• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Rangers Roster

Gravesy

Stealing/borrowing this idea for a thread from torontonyr. He brought it up in the Grabner thread, and I thought it was a good idea to have a thread discussing the state of the current NY Rangers roster as it stands, and keep it going moving towards the start of the season as trades happen, UFA signings are announced, camp gets going etc.

What does the roster look like on opening night?

F: Some version of:

Buch-Zib-Kreider

Zuc-Chytil-Namestnikov

Fast-Hayes-Spooner

Vesey-Lias-I really have no idea. Meskanen?

Although to be fair it feels incredibly unlikely that all 4 of Hayes, Vesey, Spooner and Namestnikov are going to be here at that point.

D: I don't have a clear idea of how Quinn will pair these guys, but I'd guess the 6 to be Shatty, Skjei, Staal, De Angelo, Pionk and Smith (if he's sorted himself out).

G: Hank/Georgiev

Wildcards out of camp

Meskanen, Hajek, Howden

UFA signings/Trades

I was halfway expecting us to just go young, but after seeing this vid of Gorton where he talks about bringing in a couple of "character guys" it seems not. https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/gorton-speaks-at-prospect-camp/t-277437422/c-60689203

I'm not seeing a lot of UFA's that I'm crazy about and that feel like a good fit. I guess guys like Green and de Haan, possibly Cole, could help out on D. Really not sure about forwards. JVR, Neal, Perron etc don't really seem like good fits. Maybe someone like Letestu, Beagle or Vanek.

What can we, within reason, expect this roster to achieve

Not a great deal tbh. Around the 65 point mark as it stands. I'm hoping for a few of the kids to really step up and show they can do it at this level. If I get that, I'm happy.

I think this is probably fairly close to the opening night roster, which is depressing. Not only is it a downgrade from last year, there's no new upside.

And I don't buy the "character guys" thing. What's that say about Kreider, Zucc, Staal, Shatty and Fast - not to mention Hank? I'll ask this again, how many "character guys" do you need to show rookies the ropes?

I think this is probably fairly close to the opening night roster, which is depressing. Not only is it a downgrade from last year, there's no new upside.

And I don't buy the "character guys" thing. What's that say about Kreider, Zucc, Staal, Shatty and Fast - not to mention Hank? I'll ask this again, how many "character guys" do you need to show rookies the ropes?

Exactly, Future!! I think that is such an over rated theory in the NHL. It sounds like an agent trying to sell a team on a guy who's past his prime. I'd rather the kids pick it up and figure it out themselves. The only "character players" I want are the ones that throw punches and protect the kids. Gimme a Kocur, Domi or Probert type any day...JUST ONE!! Keep these kids from getting derailed by cheap, shit hits and protect them.

...AND if you are going to get an enforcer type...I HOPE IT'S a YOUNGER TYPE PLAYER AS WELL!

I consider Chytil and Andersson as new upside.

Looking at the lineup, I see much greater potential offensively than last year's team, but an absolute mess defensively.

Depends. Gilmour and O'Gara are both going to be gone, and that's a considerable improvement already. If Skjei takes the next step - I hated the way he finished last year but I guess he could - and Pionk has grown even a little bit, you could be worse on the top pair during a rebuild. I'm hoping it plays out something like this...

Skjei - Pionk

Hajek - Shatty

Staal - ADA

Lindgren

Long term I don't think that's the answer, but it's not a bad starting point. Everyone is sleeping on ADA too, he was playing really good hockey before he hurt his ankle.

Playing more of a straightline game is going to help too, because I can't imagine there's going to be nearly as much emphasis on the first pass as there was under AV. That consistently caused problems for the last group.

Just want to address on aspect of the post. Howden and Hajek have not had a ton of experience and have never played in the A. It is a shitty amateur move to not lower expectations on these kids and plan to have them start in Hartford. They should be told this is the plan, the fans who pay attention should know this, the coach too.

I fear the Rangers like Howden as much as I do and will rush him. Sure, if he dominates every exhibition game and plays a 2 way game like Patrice right out of the chute, he can burn a few in Oct. But who expects that? Let's do what is right and start him/them in Hartford. Allow them to shine there, then promote them.

I'm with 31, I want Chytil (who I do expect to start at MSG) and Lias to earn their spots. Not as some anti-privilege mantra to toughen up the kids, but because it is what makes sense. If coach thinks Chytil is ready for a C role in the top 9 great. If he wants Chytil on the wing because he is not ready for the D responsibilities at C, it is done because it makes sense. If coach thinks Lias should be our 4C great. But if he Lias is the 5th or 6th best C on the team, he needs to start at Hartford and get his minutes. That is why he has to earn it. It shows he is ready to be a full time NHLer. I'm not convinced he is. What should matter is how Lias plays and what Quinn thinks. What shouldn't matter is what Sather, scouts and fans hope.

I consider Chytil and Andersson as new upside.

Looking at the lineup, I see much greater potential offensively than last year's team, but an absolute mess defensively.

In this lineup, Chytil is playing with Zucc and Namestnikov, and Lias is on the 4th line. There's no upside there because those guys have no talent around them. Sure, in the long-term, there is upside, but you're essentially playing both of those guys on bottom-6 lines.

Skjei - Pionk

Hajek - Shatty

Staal - ADA

Lindgren

Jeez, let fuckin Hajek break his cherry in Hartford with Lindgren, before you have them doing advanced Kama sutra. Lindgren on the bench watching is ludicrous.

I love the camp surprise. The kid who Duclairs it up. :drool: But you don't plan for surprises. Expect Howden and Hajek and Lindgren to be in Hartford to play men for the first time. Unless its a 'for real' surprise.

Good mgmt, manages expectations, develops talent and creates the best path for success.

Everyone is sleeping on ADA too, he was playing really good hockey before he hurt his ankle.

Playing more of a straightline game is going to help too, because I can't imagine there's going to be nearly as much emphasis on the first pass as there was under AV. That consistently caused problems for the last group.

Yeah like you. ;)

I felt like the lone voice out there just prior to his injury. One or two folks here started noticing, maybe I'm wrong and you were one, but he took a lot of ridicule. Let's hope the high ankle sprain did not set him back too much and he comes out of the gates flying.

This kid has the tools. For those wanting Merkley, here is a better project. Someone who is older, has the right coach and it is now on him. A few scouts compared Merkley to ADA. Merkley is just slightly more high-end offense, lower-end on size/grit and I assume a much bigger ahole.

Jeez, let fuckin Hajek break his cherry in Hartford with Lindgren, before you have them doing advanced Kama sutra. Lindgren on the bench watching is ludicrous.

I love the camp surprise. The kid who Duclairs it up. :drool: But you don't plan for surprises. Expect Howden and Hajek and Lindgren to be in Hartford to play men for the first time. Unless its a 'for real' surprise.

Good mgmt, manages expectations, develops talent and creates the best path for success.

Yeah like you. ;)

I felt like the lone voice out there just prior to his injury. One or two folks here started noticing, maybe I'm wrong and you were one, but he took a lot of ridicule. Let's hope the high ankle sprain did not set him back too much and he comes out of the gates flying.

This kid has the tools. For those wanting Merkley, here is a better project. Someone who is older, has the right coach and it is now on him. A few scouts compared Merkley to ADA. Merkley is just slightly more high-end offense, lower-end on size/grit and I assume a much bigger ahole.

I said "hope" not "expect." I hope Hajek can be that guy, because it means he has #1 upside. If you pair him with Shatty, it means he's getting sheltered minutes playing with a vet. I'd rather see that than see him play in the AHL.

The 7th D on an NHL roster is going to play, what, 60 games? The reason Lindgren makes sense there, to me, is that he doesn't have much of a ceiling to grow into - the challenge for him is adjusting to the speed of the NHL, and he's not going to do that in the A. Other guys who need to better refine their skillsets need time there, but Lindgren isn't one of them. He's responsible and physical with a limited offensive skillset, it's not like he's going to change any of that in the A.

Lots of folks were saying that ADA was playing well at the end of last year.

Just want to address on aspect of the post. Howden and Hajek have not had a ton of experience and have never played in the A. It is a shitty amateur move to not lower expectations on these kids and plan to have them start in Hartford. They should be told this is the plan, the fans who pay attention should know this, the coach too.

I fear the Rangers like Howden as much as I do and will rush him. Sure, if he dominates every exhibition game and plays a 2 way game like Patrice right out of the chute, he can burn a few in Oct. But who expects that? Let's do what is right and start him/them in Hartford. Allow them to shine there, then promote them.

I'm with 31, I want Chytil (who I do expect to start at MSG) and Lias to earn their spots. Not as some anti-privilege mantra to toughen up the kids, but because it is what makes sense. If coach thinks Chytil is ready for a C role in the top 9 great. If he wants Chytil on the wing because he is not ready for the D responsibilities at C, it is done because it makes sense. If coach thinks Lias should be our 4C great. But if he Lias is the 5th or 6th best C on the team, he needs to start at Hartford and get his minutes. That is why he has to earn it. It shows he is ready to be a full time NHLer. I'm not convinced he is. What should matter is how Lias plays and what Quinn thinks. What shouldn't matter is what Sather, scouts and fans hope.

That's the thing about this lineup, and the hiring of Quinn as developmental coach. They know they aren't going to be contending. As long as the kids are allowed to work through mistakes and show improvement game to game, then we're fine having them in the NHL. We're used to AV stapling people to the bench night after night, but I don't think we'll see that with any youngsters this year. At least not on a consistent basis.

In this lineup, Chytil is playing with Zucc and Namestnikov, and Lias is on the 4th line. There's no upside there because those guys have no talent around them. Sure, in the long-term, there is upside, but you're essentially playing both of those guys on bottom-6 lines.

I don't agree that Zucc and Namestnikov are bottom 6 players.

That's the thing about this lineup, and the hiring of Quinn as developmental coach. They know they aren't going to be contending. As long as the kids are allowed to work through mistakes and show improvement game to game, then we're fine having them in the NHL. We're used to AV stapling people to the bench night after night, but I don't think we'll see that with any youngsters this year. At least not on a consistent basis.

Good points, both you and future. However, don't underestimate that you guys are asking 3 kids to skip a step. That step being, playing nearby in Hartford against men, while we guage their skills and readiness in OUR system. I understand the coach is not going to AV the kids, but hopefully that is because they are ready to play night-in night-out against the greatest players in the world. It is not like these kids played in the KHL or SHL even.

Mistakes are one thing. Assessing overall readiness and preventing them from being up prematurely and messing with their confidence/head is more important then just letting the kids play through occasional mistakes.

Let Howden, Hajek and Lindgren win the spot. It would also be prudent for the coach and mgmt to think the NHL (in October) is the best thing for them, not us.

I don't agree that Zucc and Namestnikov are bottom 6 players.

In a vacuum Zucc isn't, on his own, but when you're putting the two of them with a 19 y.o center, that's a bottom-6 line unless Chytil has taken a massive leap from last year. If you played Chytil and Zucc with Kreider, it's a different conversation.

Good points, both you and future. However, don't underestimate that you guys are asking 3 kids to skip a step. That step being, playing nearby in Hartford against men, while we guage their skills and readiness in OUR system. I understand the coach is not going to AV the kids, but hopefully that is because they are ready to play night-in night-out against the greatest players in the world. It is not like these kids played in the KHL or SHL even.

Mistakes are one thing. Assessing overall readiness and preventing them from being up prematurely and messing with their confidence/head is more important then just letting the kids play through occasional mistakes.

Let Howden, Hajek and Lindgren win the spot. It would also be prudent for the coach and mgmt to think the NHL (in October) is the best thing for them, not us.

I'm not asking them to skip a step. They still have to earn the spot, but it is a lot easier to crack this lineup than a playoff lineup.

Well, I'm not calling for Howden. The only guy I'm asking to skip a step would be Hajek, and I'm hoping that he can do that by hopping into a sheltered role.

Small sample, but Lindgren was more than fine in his 10 AHL games last year. They didn't need to wait as long as they did to bring up Pionk last year, and I think the same would apply to Lindgren.

In a vacuum Zucc isn't, on his own, but when you're putting the two of them with a 19 y.o center, that's a bottom-6 line unless Chytil has taken a massive leap from last year. If you played Chytil and Zucc with Kreider, it's a different conversation.

Chytil is playing with Zucc and Namestnikov, and Lias is on the 4th line. There's no upside there because those guys have no talent around them.

I don't follow what you are saying. Zucc is a top 6 forward, but yet Chytil has no upside because he has no talent around him even though he would hypothetically be on a line with Zucc in this scenario?

I don't follow what you are saying. Zucc is a top 6 forward, but yet Chytil has no upside because he has no talent around him even though he would hypothetically be on a line with Zucc in this scenario?

Lol, yea that's confusing.

I think Zucc is a capable top-6 player, but he's A) dependent on linemates to be successful in that role and B) Doesn't make his linemates better...he doesn't really drive play. So if he's on a line with two third-line players, that's going to be a third line, with two first-liners, it's a first line.

If Chytil is a legit top-6 C who can drive play on his own next year, then sure, it could be a true second line. But I think he'll need help to do that next year, and I don't think Zucc/Namestnikov are the guys to carry the extra weight.

Well, I'm not calling for Howden. The only guy I'm asking to skip a step would be Hajek, and I'm hoping that he can do that by hopping into a sheltered role.

Small sample, but Lindgren was more than fine in his 10 AHL games last year. They didn't need to wait as long as they did to bring up Pionk last year, and I think the same would apply to Lindgren.

Hajek should jump out at us in exhibition then. And look the part, demonstrating poise and effectiveness every shift. Otherwise you are rushing our best LHD prospect outside of the 18 y/o Miller.

I'm OK with Lindgren if does the same and he is going to play consistently. As a 7th, no sir. You're right, waited quite a while with Pionk, but he had all that college and more than a 1/2 year in the AHL, after looking good in preseason.

It'd be nice to see the kids have normal development, all together in Hartford seeing who is gonna earn the first callup. Who gets injured, getting the next call up. Not like I'm shipping them to Siberia.

Whoever is crushing Hartford is a mere call up from joining the show. Can do it as soon as Thanksgiving or Christmas or whatever works best.

Its good for the kids. They feel they took each step and earned it. Builds character. Shows there is a logical path to the Garden, not that everyone has to travel by way of Hartford. But for those not in the KHL or SHL or McDavid, it is a usually the best path, or should be.

Lol, yea that's confusing.

I think Zucc is a capable top-6 player, but he's A) dependent on linemates to be successful in that role and B) Doesn't make his linemates better...he doesn't really drive play. So if he's on a line with two third-line players, that's going to be a third line, with two first-liners, it's a first line.

If Chytil is a legit top-6 C who can drive play on his own next year, then sure, it could be a true second line. But I think he'll need help to do that next year, and I don't think Zucc/Namestnikov are the guys to carry the extra weight.

We simply disagree on Zuccarello. While he has shown some potential signs of hitting a decline, he has been a legitimate top 6 playmaking forward who "drives play" and makes things happen with his creativity, passing, and vision.

I like the idea of Zuccarello and Chytil together, but I think Namestnikov would be a poor fit on that line. I would try a player I think has some higher goal-scoring potential, like Buchnevich or Kreider. Probably Kreider, since his strong suit is speed/forecheck/net presence, and his weakness is puck handling.

I think you still can?t discount Smith. He been working out all off season, even stayed in NY to work with Prentiss. I think he?ll bounce back.

Skjei/Shatty...Smith/ADA...Staal/Pionk... 7th D O?Gara or Gilmour.

Beyond that Crawley played 66 AHL games & Bigras has played in the AHL the last 4 yrs.

As for forwards, beyond the 11 you mention. Only leaves Nieves, Lettieri, Beleskey & Holland who are under contract with NHL experience.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sure.

But since this is an internet forum and not the Rangers war room it?s fun to speculate who might be the wild cards out of camp, isn?t it? I don?t think anyone?s saying this guy or that guy HAS to make the roster. But it?s not that much of a stretch that one or two might just do it because

a) there are a quite a few interesting youngsters going to camp this year and

b) most of the guys in front of them aren?t much to write home about

So, personally, I think the most likely are Hajek and Howden. The Rangers traded for them, they?re high on these guys and Gorton said yesterday ?they?re ready to turn pro?.

Archived