• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

10 Office Technologies on Their Way Out

Phil

http://mashable.com/2012/09/25/extinct-office-tech/

LinkedIn surveyed more than 7,000 global professionals about which tools and trends will disappear from offices in the next five years and which will become even more common. Nearly three quarters of those surveyed said they expected fax machines to disappear, making it the second most likely office technology to go extinct behind tape recorders.

The survey is just the latest example that workplaces are gradually abandoning analog technologies for digital. Those in the workforce will need to adapt to these changes or else risk having technological skills that are obsolete as well.

Here are the top 10 office tools and trends that professionals think will vanish in the next five years:

1. Tape recorders (79 percent)

2. Fax machines (71 percent)

3. The Rolodex (58 percent)

4. Standard working hours (57 percent)

5. Desk phones (35 percent)

6. Desktop computers (34 percent)

7. Formal business attire like suits, ties, pantyhose, etc. (27 percent)

8. The corner office for managers/executives (21 percent)

9. Cubicles (19 percent)

10. USB thumb drives (17 percent)

--

For me, Standard Working Hours and formal business attire are the two that are most important to me. I work at a company where I don't need the latter, but the former would be a huge, huge perk and probably pick up worker morale tremendously, especially if it included the option for a lot of employees to work from home.

http://mashable.com/2012/09/25/extinct-office-tech/

--

For me, Standard Working Hours and formal business attire are the two that are most important to me. I work at a company where I don't need the latter, but the former would be a huge, huge perk and probably pick up worker morale tremendously, especially if it included the option for a lot of employees to work from home.

My god, we have none of these things!

I think I'm still the only person who agrees with a dress code. Its dependent on where exactly you work, but I'm sorry image is still a huge factor and whether that person is better at what they do or not, I'm going to trust the person that took the extra few minutes to put on slacks and a dress shirt over the guy who threw on his old jeans and a t shirt and hoody.

Everything else I agree on including the changing landscape of work hours and working at home, but as as far in an office environment I say dress for success.

I think I'm still the only person who agrees with a dress code. Its dependent on where exactly you work, but I'm sorry image is still a huge factor and whether that person is better at what they do or not, I'm going to trust the person that took the extra few minutes to put on slacks and a dress shirt over the guy who threw on his old jeans and a t shirt and hoody.

Everything else I agree on including the changing landscape of work hours and working at home, but as as far in an office environment I say dress for success.

I agree, but unless your client-facing, I don't always see the need. I rarely meet with external clients (we have a ton of internal groups we work with), but when I do, I wear a suit. Internal meeting, slacks and buttons down, every day jeans, casual button down, shoes and a blazer.

Summer is far more relaxed. Polos.

I agree, but unless your client-facing, I don't always see the need. I rarely meet with external clients (we have a ton of internal groups we work with), but when I do, I wear a suit. Internal meeting, slacks and buttons down, every day jeans, casual button down, shoes and a blazer.

yea I'm definitely not talking about suits or anything close to that. For example at my work its business casual, slacks and a button down shirt or polo. Fridays we dress down.

In my line luckiliy I rarely meet with clients or deal with our overseas people so the only time you will catch me wearing a suit is to a wedding or an interview.

yea I'm definitely not talking about suits or anything close to that. For example at my work its business casual, slacks and a button down shirt or polo. Fridays we dress down.

Yea.

One day a few years ago it snowed and I didn't feel like coming in, nevermind getting dressed. I had on boots, a hoodie and a northface. I walked in, nodded at the doorman as per usual, and he tells me "deliveries in the back". I was like ":wtf:, it's me!" and he says "Oh shit you looked like a messenger." :rofl:

Yea.

One day a few years ago it snowed and I didn't feel like coming in, nevermind getting dressed. I had on boots, a hoodie and a northface. I walked in, nodded at the doorman as per usual, and he tells me "deliveries in the back". I was like ":wtf:, it's me!" and he says "Oh shit you looked like a messenger." :rofl:

:lol:

You probably nailed it with the "depends on where exactly you work" line, but for me, I don't care how you look, or what you are dressed in. If I need a front-end web developer, I'm basing my decision on hiring you on the quality of your work, not if you happened to show up in a hooded sweatshirt v. a blazer. You could show up in a skirt for all I care. All that matters to me is getting the end result, not the presentation of it, especially because the client isn't going to need to see you anyway.

We have no dress code at the office where I work - I could wear shorts and flip-flops and no one would care. I usually dress a lot nicer than that but still casual, but I wear a suit when I attend conferences, when I present, and when the people who fund us show up.

I'd kill for non-standard hours - working Monday through Friday from 8 to 5 can be really demoralizing at times, especially since I can never get personal errands done during the day unless I do things during lunch.

You probably nailed it with the "depends on where exactly you work" line, but for me, I don't care how you look, or what you are dressed in. If I need a front-end web developer, I'm basing my decision on hiring you on the quality of your work, not if you happened to show up in a hooded sweatshirt v. a blazer. You could show up in a skirt for all I care. All that matters to me is getting the end result, not the presentation of it, especially because the client isn't going to need to see you anyway.

But if it's a close call between a guy who came in wearing an ironed suit, and someone else who was wearing a garbage bag, then who are you picking? Everything else being equal?

At my job, we will never get rid of most of this technology. I was using Polaroid camera's up to about 5 years ago, then we went to 35mm film camera's, and about 2 years ago we finally were given digital camera's. We were also using a typewriter up until about 2 years ago. We finally got all of our paperwork on computers. NYC is so far behind in technology.

But if it's a close call between a guy who came in wearing an ironed suit, and someone else who was wearing a garbage bag, then who are you picking? Everything else being equal?

Depends on what the job is for. I'm not impressed by a suit. I'm impressed by work quality, so chances are, I'd go with whoever had the quality work, not whoever had the best combed hair or best pressed outfit.

But again, I'm also not worried about appearance, because this person would be working completely behind the scenes. When you are talking about client-facing folks, yeah, appearance matters, but 99.9% of my responsibilities simply don't require that, so in turn I wouldn't require a dress code of any kind.

That "unless you're client facing" bit is a big deal. I do most of my work in very casual clothes, but client facing? Button down, possibly a jacket.

See, standard work hours to me are something I'd never want to see go. Knowing you are working 9-5 and get weekends off makes a work week much easier to me than doing what I do now, which is anywhere from 7-3:30 or 12-9, Sunday through Sunday and only a half hour lunch. Obviously you don't work everyday, but you can't take weekends off and you don't get any major holidays except Christmas and Easter off. This is also retail, so obviously we are talking about a different work environment all together, but I don't plan to be here forever and honesty I'd kill for that kind of set schedule/routine. It's much easier to plan for.

See, standard work hours to me are something I'd never want to see go. Knowing you are working 9-5 and get weekends off makes a work week much easier to me than doing what I do now, which is anywhere from 7-3:30 or 12-9, Sunday through Sunday and only a half hour lunch. Obviously you don't work everyday, but you can't take weekends off and you don't get any major holidays except Christmas and Easter off. This is also retail, so obviously we are talking about a different work environment all together, but I don't plan to be here forever and honesty I'd kill for that kind of set schedule/routine. It's much easier to plan for.

It gets really old really fast, especially since I'm 8 to 5. Would much prefer flexibility.

Flexible schedules get old too. When they are never the same you can't plan things out weeks in advanced, you have to request special scheduling and hope that can happen, etc. IMO set schedules are so much more enviable.

I agree. With that said though it would be great if you could choose your schedule.

At my job, we will never get rid of most of this technology. I was using Polaroid camera's up to about 5 years ago, then we went to 35mm film camera's, and about 2 years ago we finally were given digital camera's. We were also using a typewriter up until about 2 years ago. We finally got all of our paperwork on computers. NYC is so far behind in technology.

LOL so true. A lot of guys on the job are old timers who don't want the technology though lol

Flexible schedules get old too. When they are never the same you can't plan things out weeks in advanced, you have to request special scheduling and hope that can happen, etc. IMO set schedules are so much more enviable.

Non-standard usually means you can do your 7/8 hours whenever you want...8-4, 9-5, 10-6, etc.

Also, it can mean you leave when your work for the day is done. That means some days you leave at 4-5, other days it's 7-8.

Non-standard usually means you can do your 7/8 hours whenever you want...8-4, 9-5, 10-6, etc.

Also, it can mean you leave when your work for the day is done. That means some days you leave at 4-5, other days it's 7-8.

This, there are many days (like today) where I might as well just leave.

Archived