• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Of all the films Mel Gibson would want to get involved in...

Greggy Gloom

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/09/09/adl-responds-mel-gibson-maccabee-film/

The Anti-Defamation League has officially responded to the news that Mel Gibson and Warner Bros. are cooperating to make a film based on the life of Judah Maccabee, the Jewish religious hero whose revolt against the Seleucid Empire is celebrated each Hannukah. In an official statement, the ADL?s national director Abraham H. Foxman says:

We would have hoped that Warner Bros. could have found someone better than Mel Gibson to direct or perhaps even star in a film on the life of the Jewish historical icon Judah Maccabee. As a hero of the Jewish people and a universal hero in the struggle for religious liberty, Judah Maccabee deserves better. It would be a travesty to have the story of the Maccabees told by one who has no respect and sensitivity for other people?s religious views.

Not only has Mel Gibson shown outward antagonism toward Jews and Judaism in his public statements and actions, but his previous attempt to bring biblical history to life on the screen was marred by anti-Semitism. Rather than listen to respected religious leaders, both Christian and Jewish, who voiced concerns then about the insensitive elements of his depiction of the last hours and crucifixion of Jesus, Gibson showed contempt for those voices and refused to make changes that might have helped turn his passion of hate into a passion of love.

While we do not argue with Mel Gibson?s right to make this film, we still strongly believe that Warner Bros. should reconsider Gibson?s involvement in this project.

Oh, this is gonna be good. :rofl:

I still don't see how Passion was anti-Semitic. The Jews played a large role in getting the guy crucified.

Because people need to complain about everything. They havent even seen the movie, yet they are against it. There are plenty of people that were worse than Mel that the Jews don't seem to have a problem with. Walt Disney was a huge Anti-Semetic, yet they still pay to go to his theme parks, watch his movies and never say anything about him. Mel Gibson will probably make this a great film too.

I liked Apocalypto a lot. Never saw Passion

I still want to see this. Passion was a decent movie, it was just hard to pay attention to what was going on in the movie and try to read the yellow captions that blended into the movie too easily and were up there for too short of a time.

I still want to see this. Passion was a decent movie, it was just hard to pay attention to what was going on in the movie and try to read the yellow captions that blended into the movie too easily and were up there for too short of a time.

I think we all know the story LOL.

I think we all know the story LOL.

Yes, but its distracting trying to read and watch a movie at the same time, especially when the captions match the background and flow too quickly. By the middle of the movie, I just kind of watched and didnt bother trying to read the captions.

Mel Gibson is one hell of a director and film maker, no one can take that away from him no matter how many racist rants he makes. ESPECIALLY historical, hero driven epics is what he is best at. So from that angle he's a great choice, but then ofc because of his rants and anti semitic remarks i can see why ppl are upset.

Braveheart is one of the best movies of all time and Apocalypto is IMO the most underrated movie of all time. It's brilliant and most ppl haven't even seen it.

Mel Gibson is one hell of a director and film maker, no one can take that away from him no matter how many racist rants he makes. ESPECIALLY historical, hero driven epics is what he is best at. So from that angle he's a great choice, but then ofc because of his rants and anti semitic remarks i can see why ppl are upset.

Braveheart is one of the best movies of all time and Apocalypto is IMO the most underrated movie of all time. It's brilliant and most ppl haven't even seen it.

^This. Guy managed to turn WIlliam Wallace into a hero. Wallace was more of a plundering rapist land pirate than hero.

Archived