• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Best War Movie

I am Scags

There are SO MANY great war movies out there that have been made over the years but after carefully watching this one and many others over some time now in the past few weeks I have to say that it goes to Full Metal Jacket. What an outstanding film IMO. I would love to say Private Ryan because its beach landing scenes alone are the best and most real of any movie ever made, but for the full body of work, the level of accuracy, and Stanley Kubriks genius I give it to the 1987 film starring Matthew Modine. Unlike Platoon there is no hollywood fluff and sometimes fake acting and no real political message being sent other than the fact that war sucks and its hell.

And its essentially 2 movies with opening half starting in Parris Island and boot camp. To this day I've never seen a more accurate drill instructor played on screen then the way R. Lee Ermey pulled off DI Hartman, a part which essentially launched his career in acting.

Honorable mentions:

Saving Private Ryan

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Glory

Gods and Generals

***also note that these are movies that I came together with that I believe depict the battles and fighting the best. many other oscar classics like Casablanca, Gone with the wind, Schindlers List, etc, I did not include because those movies centered around love stories and things unrelated to the field combat and battle scenes.

Feel free to debate and add your own. :)

There are SO MANY great war movies out there that have been made over the years but after carefully watching this one and many others over some time now in the past few weeks I have to say that it goes to Full Metal Jacket. What an outstanding film IMO. I would love to say Private Ryan because its beach landing scenes alone are the best and most real of any movie ever made, but for the full body of work, the level of accuracy, and Stanley Kubriks genius I give it to the 1987 film starring Matthew Modine. Unlike Platoon there is no hollywood fluff and sometimes fake acting and no real political message being sent other than the fact that war sucks and its hell.

And its essentially 2 movies with opening half starting in Parris Island and boot camp. To this day I've never seen a more accurate drill instructor played on screen then the way R. Lee Emery pulled off DI Hartman, a part which essentially launched his career in acting.

Honorable mentions:

Saving Private Ryan

The Bridge on the River Kwai

Glory

Gods and Generals

***also note that these are movies that I came together with that I believe depict the battles and fighting the best. many other oscar classics like Casablanca, Gone with the wind, Schindlers List, etc, I did not include because those movies centered around love stories and things unrelated to the field combat and battle scenes.

Feel free to debate and add your own. :)

R Lee Ermey is a Marine and former Drill Sergeant. He had no lines and said everything off the cuff. An amazing performance on his part.

R Lee Ermey is a Marine and former Drill Sergeant. He had no lines and said everything off the cuff. An amazing performance on his part.

I knew he was a former Marine, but you're saying he did that off the cuff and improv? Wow! That's amazing to think!

Saving Private Ryans Omaha Beach landing scene is THE best there is and will probably ever will be.

It was such a wake up to the horror of battle. All of us grew up watching movies that made light of or

sanitized and almost glorified war, and after watching that movie it made you truly understand the horror

of it. I think what separated it was that they didn't hollywood up the battles. If was one of the

first times that they did not add in any dramatic over the top music, there was no fake studio sounding

explosions and bullets, it all was made to be real and feel real.

Saving Private Ryans Omaha Beach landing scene is THE best there is and will probably ever will be.

It was such a wake up to the horror of battle. All of us grew up watching movies that made light of or

sanitized and almost glorified war, and after watching that movie it made you truly understand the horror

of it. I think what separated it was that they didn't hollywood up the battles. If was one of the

first times that they did not add in any dramatic over the top music, there was no fake studio sounding

explosions and bullets, it all was made to be real and feel real.

This.

Are we including TV Miniseries though? HBO's had a few really good ones like The Pacific, Generation Kill and of course Band of Brothers.

Archived