• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tax-Free Internet Shopping Jeopardized By Bill

Fuhgeddaboudit

Read here:

http://news.yahoo.com/tax-free-internet-shopping-jeopardized-063059401.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UZManZR6xcAW6HQtDMD

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Tax-free shopping on the Internet could be in jeopardy under a bill making its way through the Senate.

The bill would empower states to require online retailers to collect state and local sales taxes for purchases made over the Internet. The sales taxes would be sent to the states where a shopper lives.

Under current law, states can only require stores to collect sales taxes if the store has a physical presence in the state. As a result, many online sales are essentially tax-free, giving Internet retailers a big advantage over brick-and-mortar stores.

The Senate voted 74 to 20 Monday to take up the bill. If that level of support continues, the Senate could pass the bill as early as this week.

Amazon knew this would happen. They were and are already building warehouses in certain states around the U.S. They know they won't have that tax incentive anymore, so they figure they'll ship things quicker than competitors.

Even eBay I believe is trying to implement same-day shipping. Not sure how that's working.

The worst used to be Tops Appliance City for those who remember the name. You couldn't even have the sliding door to the store open before you before sales men were right on top of you hounding your every move. And I swear every one of them had the car dealer look, slicked back hair with bling on. Store was around from sometime in the 80s and I think they went out of business in the mid 90s and it seemed several stores became Best Buys eventually.

yea I remmber them to.

I actually haven't walked into a PC Richards in many years. I'll either buy online or if i have to go to the Best Buy which is right around the corner from me.

At least at best buy some of the sales people don't even know there own names.

Amazon already charges me tax on everything, but i still buy everything from there because 1) it's usually still considerably cheaper, 2) Amazon Prime, and most importantly 3) I don't have to leave the fucking house and waste a day looking for what I need

Archived