• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HBO's 'Luck'

Phil

• 1 month later...

My take on the first episode:

The drama is there. The star power is there. The complexity, though, is almost overwhelming for a show trying to get it's wings off the ground. Anyone who knows little to nothing about racing (myself included) would have easily struggled trying to understand how it all works.

Gonna need to give this a few more episodes before I can really make a decision on it, though.

Agreed. It can be a bit confusing, and at times I struggled to understand exactly what was going on. Some parts really confused me, such as the scene when Dustin Hoffman goes into that guys office where he flipped out. I got lost a bit in that conversation. Also, sometimes I couldn't understand a thing the spanish trainer was saying, even when he was speaking english. hah

I will give it a few more episodes too.

Escalante. Yup. Same. Guy's accent is thick. Between that and the Irish jockeys it's definitely a show you need to be completely sober and pinned to to really "get" everything.

What I took from the scene where he walked into the guys office and ripped his shirt to prove he wasn't bugged was that that guy was sort of part of an insider ring of bookies that he took the 3-year pinch for. I think what's happening there is the development of a revenge plot where he's going to try selling the track in a secondary business deal to a hotel owner.

Only caught part of thist, but I don't get why they care so much about the 5 winning if all they picked was the 5 to win. You won't get that great of a payout unless you hit a trifecta or something like that. I saw the spanish guys ticket and it showed he had bet $1000 on the 5 horse to win and it paid him 13,200, which means the odds were only 13-1. That's not nearly as much of a long shot as they made it out to be and putting $1,000 on that to win alone is just flat stupid. You could put a couple hundred on a few different tri's and hit a much bigger payout. My only complaint, but a lot of people that go to race tracks are dumb as shit and take stupid risks.

Only caught part of thist, but I don't get why they care so much about the 5 winning if all they picked was the 5 to win. You won't get that great of a payout unless you hit a trifecta or something like that. I saw the spanish guys ticket and it showed he had bet $1000 on the 5 horse to win and it paid him 13,200, which means the odds were only 13-1. That's not nearly as much of a long shot as they made it out to be and putting $1,000 on that to win alone is just flat stupid. You could put a couple hundred on a few different tri's and hit a much bigger payout. My only complaint, but a lot of people that go to race tracks are dumb as shit and take stupid risks.

I think it had to do with the fact that they had the fix in on the six races so that horse would have only increased their score

Still into it, but fuck is it confusing. The hardest part is following Ace's business movements. I feel like I need a degree in finance to follow it all.

Also, one thing that is bugging me is the dialogue. It seems too scripted and unnatural... where everyone talks fast and extremely intellectual. I mean just look at that crew of the 4 betters. Obviously they are less educated gambling addicts, yet their conversations sound as if they graduated from Ivy League schools at times.

You and I both, man. I'm normally all over these dialogue-driven productions, but this one is incredibly complex, and incredibly esoteric. Feels like the entire show can't really be "gotten" by those without a history of OTB betting, horse racing or business.

I definitely get the same feeling from the group of degenerate gamblers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived