willing to show them what you are made of over a 90 day period and if they are satisfied, they meet you at the salary that you were expecting.

Archived