• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

LIPA's COO, Michael Hervey, Resigns

Phil

They should fire him so he can't collect a pension. If he resigns he can still collect all of his benefits.

Should be more accountability for all of them. LIPA, ConEd, TWC... Any of them go out, they just say we're working on it with no ETA. If your infrastructure can't handle a storm, upgrade it. What are we paying for?

Should be more accountability for all of them. LIPA, ConEd, TWC... Any of them go out, they just say we're working on it with no ETA. If your infrastructure can't handle a storm, upgrade it. What are we paying for?

Yup, and that's at the center of Cuomo's charge against LIPA right now. ConEd, National Grid, etc. should heed this as a warning, because they're the next in line to be staring down that barrel if things don't shape up — especially heading into winter, with another potential Nor'Easter coming next week.

But when your allowing guys to resign instead of firing them, what is really getting done? They cant hold him accountable because any investigation is going to last longer than this guy plans on staying. They are allowing this COO to get off scott free. He will collect his pension and benefits even though he fucked up, not only this time but last year during Irene. IMO, this just shows that if your willing to step down, nothing will happen to you. Cuomo needs to make an example out of this guy and hit him with everything he can and take away everything he can.

He isn't retiring, he's resigning. Do we even know he has a pension? Maybe he has a 401k, and maybe he isn't even fully vested yet. Way to much is being assumed. The guy is now out of a job and it's going to be pretty tough for him to get another one. If he had no pension he'd wind up on the gov't tit, anyway. Then there'd be complaints about that.

Way too much assuming going on right now. Unless the information is out there and I haven't come across it yet.

But when your allowing guys to resign instead of firing them, what is really getting done? They cant hold him accountable because any investigation is going to last longer than this guy plans on staying. They are allowing this COO to get off scott free. He will collect his pension and benefits even though he fucked up, not only this time but last year during Irene. IMO, this just shows that if your willing to step down, nothing will happen to you. Cuomo needs to make an example out of this guy and hit him with everything he can and take away everything he can.

The fact he is no longer working there is message enough, especially if Cuomo's push and the class-action lawsuit filed against LIPA results in more and more of their front office losing their jobs, or stepping down. At the end of the day, Long Islanders deserve competency. Revenge should be dead last on the list of demands.

He works for a state municipality company, he gets a state pension. Whether you retire or resign, you still get your benefits, you only lose them if you are fired, plus he is over the retirement age as well.

I thought LIPA was a private company? Regardless, I think it's ridiculous to think they'd take away his pension and benefits and put him out on the street.

As much as we dislike LIPA, and just playing devil's advocate, but what if Cuomo was waiting on an event like this to condemn a massive utility company like LIPA, ConEd, TWC, Cablevision, etc.? He's already been outspoken against some of these companies. An event of this magnitude that knocked out power to 90% of Long Island could only make a company like LIPA look bad. Given, their communication has been horrendous through this. But compared to other disasters, and other power companies throughout the region, what is a realistic timeframe for getting power back to its customers?

LIPA is one of the main reasons (besides gross taxes and traffic) I'd never live in LI. Seems like my LI friends lose power once a year for 10-14 days and lipa does nothing to ever fix the infrastructure. They have no competition, so there's no pressing need to deliver a better product.

As much as we dislike LIPA, and just playing devil's advocate, but what if Cuomo was waiting on an event like this to condemn a massive utility company like LIPA, ConEd, TWC, Cablevision, etc.? He's already been outspoken against some of these companies. An event of this magnitude that knocked out power to 90% of Long Island could only make a company like LIPA look bad. Given, their communication has been horrendous through this. But compared to other disasters, and other power companies throughout the region, what is a realistic timeframe for getting power back to its customers?

You hit it on the head with the communication. LIPA isn't saying anything, or giving any timelines, but when you call them for updates the CSR's tell you "Well, I don't have power either. It'll come on when it comes on."

I'm not sure, but what I know for certain is that this is not the first time LIPA has been "warned" over this. They failed to upgrade their systems and put the balances in place year-after-year, including following Irene last year, so it stands to reason they're now being held accountable for it.

The problem really isn't so much what a reasonable time frame is for getting 90% of the island back to power — it's with why 90% of the island had their power knocked out in the first place. Had LIPA had the proper regulations, safety checks, etc. all in place in the first place as they were instructed to upgrade on numerous times in the last six or seven years, we likely aren't staring this type of an aftermath in the face to begin with.

It also doesn't help with their failure to provide a time line the way ConEd and others have already done.

I thought LIPA was a private company? Regardless, I think it's ridiculous to think they'd take away his pension and benefits and put him out on the street.

LIPA is like the MTA. He didnt do his job, and LIPA has had problems well before this storm or Irene. They over charge their customers, and when they get caught, nothing ever happens to them. They rip off people by trying to get them to go with their "budget plan", which you actually pay more money than if you do regular billing. Everyone I know that has the "budget plan" pays more than double what I pay, and we didnt want that plan, we pay for what we actually use. It was something they pushed on the older people. My mom had it for years, and when I bought my house and she saw what I was paying, she tried to get rid of it and they told her she couldnt. My electric bill is usually less than $100, usually between $65-$80, and with the "budget plan" it costs $160-$180 a month. Its also not that he is going to be thrown out on the street, the guy was making a couple hundred grand a year at that position.

LIPA is like the MTA. He didnt do his job, and LIPA has had problems well before this storm or Irene. They over charge their customers, and when they get caught, nothing ever happens to them. They rip off people by trying to get them to go with their "budget plan", which you actually pay more money than if you do regular billing. Everyone I know that has the "budget plan" pays more than double what I pay, and we didnt want that plan, we pay for what we actually use. It was something they pushed on the older people. My mom had it for years, and when I bought my house and she saw what I was paying, she tried to get rid of it and they told her she couldnt. My electric bill is usually less than $100, usually between $65-$80, and with the "budget plan" it costs $160-$180 a month. Its also not that he is going to be thrown out on the street, the guy was making a couple hundred grand a year at that position.
OK. They aren't going to take away anyone's pension, regardless, nor should they. Like I said, this guys winds up on social security and people will still complain.

I'm not sure, but what I know for certain is that this is not the first time LIPA has been "warned" over this. They failed to upgrade their systems and put the balances in place year-after-year, including following Irene last year, so it stands to reason they're now being held accountable for it.

The problem really isn't so much what a reasonable time frame is for getting 90% of the island back to power — it's with why 90% of the island had their power knocked out in the first place. Had LIPA had the proper regulations, safety checks, etc. all in place in the first place as they were instructed to upgrade on numerous times in the last six or seven years, we likely aren't staring this type of an aftermath in the face to begin with.

It also doesn't help with their failure to provide a time line the way ConEd and others have already done.

This, plus like I said in another thread, when they have these power outages, they do a quick fix to the whole system, each time, instead of fixing it the proper way because it would take time and cost money. They have so many of these quick fixes that are now failing as well, that they cant keep up with getting it fixed the righ way. You know there is a problem when New Jersey got most of there power back before Long Island did. I still cant figure out why they never put the lines under ground. The other problem is that while the service stays shitty, they always raise their rates. LIPA is one of the most expensive power companies in the nation.

Archived