• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What's Matawan, NJ Like?

Pete

We looked at a house today right off of 34 by the lake.

The house itself is god awful and needs to be gutted to the studs and re-done, but it was pretty cheap (compared to houses I'd been looking at previously) and we can re-do the entire thing to our taste.

The thing is that we don't know anyone from the area, so we want to make sure that there is enough of a social scene for us to go out to dinner, bars, etc, without having to go to Red Bank or Holmdel.

We looked at a house today right off of 34 by the lake.

The house itself is god awful and needs to be gutted to the studs and re-done, but it was pretty cheap (compared to houses I'd been looking at previously) and we can re-do the entire thing to our taste.

The thing is that we don't know anyone from the area, so we want to make sure that there is enough of a social scene for us to go out to dinner, bars, etc, without having to go to Red Bank or Holmdel.

Ah, I know where that is. My gf is like 3 minutes from the lake.

The area is pretty nice, and from what I've experienced, there are plenty of restaurants and things around. It's a pretty well populated area with a large Italian population, so there's a huge abundance of pizza places and Italian restaurants. There's no shortage of bars around either, though I've personally never been to any of them because I usually spend my time in the New Brunswick/Piscataway area.

I like Piscataway as a place for stuff to do. There's certainly a lot more to do there because it's closer to New Brunswick and close to Rutgers. To me, Piscataway feels too busy with too many major roads and people.

However, since you're looking for a place to live that's relatively populated and also is a nice area, I'd recommend Matawan.

I realize there'll be no "walkability" in this area. No walking to stores (Starbucks is walkable, however), but this is the reality of moving to the 'burbs. I just want to make sure there is something to do in the area, as Manhattan is an hour away by car, which really blows.

Have you ever been to NJ? lol

Unless I'm in Hoboken or something, all I encounter are Brooklyn Italians lol. Except they usually moved South from Staten island lol.

That's because you go to where there are. I'm trying to go where they aren't. That's why I'm asking about this area. The areas I was looking at before are guido free. Unfortunately, the houses suck.

Yea, I saw LOL. But you can bring your kids over to go in the pool. When they aren't swimming in front of your house.
:rofl: We're in that area frequently, actually. There are a lot of teams around there. Old Bridge, Princeton, Red Bank, etc ... But no, you can't move there.

Thanks for the info.

The 50+ minute drive tot he city is really the bitch of it all, IMO.

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass, but NJ transit provides some good options for getting to Rangers games and other related city events. Personally, if I'm in Matawan, I like to drive to Secaucus and then take the train to Penn Station from there - it's way cheaper after 4PM.

Do you work in the city? Would you be commuting everyday?

Yeah, that's a pain in the ass, but NJ transit provides some good options for getting to Rangers games and other related city events. Personally, if I'm in Matawan, I like to drive to Secaucus and then take the train to Penn Station from there - it's way cheaper after 4PM.

Do you work in the city? Would you be commuting everyday?

Yea, I work on 23rd St. Also, the fucking NJT monthly pass is like $400 from there, which is just fucking insane.

There's a hockey rink 15 minutes away in OB, Peetie. It's an outdoor/indoor hybrid, so it's only open in the winter months, but it's not that bad. Lots of leagues and open hockey there.

Within 5 minutes of you, you'll have a bunch of things to do. It's not a barren wasteland like some of NJ can be.

The OB rink sucks. An ounce of humidity and you can't see 2' in front of you. He can't afford to play hockey that way. Stop trying to sell Matawan to him.

Archived