• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Need Suit for Interview/Networking

Fuhgeddaboudit

Hey all,

Couldn't find the suit thread that I believe Phil set up awhile back if I remember correctly.

I was just sent an e-mail by my counselor about a Barclay Credit Risk internship next summer that I might be interested in actually.

I have a black suit that is actually really big and I wouldn't want to go with that. Where can I get a good, well-priced, suit?

Men's Warehouse? Macy's?

And if Peetie reads this, OR Niko if he knows too, do you guys know about the Garage?

Dude, just go get the suit tailored.

I would not recommend this, especially if your jacket is too long or your pants are too big by more than 1 inch.

If you look like you're going to your HS graduation in your dad's jacket, you need a new suit. I see too many people who should be wearing a 42 short in a 44 regular and they look fucking retarded.

I would not recommend this, especially if your jacket is too long or your pants are too big by more than 1 inch.

If you look like you're going to your HS graduation in your dad's jacket, you need a new suit. I see too many people who should be wearing a 42 short in a 44 regular and they look fucking retarded.

Oh, he meant my old suit lol. Yeah, exactly... plus the suit looks worn the fuck out. It's ugly as well. Definitely my last option.

Really? I figured they'd be expensive. I'll have to go check the Men's Warehouse this weekend then. Thanks

Mens Warehouse, 655 6th Avenue in Manhattan. Ask for Gabriel Orengo. He helped me get all my suits together for my wedding. Did an incredible job.

They do Everyday Low Price suits for $199, as well as suits that might double down for the buy one get one for $100 deal, so you could spend $250 on one, and then $100 on a second and get two suits for $350.

The suits we wore for the wedding were English Laundry. VERY comfortable.

Awesome, thanks. I'll have to take a trek there this weekend with a friend. :+1:

I'd tell you to mention my name, but I don't think it'll get you a discount. He's a fantastic salesman, though. In fact, CALL ahead. Ask to speak to him. If he's not in, ask when he will be in, and then call again until you get in touch with him directly. He is the guy you want to go to here, not the other guys there. There are a few other good salesmen there, but I dealt with Gabriel exclusively the entire time, and never regretted it for a moment.

I'll echo the fact that Men's Wearhouse is great. I got a suit there a couple of years ago. They have good deals too.

Also, I'm not sure if you plan on gaining or losing weight anytime soon. Might want to take that into consideration.

All the more reason to stick with Men's Warehouse. If you gain/lose weight, they will alter for free.

Awesome. I could try and give them a call tomorrow to see if he's there for the weekend. If not, I'll have to find another Men's Warehouse or just go there and get someone else. Need it for next Thursday most likely.

Call tonight. Now. Tailoring can sometimes take a week alone, so you're gonna want to get in as early as you can, just in case.

I'll echo the fact that Men's Wearhouse is great. I got a suit there a couple of years ago. They have good deals too.

Also, I'm not sure if you plan on gaining or losing weight anytime soon. Might want to take that into consideration.

I always lose/gain weight sporadically. I haven't been to the gym but I've been eating OK, so I guess I'll probably be at my weight or at least losing some.

Call tonight. Now. Tailoring can sometimes take a week alone, so you're gonna want to get in as early as you can, just in case.

Shit, I totally didn't take this into consideration. This lady just sent me the thing now, should have planned on getting a suit awhile ago.

I always lose/gain weight sporadically. I haven't been to the gym but I've been eating OK, so I guess I'll probably be at my weight or at least losing some.

Shit, I totally didn't take this into consideration. This lady just sent me the thing now, should have planned on getting a suit awhile ago.

You might still be OK. Explain to whatever store you call your situation. Sometimes they can bump you up. There should be less congestion with the tailor right now anyway as it's approaching winter and off-season for weddings.

Either way, call today. As soon as possible.

Awesome. Don' t want to be a dick either, but that will have to do in any case. It'll most likely work over "I have an interview", but in these days with the unemployment, who knows? lol

Yea, you might not want the karma for saying funeral. Go with interview.

I can't stand it if any jacket I have comes anywhere past the bone on my wrist. It just makes you look foolish, and since I have broad shoulders for my height I also tend to need a jacket with limited padding. Same goes with pants that don't just graze the shoe or overly "puff" in the crotch/upper leg area.

Buying a suit is a highly personal thing, there are so many things that can go wrong so you really need to work with someone who has a good eye if its your first time.

If you have a nordstrom's rack around you I'd recommend that. You'll pay more than menswear house, but especially this time of year you get great deals on some very nice higher brands, and they have on site tailors that are no charge if you buy a full suit (I don't remember if there is a charge for just pants, shirts or a jacket).

Don't forget to find exact shirt sizes too. Knowing you're a 34-35 sleeve and a large neck for instance does nothing for you as half the stuff you buy will be too long or short and the neck will be potentially bigger. Then you can get into collar and what collar best works with your build, etc. it can get complicated lol.

I like Lord and Taylor on 5th ave in Manhattan. Its a more expensive than some of the other places that have been mentioned but they have a pretty big selection up on the 10th floor. Every brand you can think of, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Kline, Hugo Boss, Black Brown etc. They have a tailor on site as well, the last suit I bought from there it took roughly a week give or take to get everything all ready.

The garage is decent sometimes bc they have some of last seasons stuff to get rid of. I would drive by tomorrow simply because it's 5 minutes away and just look. You can haggle there too. I just wouldn't buy shirts/ties there.

Just remember, ever suit fits slightly differently, but you SHOULD get it tailored regardless if you want to look sharp. I wear my suits like Ari Gold, slim fitted to the max, but not like I'm going to bust out of them. Luckily for me, a Ralph Lauren 38S slim fit fits me like a freaking GLOVE right off the rack. Joseph. I have a few CK suits, a Michael Kors and a Joseph Abboud (the Abboud I actually brought from the Garage for like $250 when I needed a black suit) and they all fit slightly different despite all being the same size. Keep that in mind too in case you decide to buy online or whatever.

I don't know how big you are, but in a pinch, you could always borrow one of mine if you're a thin ass dude like me lol.

Make sure you wear a crisp shirt and a clean tie as well. I'm not sure of what your build is, but if you're thin and wear a slim fitted suit, wear a slim tie as well. Please don't overlook the shoes/belt as well.A sharp tie clip goes a long way too. I am way too into fashion, lol...

YES! Thank you. Irks me to no end. Or when a dude wears shoes and/or a tie that doesn't match the suit at all.

Archived