• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

'Bully' Trailer

Phil

I think it's unfair to try and make someone feel guilty about how they acted in middle/high school.

Everyone was a dick head then and the last thing on your mind was other peoples feelings.

Obviously, but that's also a byproduct of the way these children are raised. Indifference is a form of tolerance (or intolerance in this case), which is what can lead to the more extreme cases of bullying and early teen suicide. The fact there are as many deaths as are reported each year linked to bullying is very telling, which makes this discussion/topic a lot deeper than what IMO is a cop out argument in "well, everyone is a dick head in middle/high-school".

I think it's unfair to try and make someone feel guilty about how they acted in middle/high school.

Everyone was a dick head then and the last thing on your mind was other peoples feelings.

You can see the spoiled assholes in the movie "Bully" (2001). These brats are really despicable including Bobby Kent.

I was a victim of bullying in middle school, and I'm actually really good friends with these people now.

Weird, but it's not always necessarily true that being a dick in middleschool/highschool will eventually keep you being a dick later on in life.

But I hate bullying, and anything that increases bully awareness is a + in my books

While I don't think you can absolve a bully for his role in a suicide, I also don't think you can blame the bully, either. Parents haven't taught their kids proper coping techniques or done enough to take their kid out of the situation, IMO.

My brother got bullied in public school and my mother took us both out and put us in private school until we got to high school and were more prepared to deal with it. She blew our college funds on it, but she felt it was better for us to pay for our own college than have us grow up that way.

While I don't think you can absolve a bully for his role in a suicide, I also don't think you can blame the bully, either. Parents haven't taught their kids proper coping techniques or done enough to take their kid out of the situation, IMO.

My brother got bullied in public school and my mother took us both out and put us in private school until we got to high school and were more prepared to deal with it. She blew our college funds on it, but she felt it was better for us to pay for our own college than have us grow up that way.

It depends on the situation. If the bully is left to continue bullying? I absolutely blame them (in part). I blame them (in part) regardless of whether suicide is the end result or not. Being bullied can still put tremendous damage on the psyche of a child. They don't have to kill themselves for the entire act to have a negative affect.

I was bullied all through middle school. I told my Dad and he taught me how to defend myself. The kid doing it was a 9th grader (when I was in 6th) and was three times bigger than me, but I eventually got suspended because I punched him dead in the face and broke his nose. He never bullied me again. In fact, the school had all four parents come in and his parents were basically begging mine to forgive them. I got like two days and he was suspended for a week I think. He never came back to school, though. His parents sent him to military school. No joke.

It depends on the situation. If the bully is left to continue bullying? I absolutely blame them (in part). I blame them (in part) regardless of whether suicide is the end result or not. Being bullied can still put tremendous damage on the psyche of a child. They don't have to kill themselves for the entire act to have a negative affect.

I was bullied all through middle school. I told my Dad and he taught me how to defend myself. The kid doing it was a 9th grader (when I was in 6th) and was three times bigger than me, but I eventually got suspended because I punched him dead in the face and broke his nose. He never bullied me again. In fact, the school had all four parents come in and his parents were basically begging mine to forgive them. I got like two days and he was suspended for a week I think. He never came back to school, though. His parents sent him to military school. No joke.

Like I said, your parents taught you a coping skill for physical bullying.

Like I said, your parents taught you a coping skill for physical bullying.

Yeah. Which def. plays a part, but that's also why I was saying it really depends on the situation. If the bully is left unchecked (by the school, parents, etc.) I don't entirely blame them as much as I blame the ones who knew and did nothing, but I do blame the bully in part (always) as well as the bully's parents for failing to recognize what their child is doing.

I don't want to put u on the spot but, do u think Kent deserved it ? I was debating this with my wife last night.

I haven't seen the film in years. I couldn't give you an honest answer until then, but I'm inclined to say no. I don't think anyone really deserves to die in a situation like that, but I'd certainly have supported him getting his ass handed to him once or twice to return the favor. :D

Archived