• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Have to make a blog? Need help...

TwoMinutesForNothing

I have to make a blog for one of my classes and I have no clue what I'm doing. I spent a bunch of money buying and hosting a site on godaddy and then installing wordpress. I don't even think wordpress did anything because it still looks the same and I can't find anyway to allow user comments. I also make the whole design of the page I want and then when you preview the site, the whole thing appears in a stupid scroll box instead of just being on the page like normal. It's driving me insane. I'm going to be getting graded on it, so I want a blog that is simple and looks nice, just one front page where I can continually add posts. I don't want to spend anymore money.

What Phil said. I've used both. Wordpress is overkill for just about any application you could use it for. Blogger is much easier. And for a school assignment where I'm guessing it's the writing that they care about, setting up a Blogger account with all the frills you need is much easier.

Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I have it up and running on blogger. Kind of pissed that I spent money on the other thing. Is there any way I can make my original domain name redirect to this blog now? I would rather not have blogspot in the web address because it takes away from credibility a bit I think. The goal of the assignment is to get as many views and comments as we can.

Ok thanks for the advice everyone. I have it up and running on blogger. Kind of pissed that I spent money on the other thing. Is there any way I can make my original domain name redirect to this blog now? I would rather not have blogspot in the web address because it takes away from credibility a bit I think. The goal of the assignment is to get as many views and comments as we can.

You can set that up in blogger if memory serves. I think they'll tell you what to set your name servers as. If you can't figure it out post here and I'll see how I did it for you tomorrow.

I think I've got it. I went to godaddy and set it to redirect from there. It says it could take 24 hours to work so I'll have to wait.

If someone doesn't mind visiting the site to make sure it's working, not sure if it's just working for my IP address. I'll probably be asking people to check it out in the next few days and leave comments since that's what gets me a good grade, but I'm not worried about that yet. If anyone wants to comment now then feel free. It's a hockey prospect blog.

http://hockeyphenoms.blogspot.com/

I think I've got it. I went to godaddy and set it to redirect from there. It says it could take 24 hours to work so I'll have to wait.

If someone doesn't mind visiting the site to make sure it's working, not sure if it's just working for my IP address. I'll probably be asking people to check it out in the next few days and leave comments since that's what gets me a good grade, but I'm not worried about that yet. If anyone wants to comment now then feel free. It's a hockey prospect blog.

Redirect will let someone put in your domain name and it will send them to your blog but it won't keep your domain name showing all the time I don't think.

Looks good on mobile device.

Shouldn't you have written about something you're more familiar with?

Just kidding!

Kinda.

The answer to changing your domain is here, Patrick:

http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=1233381&page=ts.cs

Yeah I tried that. It redirects to hockeyphenoms.com which is the domain I bought, but that's the address of the original one that I couldn't figure out and gave up on. It doesn't seem to move the blog to there, it just redirects.

Yeah I tried that. It redirects to hockeyphenoms.com which is the domain I bought, but that's the address of the original one that I couldn't figure out and gave up on. It doesn't seem to move the blog to there, it just redirects.

You know that after you make those changes both in blogger and in the DNS at GoDaddy, it takes time before it works. Until the switch "propagates" you'll see the old site. Once it is done propagating, you'd see the new one.

Here's an example of a blog site that I haven't updated in for ever. I used a subdomain of blog.mydomain.com because mydomain.com was a main site with the blog being a part of it, but the process is similar:

http://blog.jerseyseen.com/

I think it masks it better than if you use a redirect.

Archived