• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Math Majors ? Question on Torque

Pete

I bought a 32" TV and this mount:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ybVYE-GqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Systems-MF215-B1-15-Inch-Extending/dp/B000O1FTYC

Now, I'm not sure I can hit a stud, so I bought these strap toggles.http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/91/9101ff19-a48a-4ecb-b0ba-b097e67881ee_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202982713&R=202982713#.USPKNVpes44

Now...If the arm of the mount extends 15", and the TV weighs ~20 pounds (plus the weight of the mount arm), how many pounds of torque are created when the arm is fully extended?

I want to make sure my 80 pounds x 2 = ~160 pounds capacity on the toggles will keep the TV in the wall.

I used the same wall anchors for the wall mount on the 42" tv downstairs. It's about 6 years old and is considerably heavier than the new 52 that I bought. Those anchors hold serious weight.

Plaster or Drywall? I'm aslo worried about the arm coming out so far. The tilt mounts or slim mounts don't exert the same force, and often have more screws.

Plaster or Drywall? I'm aslo worried about the arm coming out so far. The tilt mounts or slim mounts don't exert the same force, and often have more screws.

Drywall. I'd bet you can do a pull up on the mount if installed properly.

It's going to depend on the angle at which the arm is extended and the length of each arm of the fulcrum.

Come on, Rhom, I expect more from you. It's coming out from the wall, so it's 90?. The arm, as I said extends 15".

COME ON!

Come on, Rhom, I expect more from you. It's coming out from the wall, so it's 90?. The arm, as I said extends 15".

COME ON!

I'd accept your terms regarding expecting more if those were things we could take for granted. Not every arm is going to be bent at 90 degrees. Furthermore, an arm is going to be a vector based measurement, so while the arm may be 15", there is a "joint" at some point within that 15 inches. Is it at the 7.5" mark? The 9" mark? Is the arm 15" from the joint?

Lot more detail needed to give a truly accurate picture - this stuff all matters!!

I'd accept your terms regarding expecting more if those were things we could take for granted. Not every arm is going to be bent at 90 degrees. Furthermore, an arm is going to be a vector based measurement, so while the arm may be 15", there is a "joint" at some point within that 15 inches. Is it at the 7.5" mark? The 9" mark? Is the arm 15" from the joint?

Lot more detail needed to give a truly accurate picture - this stuff all matters!!

It does not. The arm, fully extended, is 15". The joint in the arm doesn't bend up and down. Only swivels..

http://mimisuzy.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/sheldon-cooper-sheldon-cooper-16368553-262-394.jpg

You can forget the math and just take a good quality one inch thick piece of wood long enough to be screwed into the two closest studs--then screw the mount into that. Paint the wood the color of the wall and unless you extend the tv all the way out--you will never see it.

You can forget the math and just take a good quality one inch thick piece of wood long enough to be screwed into the two closest studs--then screw the mount into that. Paint the wood the color of the wall and unless you extend the tv all the way out--you will never see it.

Was thinking of that, but I can't find the studs without drilling a few holes (plaster and lathe, stud finders don't work), and there's a window on the adjacent wall that I'm trying my hardest not to cover in any way.

Was thinking of that, but I can't find the studs without drilling a few holes (plaster and lathe, stud finders don't work), and there's a window on the adjacent wall that I'm trying my hardest not to cover in any way.

Gotcha -- cant help you with the math though. If i had to guess id say the anchors you got should work--thats how they hang all the big TVs in the projects! Ha ha

Archived