• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Moyers and Company returning to TV

http://www.npr.org/2012/01/12/145100987/bill-moyers-is-back-on-tv-and-better-than-ever

I've seen a rough cut of the premiere telecast, and it's worth the effort to find it. Written by Moyers and Michael Winship, it starts by sampling some dialogue from Oliver Stone's 1987 movie Wall Street, where Michael Douglas, as Gordon Gekko, boasts: "The richest 1 percent of this country owns half our country's wealth ? $5 trillion. One-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance. Interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons. And what I do ? stock and real estate speculation. You got 90 percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own."

The program ends down near the real Wall Street, where it interviews people participating in, and reacting to, the Occupy Wall Street movement in its earliest days. And in between, you hear other voices. Like those of Jacob Hacker and Paul Pierson, authors and professors whom Moyers calls "the Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson of political science." And Amanda Gruebel, a married educator in Iowa who testified before a Senate committee, explaining that, while she and her husband both have jobs and master's degrees, they find it tough to get by.

And the discussion by no means stops there. Hacker and Pierson, the authors of Winner-Take-All Politics: How Washington Made the Rich Richer ? and Turned Its Back on the Middle Class, are given time to make, and explain, point after point. And they're discussing a topic that Moyers has pledged to explore, with other guests, in the next few shows, setting the stage for the election year of 2012.

Find out what local PBS station is broadcasting this because honestly, this is looking to be a legitimate political news segment that actually is interested in getting a full perspective.

Archived