PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Draft [D] K'Andre Miller in 1st Rd. (22nd) Pick

Drew a Penalty
06-22-2018, 11:00 PM
Name: K'Andre Miller
Position: D
Shoots: L
Current Team: USDP (USHL)

Elite Prospects Profile: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/308192/k-andre-miller

Current Statistics
HockeyDB.com Page:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=196132
Team Player Page:https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/show/4096536-k-andre-miller

NYRangers723
06-22-2018, 11:02 PM
Well at least the reception is better. Kid has major upside just like kranstov. Many are saying we overpaid to move up 4 spots but he most likely would of been gone. Plus dont be surprised if we regain a 2nd tomorrow

Phil in Absentia
06-22-2018, 11:09 PM
The trade up value was probably not good, but this kid has huge upside. And huge fuckin' hands.

So Nashty
06-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Gotta give to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Lt. Dan
06-22-2018, 11:38 PM
The trade up value was probably not good, but this kid has huge upside. And huge fuckin' hands.

:lol:

Giacomin
06-23-2018, 12:23 AM
Gorton said he believed he was not going to be there at 26. That always raises the price, but also makes it worth it. If you like a player a lot, think he is BPA with impact player potential and think he'll be gone, then the 48th pick shouldn't hold you back. Sucks, but I'm gonna convince myself Anaheim knows D and was going to take him. Not far fetched.

Fatfrancesa
06-23-2018, 12:49 AM
All things pointed to Anaheim being in on him. I wanted him from day 1. Could bust but has potential to be a massive talent. Best of the three picks in my opinion

Vodka Drunkenski
06-23-2018, 07:07 AM
Byfuglien 2.0

Slobberknocker
06-23-2018, 07:32 AM
going to play in wisconsin which has a habit of development on the blueline. kid has a nasty streak as well

Gravesy
06-23-2018, 08:26 AM
I really like this pick. A massive dude who's an excellent skater and plays hard.

Bugg
06-23-2018, 08:36 AM
going to play in wisconsin which has a habit of development on the blueline. kid has a nasty streak as well

As much as I'm down on picking D, I like that. The playoffs are a demolition derby and the refs swallow the whistle. D is allowed to batter and assault opposing forwards i/f/o the net with impunity. Of all the NYR current and prospect D, few can do that. This guy can.

skunkman
06-23-2018, 09:39 AM
When you over power everybody just walking up on the stage then I approve.

Kevin
06-23-2018, 11:04 AM
This was the one guy I really wanted with one of our two late 1st round picks. It sucks that they had to give up a 2nd rounder to move up to get him but this kid can turn into a top pairing d-man. The unknown 2nd rounder probably doesn't have that high of a ceiling.

Giacomin
06-23-2018, 01:38 PM
Absolutely my #1 pick for 26 and a lot of fans, experts and scouts think the same. We woulda screw up 48 anyway :)

His weaknesses are that he is still learning the position, having been a converted forward. That is not a weakness of his doing and he is growing into the position nicely. After that I can't find a serious weakness, everything is improvable.

Burns/Buff is a good comparison if he reaches his potential. Good driven kids with strong work ethic are the best bets to achieve their potential. Go US

paddynyc
06-23-2018, 03:10 PM
This is the pick I like the most

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
06-25-2018, 10:45 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0WDgoAmNqk

Respecttheblue
06-25-2018, 03:27 PM
As much as I'm down on picking D, I like that. The playoffs are a demolition derby and the refs swallow the whistle. D is allowed to batter and assault opposing forwards i/f/o the net with impunity. Of all the NYR current and prospect D, few can do that. This guy can.

Feel similarly. Especially as it's a dimension we were kind of lacking.
Now I remind myself he's only 18 and a frshman at Wisconsin and I'm just going to have to be patient.

josh
06-25-2018, 03:53 PM
My "concern" with Miller is he is an athlete first, hockey player second.

We need to be very careful and cognizant regarding his development, especially since he's only been playing defense the last few seasons. He could probably get by on athleticism, and be a solid bottom pair guy. Or he continues to develop (give him an extra season or 2), and he could develop into a #2. I don't want to see the organization (or the player) feel pressured into getting him into the NHL 'ASAP' and limit his potential.

Giacomin
06-25-2018, 04:12 PM

We need to be very careful and cognizant regarding his development, especially since he's only been playing defense the last few seasons. He could probably get by on athleticism, and be a solid bottom pair guy. Or he continues to develop (give him an extra season or 2), and he could develop into a #2. I don't want to see the organization (or the player) feel pressured into getting him into the NHL 'ASAP' and limit his potential.

That's fair. Wisconsin is a perfect place for him to be and we can see what he does this year against older kids. He'll learn a good D system and get the fundamentals down this year. No pressure, just listen to your coaches learn and enjoy.

He improved nicely throughout the year on the USNT. He won't have Oliver the closer to pass it to, though. He's really dedicated and willing, he had a real good rep. I have a good feeling about his hockey aptitude. But yeah, he'll make mistakes every time he jumps a level and we shouldn't rush anyone up here. Miller, Lundkvist, Krav, Hajek, Howden in particular.

josh
06-25-2018, 04:38 PM
That's fair. Wisconsin is a perfect place for him to be and we can see what he does this year against older kids. He'll learn a good D system and get the fundamentals down this year. No pressure, just listen to your coaches learn and enjoy.

He improved nicely throughout the year on the USNT. He won't have Oliver the closer to pass it to, though. He's really dedicated and willing, he had a real good rep. I have a good feeling about his hockey aptitude. But yeah, he'll make mistakes every time he jumps a level and we shouldn't rush anyone up here. Miller, Lundkvist, Krav, Hajek, Howden in particular.

To me, he still looks very raw.
And I think there will always be pressure to develop, and develop quickly, when you are a first round pick.

And by take our time, I mean, potentially 4 years, plus 1 in the AHL. (McDonagh was 3 + 1/2 in AHL, for comparison)

Giacomin
06-25-2018, 05:24 PM
To me, he still looks very raw.
And I think there will always be pressure to develop, and develop quickly, when you are a first round pick.

And by take our time, I mean, potentially 4 years, plus 1 in the AHL. (McDonagh was 3 + 1/2 in AHL, for comparison)

Pressure can be managed with good mgmt. The pressure picks up once mgmt handles expectations poorly and doesn't put a wet blanket on any hype.

Josh, times they are a changing. No reason to think talented fast physical 1st rounders need five years before being able to break into the league. Even raw defenders... and he is not raw or immature in a number of areas. He'll have no problem with the speed of the game or the size, something a lot of kids can't say.

Future
06-26-2018, 12:06 PM

That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.
https://twitter.com/FutureBlueshirt/status/1010712601528012800
https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1010341715071287296

He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.

josh
06-26-2018, 12:54 PM
That's actually part of why I like his upside so much. Imagine how much more he can grow focusing exclusively on hockey.

I agree that he's raw, but he's very different than, say, Sean Day. Miller doesn't depend on playmaking or splash plays, and is elite in the draft class at NZ and zone entry defense. Those skills translate pretty quickly to the NHL.
https://twitter.com/FutureBlueshirt/status/1010712601528012800
https://twitter.com/MitchLBrown/status/1010341715071287296

He's really a lot like Marc Staal, who was in the NHL 2 years after being drafted and only played a dozen games in the AHL.

i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.
Not, an athlete playing hockey.

Future
06-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Just kind of adding to the discussion, Miller's analytics (though USNDP vs. CHL is kind of tricky), are phenomenal. Per Mitch Brown...

https://theathletic.com/398538/2018/06/20/brown-the-best-draft-eligible-defencemen-in-five-categories-tracked-by-the-chl-data-tracking-project/

If there’s one takeaway from this article, it’s that Ty Smith and K’Andre Miller are both excellent players. Of the nine different ways we evaluated the prospects, Ty Smith was top-four in five of them. Miller was top-two in six categories, including every measure of offence and the top player in neutral zone defence.
Miller is an athlete first, but he seems to know how to use it already, and he's more productive offensively than he's getting credit for, based on this.

So Nashty
06-26-2018, 02:28 PM
i dont disagree with any of this, but therein lies my hesitation. He's got the size, can skate, and "he can bring the puck in the zone" so management throws him into the lineup, prematurely, when he has rounded out the rest of his game.

I want to see him be a great hockey player with amazing athleticism.
Not, an athlete playing hockey.

He’s playing next season in college. They’ll probably re-evaluate him again afterwards regarding the future but nothing management or scouting has said about him indicates that they think he’s ready to compete yet or any time soon really.

If I can say anything about this whole rebuild so far it’s that the team seems to be completely dedicated to making sure they’re doing it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Gravesy
10-15-2018, 06:13 AM
K'Andre scored and was the best player on the ice in his debut for Wisconsin according to this.
https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/10/14/17974992/kandre-miller-makes-statement-in-ncaa-debut-wisconsin-rangers-usa-boston-college

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
10-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Damn, college kids are small! The ice looks so frickin big lol

Puck Head
10-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Damn, college kids are small! The ice looks so frickin big lol

I’d guess it’s the size of the ice.
1/2 of that roster is 6ft or taller

Gravesy
10-25-2018, 08:26 AM
He's got 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 4 games. Apparently looking like a total stud.

RodrigueGabriel
10-25-2018, 09:25 AM
He's got 2 goals and 3 assists in his first 4 games. Apparently looking like a total stud.

If he keeps this up, it becomes more conceivable that he could be one and done with the Badgers.

phillyb™
10-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Nice. I really liked this pick at the time, but mostly because of the draft show and the montage they did for him, but still.
Good for this kid. We need these first and second rounders to bear fruit.

Dunny
10-25-2018, 10:22 AM
When does the NCAA start their robust 6 game regular season schedule?

CCCP
10-25-2018, 02:37 PM
When does the NCAA start their robust 6 game regular season schedule?

yes

Giacomin
10-26-2018, 02:43 AM
If he keeps this up, it becomes more conceivable that he could be one and done with the Badgers.

More likely he gives it 2 years in college, which could be for the best. Then he comes to camp to win a spot.

Who knows, but seems like if he leaves after 1, he'll need a year in Hartford anyway. He may need a little time in the A regardless.

RodrigueGabriel
10-26-2018, 08:31 AM
More likely he gives it 2 years in college, which could be for the best. Then he comes to camp to win a spot.

Who knows, but seems like if he leaves after 1, he'll need a year in Hartford anyway. He may need a little time in the A regardless.You're probably right. When I thought more about what he would want to accomplish there, a few variables popped out.

He seems to have two sophomore D-men on the depth chart ahead of him, neither of them with his draft pedigree or likely upside. If he can somehow move quickly into the 1D slot and play for a good part of the season, that's a box to check. If he is somehow stuck behind them, it changes the timeline and perhaps even the desirability of being in Madison, 'cause he ain't there for a degree.

Wisconsin is currently ranked #14. If they continue to move up the pop charts and have an actual shot at a national championship this year or next, that is experience worth sticking around for, as is, in theory, a second season of Granato tutelage if the Rangers like his progress.

The short NCAA season has already been mentioned, but I imagine Miller is already penciled in for at least a couple of amateur or international tournaments. A key metric would be how many actual games he plays this year. A long Frozen Four would certainly help.

But I think the original point has some lingering merit, which is that if he absolutely destroys the Big 10 and NCAA this time around, some of those accomplishments will become redundant quickly. Reaching the NHL and a quicker payday are always forces that drive talented young players.

But again, Giac, you're probably right. Sure is a nice thing to even be able to speculate about.

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Future
10-26-2018, 09:19 AM
Just for some context... Mac was the #12 overall, played 3 years at Wisconsin, and then just 7 games in the AHL

Pete
10-26-2018, 09:50 AM
You're probably right. When I thought more about what he would want to accomplish there, a few variables popped out.

He seems to have two sophomore D-men on the depth chart ahead of him, neither of them with his draft pedigree or likely upside. If he can somehow move quickly into the 1D slot and play for a good part of the season, that's a box to check. If he is somehow stuck behind them, it changes the timeline and perhaps even the desirability of being in Madison, 'cause he ain't there for a degree.

Wisconsin is currently ranked #14. If they continue to move up the pop charts and have an actual shot at a national championship this year or next, that is experience worth sticking around for, as is, in theory, a second season of Granato tutelage if the Rangers like his progress.

The short NCAA season has already been mentioned, but I imagine Miller is already penciled in for at least a couple of amateur or international tournaments. A key metric would be how many actual games he plays this year. A long Frozen Four would certainly help.

But I think the original point has some lingering merit, which is that if he absolutely destroys the Big 10 and NCAA this time around, some of those accomplishments will become redundant quickly. Reaching the NHL and a quicker payday are always forces that drive talented young players.

But again, Giac, you're probably right. Sure is a nice thing to even be able to speculate about.

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Is he WJC eligible this year?

Drew a Penalty
10-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Is he WJC eligible this year?

Yeah. He should make it.

He should do at least another season there. He'll have Turcotte and Caufield joining him next season and that should make for an exciting team.

So Nashty
10-31-2018, 11:13 AM
I don’t like rushing players, particularly defensemen who take longer to develop. And a guy like him who started playing late in life (I believe that was his story, correct?) should play at the lower level as much as possible before coming up.

11-01-2018, 04:31 AM
I don’t like rushing players, particularly defensemen who take longer to develop. And a guy like him who started playing late in life (I believe that was his story, correct?) should play at the lower level as much as possible before coming up.

I think he used to be a forward, just played D the last 2-3 years IIRC. But your point stands, we shouldn't rush this guy - he has a lot to learn.

Puck Head
11-01-2018, 01:28 PM
Not sure you can say the ncaa schedule is shorter per say.
They have a 8-9 month season.

The difference they are training, practicing, and developing during the week and playing games on weekend.

RodrigueGabriel
11-01-2018, 01:54 PM
Was apparently just named NCAA Rookie of the Month by the Hockey Commmissioners Association. Leading rookie Ds in points.

So Nashty
11-01-2018, 04:19 PM
I think he used to be a forward, just played D the last 2-3 years IIRC. But your point stands, we shouldn't rush this guy - he has a lot to learn.

Thanks I knew it was something along those lines

ThirtyONE
12-02-2018, 02:09 PM
:tweet: With 4 points tonight, NYR first round pick and defenseman K'Andre Miller is tied for 2nd in Freshman scoring.

- Pronman.

Dude has 15 points in 16 games. Could absolutely be the steal of the draft if he continues to develop this way. My god, I'm excited.

rmc51
12-02-2018, 04:02 PM
How far away with this kid? Figure anywhere between 2-4 years at Wisconsin? 2020 earliest, 2022 latest?

TwoMinutesForNothing
12-03-2018, 01:42 AM
I've watched him some. He was supposed to be a work in progress from a hockey IQ, standpoint, but he's shown he just gets it. He had the skills but the rest was a question. It doesn't appear to be much of a question anymore. What he's done has been pretty incredible. He's probably had the most impressive performance from anyone in his draft class and now he will likely go be the #1 Dman for the US at WJC in a month. Realistically he could turn pro next season, not sure if that's needed though.

Puck Head
12-03-2018, 02:13 AM
He’s now listed at 6’4 and 205 per Wisconsin

Gravesy
12-03-2018, 06:26 AM
No need to rush this kid imo. He's in a good place, learning from an excellent coaching staff who I'm led to believe have been churning out high end NHL D-men for a while.
One of the things that has my real giddy about him is the fact Pronman and other scouts said the one question they had about him was whether he could contribute offense. It appears he not only can, but is in fact dominating points wise. I think I need a lie down.

Giacomin
12-03-2018, 11:18 AM
Absolutely my #1 pick for 26 and a lot of fans, experts and scouts think the same. We woulda screw up 48 anyway :)

His weaknesses are that he is still learning the position, having been a converted forward. That is not a weakness of his doing and he is growing into the position nicely. After that I can't find a serious weakness, everything is improvable.

Burns/Buff is a good comparison if he reaches his potential. Good driven kids with strong work ethic are the best bets to achieve their potential. Go US

To pile on, I've only seen Wisconsin once this season, but Miller was the perfect pick. We critique the Ranger's drafting, but they made sure they could select this well-regarded prospect with the upside to be an impact player.

However, offense is not an issue. [Gravesy check-out the guys at hockeyprospects.com to supplement Pronman.] Simply, the only big question was him becoming a legitimate defensemen, after playing forward for much of his childhood. That is the main reason not to rush him. Last year, he demonstrated he could. Now he is beginning to thrive under the staff in Wisconsin. I'm guessing he plays at least two years there, then if he and the Rangers think he can make the team, he'll make the jump.

Giacomin
12-03-2018, 11:35 AM
Guess if he continues his dominance thru the season, plus a strong showing at the WJC, he could decide to leave after one year. I'm just not going to expect it, but content to know the team and player will certainly be talking after the year is over. They will talk and make the appropriate decision. If Miller wants to go back to Madison, then it is probably best.

NYRangers723
12-03-2018, 01:21 PM
I was excited when we drafted him but now I feel like we got a steal even if we traded the extra 2nd it was worth it. Scary thing is he is realitively new to the position but has picked things up so quickly

paddynyc
12-03-2018, 02:37 PM
I was excited when we drafted him but now I feel like we got a steal even if we traded the extra 2nd it was worth it. Scary thing is he is realitively new to the position but has picked things up so quickly

I'm all for him playing at least another year at Wisconsin to grow/learn the position.

NYRangers723
12-03-2018, 03:28 PM
I'm all for him playing at least another year at Wisconsin to grow/learn the position.

Agreed. There is absolutely no rush.

Gravesy
12-04-2018, 06:04 AM
However, offense is not an issue. [Gravesy check-out the guys at hockeyprospects.com to supplement Pronman.] Simply, the only big question was him becoming a legitimate defensemen,

I don't think anybody said offense was an "issue", merely that scouts were uncertain about the offensive upside. Surprisingly you might say, considering he's a convert from forward. So it's good to see him putting up points at this rate. I haven't seen anyone questioning the defensive side of his game.

Dunny
12-04-2018, 09:14 AM
I'm just going to assume he's going to be Brent Burns and I refuse to be disappointed.

Slobberknocker
12-04-2018, 09:24 AM
have a buddy who is heavily involved in the Mavericks college program in Minny. He was all over his guys to get D'andre in their system.

Giacomin
12-04-2018, 09:46 AM
I'm just going to assume he's going to be Brent Burns and I refuse to be disappointed.

Are you busting my balls?

Slobber good info. He's from Minny and could have attended any of the midwest hockey schools. Would like to know why he choose Wisc. over Minn and others. Was it simplyb because of their track record with Dmen?

So Nashty
12-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Long way to go but this may turn out to be the best draft the rangers have had in years

Giacomin
12-04-2018, 10:04 AM
I don't think anybody said offense was an "issue", merely that scouts were uncertain about the offensive upside. Surprisingly you might say, considering he's a convert from forward. So it's good to see him putting up points at this rate. I haven't seen anyone questioning the defensive side of his game.

Not so much his defense, more about how refined he is at playing the position. Part of it is the abilityl to reliably shutdown top players rushing into the zone as a traditional standup dman.

Here's a great article that really adds some insight and even addresses why he went to Wisc., answering my own question. BTW, he says it was Tony Granato! One of my favs, gotta love it. His hockey hero is Mikko Koivu. There is good stuff about defense, offense, being a "power center".

https://www.nhl.com/news/kandre-miller-sees-himself-as-fourth-forward/c-294838648

12-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Long way to go but this may turn out to be the best draft the rangers have had in years

With 3 1st and 2 2nd it should easily be the best draft in a very long time.

So Nashty
12-04-2018, 11:00 AM
With 3 1st and 2 2nd it should easily be the best draft in a very long time.

Fair point but the Rangers have the best track record with high picks so that kind of levels the playing field.

Future
12-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Guess if he continues his dominance thru the season, plus a strong showing at the WJC, he could decide to leave after one year.
This would not surprise me at all, especially if the Rangers want to start competing in 2020.

Dunny
12-07-2018, 10:11 AM
*He* should want to leave.

Why would you play for free, it's a simple matter of liability.

paddynyc
12-07-2018, 02:03 PM
*He* should want to leave.

Why would you play for free, it's a simple matter of liability.

Depending on the scholarship offer he could be going to school for free.

josh
12-07-2018, 02:14 PM

Oh he’s not paying a dime and making out with a ton of perks and benefits.

But that’s not money in your pocket

paddynyc
12-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Oh he’s not paying a dime and making out with a ton of perks and benefits.

But that’s not money in your pocket

Would be for his parents not having to pay for school, but correct not in his pocket.

Dunny
12-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Why would a 1st round draft pick in the NHL give a fuck about going to College? Your career path has kind of been defined. The degree isn't going to be worth the paper it's printed on in 20 years anyways.

Puck Head
12-07-2018, 02:42 PM

Oh he is

Dunny
12-07-2018, 02:44 PM
He better be, but that's a given. He's not going to need it and he's not there for an education, he's there to play hockey for Wisconsin.

Pete
12-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Why would a 1st round draft pick in the NHL give a fuck about going to College? Your career path has kind of been defined. The degree isn't going to be worth the paper it's printed on in 20 years anyways.So that if he gets hurt he doesn't have to pump gas, maybe.

Dunny
12-07-2018, 03:10 PM
He'll get a 7 figure insurance payout and a job in hockey.

Slobberknocker
12-07-2018, 05:25 PM
7 figures dont go far in NYC...

Dunny
12-07-2018, 06:11 PM
NYC is cheap as shit. Try living in Canadastan.

Dunny
12-09-2018, 09:53 AM
Two more points last night. I think it's possible that this Miller train has no brakes.

NYRangers723
12-09-2018, 01:44 PM
Two more points last night. I think it's possible that this Miller train has no brakes.

Agreed. Thank god we traded up. I know some were upset we had to give up a 2nd for four spots but I’m pretty positive he would of gone at 23. Kid is killing it as a freshman

ThirtyONE
12-09-2018, 05:57 PM
Agreed. Thank god we traded up. I know some were upset we had to give up a 2nd for four spots but I’m pretty positive he would of gone at 23. Kid is killing it as a freshman

People were also upset we didn't draft Whalstrom. Moral of the story: fans don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to the draft.

Pete
12-09-2018, 06:11 PM
People were also upset we didn't draft Whalstrom. Moral of the story: fans don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to the draft.Guess scouts don't, either, if you're using Wahlstrom as your barometer.

Also, you're statement is patently false.

josh
12-09-2018, 06:40 PM
Most years drafts are a complete guess. Might have 1 or 2 sure things, and a bunch of hope-sos

12-10-2018, 09:08 AM
He better be, but that's a given. He's not going to need it and he's not there for an education, he's there to play hockey for Wisconsin.

think of it as he is majoring in hockey with a concentration in defense and a minor in being a fuckin gem.

does staying in school help better prepare him for his career path?

12-10-2018, 09:09 AM

I feel like I remember reading somewhere that Anaheim were really big on him.

You could also tell we really wanted him because we already had the jersey made up for him. They were going to give up whatever they needed to give up to trade up to that spot and take him and they knew it.

Giacomin
12-10-2018, 11:41 AM
I feel like I remember reading somewhere that Anaheim were really big on him.

You could also tell we really wanted him because we already had the jersey made up for him. They were going to give up whatever they needed to give up to trade up to that spot and take him and they knew it.

Given the mgmt interviews, the Rangers believed one or more teams likely would select him before 26. I too remember Anaheim as the rumored team. Of course, Miller being from Minn, the Wild were a worry at 24. And St Louis has an excellent track record with their 1sts.

I was surprised it cost a 2nd to move to #22, instead of our early 3rd. But it seemed steep only for a moment, until I realized we got the player I wanted! How often does that happen? There are a few threads in this section that show I wasn't the only one who liked Miller before the draft. We are unanimously delighted, so far. No Wisc games till mid Jan, but we have the Worlds to watch.

Dunny
12-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Wait.. NCAA is off for a month?

paddynyc
12-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Lots of schools close this time of year, so I'm not surprised. Also, this would allow those in college to play in WJC.

Puck Head
12-10-2018, 01:11 PM

They still practice

Slobberknocker
12-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Practice?? we talkin bout practice??

Gravesy
12-20-2018, 11:42 AM
K’Andre Miller, D, New York Rangers (Wisconsin-Big 10)

Miller currently is Wisconsin’s leading scorer, which is pretty good for a guy who played mostly a defensive role with the USNTDP last season. Miller’s always had the size and great skating, but he’s shown more confidence with the puck this season, leading to a lot more offense. He’s expected to play a significant role for Team USA and is one of the top NHL prospects on the team.

From Pronmans U-20 preview.

CCCP
12-20-2018, 03:43 PM
From Pronmans U-20 preview.

im orgasming right now

Gravesy
12-21-2018, 02:29 PM
im orgasming right now

I aim to please.

Gravesy
01-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Currently the 47th best NHL prospect according to Pronman's midseason ranking:

47. K’Andre Miller, D, New York Rangers

Miller has had a great freshman season. His world juniors didn’t go well as he got sick. At Wisconsin, though, he leads his team in scoring and is one of the better freshmen in the country. He’s a fantastic skater for a big man and competes hard at both ends. He’s shown more offense this season than I saw from him previously. I’m not fully convinced he’s a natural puck-mover/playmaker, but he can rush with the best of them and has solid skills.

RodrigueGabriel
01-26-2019, 02:50 PM
2 more primary assists last night, though the Badgers were shellacked by UMN.

josh
01-26-2019, 06:54 PM
How has he been defensively? I’ve barely watched him, and thebfew games I did were dominant wins.

RodrigueGabriel
01-27-2019, 08:46 AM
How has he been defensively? I’ve barely watched him, and thebfew games I did were dominant wins.The NYR site said he leads the team in +/-, but as we know that doesn't tell you all that much.

Slobberknocker
02-12-2019, 01:36 PM
guess he went hard into the boards and is pretty bruised up. Granato said no knee damage but he's probably out for a week or so just the same.

RodrigueGabriel
03-09-2019, 06:30 AM
guess he went hard into the boards and is pretty bruised up. Granato said no knee damage but he's probably out for a week or so just the same.

Granato said he might be out for a week or so. It's been a month, WI played their 1st game of the Big 10 playoffs last night, and he's still out.

Costa
03-09-2019, 03:21 PM
it's safe to say that we won't be seeing Miller until next season. Which might be better for everyone....

So Nashty
03-09-2019, 06:57 PM
He’s one guy they should absolutey not rush. Let him dominate college, then Hartford for a bit first.