• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

Phil

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-chromebook-pixel-for-whats-next.html

Let’s start with the screen. This Chromebook has the highest pixel density (239 pixels per inch) of any laptop screen on the market today. Packed with 4.3 million pixels, the display offers sharp text, vivid colors and extra-wide viewing angles. With a screen this rich and engaging, you want to reach out and touch it—so we added touch for a more immersive experience. Touch makes it simple and intuitive to do things like organize tabs, swipe through apps and edit photos with the tip of your finger.

The Pixel has been engineered with the highest quality components to ensure it’s comfortable to use all day long and meets the needs of demanding power users. The body of the Pixel is made from an anodized aluminum alloy to create a smooth and durable surface; vents are hidden, screws are invisible and the stereo speakers are seamlessly tucked away beneath the backlit keyboard. The touchpad is made from etched glass, analyzed and honed using a laser microscope to ensure precise navigation. The Pixel also has powerful, full-range speakers for crisp sound, a 720p webcam for clear video, and a total of three microphones designed to cancel out surrounding noise.

Other aspects of the Pixel include:

Speed: Speed has been a core tenet of Chrome and Chromebooks since the beginning. For Pixel, it’s critical that the overall experience, everything from loading webpages to switching between apps, is near instant. Powered by an Intel? Core™ i5 Processor and a solid state Flash memory architecture, the Pixel performs remarkably fast.

Connectivity: The Pixel has an industry-leading WiFi range thanks to carefully positioned antennas and dual-band support. Long-term evolution (LTE) is engineered directly into the machine, delivering fast connectivity across Verizon's network, the largest, fastest 4G LTE network in the U.S. (LTE model optional). It also comes with 12 free GoGo? Inflight Internet passes for those times you need to connect while in the air.

Storage: Since this Chromebook is for people who live in the cloud, one terabyte of Google Drive cloud storage* is included with the Pixel. This enables you to save, access and share photos, videos, documents, and all of your stuff from all of your devices, from anywhere.

--

Looks sick.

My MacBook Pro is like 5 years and its getting slow as shit. I love my MBP and not sure if I should get it cleaned up or just get another computer? Problem is I can't go spend on a MBP right now and I really enjoy apple products for computers.

I wonder if this could be a good and cheap alternative. I hear google chrome books suck though.

Cloud storage is a big turn off. Means you need to pay for some type of wireless data, or only be able to access your files via WiFi.

Ya but I would assume those who bought this plan on having some form of connectivity always. 1TB of clouds pace is insane. I've used Chrome OS a few times and I've gotta say it's improved over time. It's not there yet but it's well on its way.

Ya but I would assume those who bought this plan on having some form of connectivity always. 1TB of clouds pace is insane. I've used Chrome OS a few times and I've gotta say it's improved over time. It's not there yet but it's well on its way.

But everyone is limiting data now...No?

My MacBook Pro is like 5 years and its getting slow as shit. I love my MBP and not sure if I should get it cleaned up or just get another computer? Problem is I can't go spend on a MBP right now and I really enjoy apple products for computers.

I wonder if this could be a good and cheap alternative. I hear google chrome books suck though.

Replace your current hard drive with a solid state drive. My comp is from 2006 and starts up in under 15 seconds, and instantly loads apps

I like the idea of a chromebook and that will be my next device because I love google, love the cloud concept, all my files, music and video is on google at this point,, and I merely browse, but this is way expensive for those needs.

Awesome, that's something I wanted to hear. I guess I have to go to apple store for that? Since they do it themselves?

I wouldn't, they'll charge you right through the nose. I'm not sure how difficult it is to do on a MBP, but I just bought one off of Tigerdirect, and installed it myself on my Macbook.

Ifixit gives really good guides, if you feel like you are capable of doing it yourself. PM me and I'll link you to some good deals

This thing is the worst.

why? I mean that out of interest... This particular machine is just way too over priced, but the whole $300 for a doorway to the internet suits me just perfectly. So what are the downsides from another's point of view??

Awesome, that's something I wanted to hear. I guess I have to go to apple store for that? Since they do it themselves?

Price it out. The other thing to look at is to see if you can buy the apple care along with it, if you can it may be worth it. I know there are outside guys that do install new hard drives. I was going to do it, but I had the old white plastic one, and it had cracks to it, so I decided to just buy a new one. Also, if you know any teachers or government employees, they can get you discounts through apple. I actually paid the standard price for my new MBP with a bunch of upgrades because of the discount.

Price it out. The other thing to look at is to see if you can buy the apple care along with it, if you can it may be worth it. I know there are outside guys that do install new hard drives. I was going to do it, but I had the old white plastic one, and it had cracks to it, so I decided to just buy a new one. Also, if you know any teachers or government employees, they can get you discounts through apple. I actually paid the standard price for my new MBP with a bunch of upgrades because of the discount.

I doubt he can buy apple care on a computer as old as he says it is. I did my SSD Upgrade (128GB) on the same model Macbook that you had, and it was about 100 bucks for the drive. Granted, the old white macbooks were easy to swap HD's out (took me less than 2 minutes), not so sure about the MBP's from that generation (although if it is the one I am thinking of, then it is a 20-30 minute job). I think you have to take the top case off, though, which some people aren't comfortable with.

As for Chromebooks, my program thought about purchasing about 50 of them for our students, but we opted for iPads instead because the fact that in the end, it is just a barebones internet machine was not appealing for the purchase price, plus the students really like the touch interface of the tablets.

why? I mean that out of interest... This particular machine is just way too over priced, but the whole $300 for a doorway to the internet suits me just perfectly. So what are the downsides from another's point of view??

i think he was referring to the Pixel specifically, not the Chrome OS

Archived