• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Actor Michael Clarke Duncan Dead at 54

CreaseCrusader91

RIP, excellent actor that will be missed. I hate to say it but I remember when I saw him the first time and saw how huge he was and also how intense he always seemed the thought was going through my head what a strain it must be to his system to keep a body like that going at the level he was going and I wondered how long he will last. Now this. Sad.

NO! He is one my favorite character actors. The island, pulp fiction, green mile etc etc etc were all brilliant in part because of him (and guys like him). Great character actors are the guys who can put a movie over the top; a very said RIP. :(

Didn't know he was in Pulp Fiction?

Saw this on Yahoo!

Surely it was that infectious spirit that led Willis to recommend Duncan for his biggest role yet -- as the gentle-spirited death row inmate with magical healing powers, John Coffey, in "The Green Mile."

"Bruce told me, 'Michael, I've just read this script and you are this guy John Coffey. I just know it,'" Duncan told the Ottawa Citizen in 2001 [via the L.A. Times]. Willis called writer-director Frank Darabont, who was adapting the Stephen King novel of the same name into a film, recommended Duncan for the role and eventually he was cast.

The 1999 film, also starring Tom Hanks, went on to gain four Oscar nominations, one of which was a best supporting actor nomination for Duncan. When he got news of his nomination, Duncan was so excited that he claimed he could have fought Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield and the Rock. When a reporter suggested he could do that anyway, he replied, "Not all at the same time, man." Duncan, who had described his "Green Mile" role to the New York Times as 'a gift from God,' was also nominated for a Golden Globe the same year.

Archived