• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

New Total Recall Trailer Released

Holy. Shit.

Pretty disappointing to hear that this isn't a Mars-centered story, but at the same time, at least it offers some contrast to the original.

This is centered around the real story. The "original" is the one that broke away from that, but that doesn't change the fact that this looks like a prototypical Hollywood sci-fi thriller. Farrel might be able to salvage something, but Kumar? The chick from 7th Heaven? I fucking hate seeing these people in movies. It's a sure-fire sign that it's going to cut all the usual corners by beefing up the action and CGI scenes to make up for acting/casting.

Idk, we'll see. A film like this is going to need a lot of CGI no matter what.

I don't mind the single shot action sequence, though there are more "cinematic" ways to do it for sure. My take, based on all the other footage shown, is that that scene is sort of a one off, probably done to give a "shock" factor to Farrel's initial awakening.

The original story still was Mars-based though Phil, this story will be all Earth-based.

Kumar is dead pretty quickly, so he doesn't concern me, lol. A lot of good characters are going to be in it, including Bill Ny, so that's a plus. I actually really dislike Collin Ferrel, but this is one of the few movies I buy him in.

As for the Len Wiseman comment, look at all the crap Paul Verhoeven has done in his career. He still banged out Total Recall and Basic Instinct.

This is centered around the real story. The "original" is the one that broke away from that, but that doesn't change the fact that this looks like a prototypical Hollywood sci-fi thriller. Farrel might be able to salvage something, but Kumar? The chick from 7th Heaven? I fucking hate seeing these people in movies. It's a sure-fire sign that it's going to cut all the usual corners by beefing up the action and CGI scenes to make up for acting/casting.

This is bullshit IMO based on this trailer. Every time there's a remake based on a movie or book or story or whatever, the people behind it always claim they're going back to the original material, and they're full of shit pretty much every time. This is no different. Pretty much nothing in this trailer resembles the original story, but instead resembles Paul Verhoeven's take with Schwarzenegger. It looks like another tired and tedious piece of shit in a world full of tired and tedious pieces of shit.

Like I said, fuck Len Wiseman.

This is bullshit IMO based on this trailer. Every time there's a remake based on a movie or book or story or whatever, the people behind it always claim they're going back to the original material, and they're full of shit pretty much every time. This is no different. Pretty much nothing in this trailer resembles the original story, but instead resembles Paul Verhoeven's take with Schwarzenegger. It looks like another tired and tedious piece of shit in a world full of tired and tedious pieces of shit.

Like I said, fuck Len Wiseman.

It's very different from Schwarzenegger's, that is for sure. If you checkout some of the movie blogs that have been following this there is a good bit of info, but I'm not sure that that = closer to the original story. Like I said, the Mars portion of the story is completely eliminated from this.

I'm keeping an open mind, despite not loving any of Wiseman's work or Ferrel's. This looks pretty good.

That's not what Len Wiseman said at comic con. Same with one of the producers.

Earlier this year, producer Neal Moritz indicated that Wiseman’s version of “Total Recall” would stay closer to Dick’s original story than the 1990 film, which famously had to work its way down from an “X” rating due to the level of violence in the initial cut.

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/07/comic-con-total-recall-police

And btw, you're missing the whole point here. It's not that they aren't sticking to the original material, it's that they tell you one thing but instead release tired, tedious crap that's been done a hundred times.

That's not what Len Wiseman said at comic con. Same with one of the producers.

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2011/07/comic-con-total-recall-police

And btw, you're missing the whole point here. It's not that they aren't sticking to the original material, it's that they tell you one thing but instead release tired, tedious crap that's been done a hundred times.

Len Wiseman didn't say anything, Neal Moritz commented on it. I think you are jumping to conclusions here dude. I understand not being happy with how Hollywood remakes/re-releases everything, but I mean, it doesn't mean some movies aren't worth doing it to. As great as the original Total Recall was, it also was way over the top and had really, really cheap effects. Star Wars, a movie made some 12 years earlier, had in many ways special effects that were as good and in many cases better. Total Recall's big selling point at the time was the ridiculous amount of violence and death, not the special effects or the story line, though the story line ultimately made it as cool as it was.

If this remake can provide a solid story, and maybe a more thought-provoking perspective, it will be a big success for me.

Archived