• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Evaluating What We Have (Part 2): Tony DeAngelo

ThirtyONE

Tony DeAngelo (22)

GP G A PTS +/-

23 0 6 6 -17

A little bit larger sample size for DeAngelo. I think it's safe to say we've seen spurts of brilliance and possibly more than our fill of defensive gaffs. Like many of the young players up, there seems to be some promise but does he really have what it takes to stick in the NHL? -17 is certainly ugly but some of that has to be chalked up to an ugly team. At times he's got the puck on a string and can seemingly get his shot through to the net at will, but for every positive there's a negative. He often hangs on to the puck too long and gets himself in trouble. His first pass isn't always the best. His awareness is lacking in the defensive zone.

Personally I had really high hopes for him. I was hopeful he'd push Holden out of the lineup in camp and that never happened. He's only 22 and so he deserves a longer look but to me I see more Michael Del Zotto than Kevin Shattenkirk.

Thoughts?

Agree that I see a lot of DZ in him. Luckily for him he'll have plenty of opportunity now that the team is violently allergic to winning.

Ideally he should be playing sheltered PP minutes, but given the wreck that is our blue line right now he's going to get thrown to the wolves. Only time will tell

His biggest problem is Shattenkirk.

His second biggest problem, is everyone else sucks.

He could be a player that could really complement other good players. He could help other players be better, but he's not at the point where he is going to make other players better... that could come, but he needs to be nurtured - and we dont have the players or coaching staff at this moment.

I like his skating, I like his offense, I like him on the pp, but he needs work in his own zone. I mentioned elsewhere, a new system might be good for him.

There's still a lot of potential and he has talent.

Haven't seen any brilliance at all on either end. Glimmer of hope at times on the offensive end and often flat out poor play many times on the defensive end. He appears to be good at missing the net. He's plays with some grit which would be valuable if he wasn't such a small guy. He's not gonna do much to clear guys out from in front of the net. This whole rebuild thing is going to be rough on the eyes and painful when most of these guys in my opinion don't prove to be anything but average at best and not good enough in many cases. Praying for some magic here from somewhere somehow.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If the Rangers had four really sound D-men he would be a real asset to the team. On a team like Nashville I can see him in the high 40's in points. On our current team, no one can cover for his numerous gaffes in the d-zone and his strengths don't outweigh his negatives.

If the Rangers had four really sound D-men he would be a real asset to the team. On a team like Nashville I can see him in the high 40's in points. On our current team, no one can cover for his numerous gaffes in the d-zone and his strengths don't outweigh his negatives.

Kinda what I think. Hes very gifted at carrying the puck and shooting from the point. Years ago players like him would be paired with a serious stay at home D man. Seems like that isnt done much anymore. There just aren't that many one dimensional offensive D men anymore.

The thing I never understood was, how such an offensive gifted player, who isnt good at the defense position, stays at the position. At what point does a coach or even a GM step in and change such a player into a forward? For some of these players it could make/break a career.

Kinda what I think. Hes very gifted at carrying the puck and shooting from the point. Years ago players like him would be paired with a serious stay at home D man. Seems like that isnt done much anymore. There just aren't that many one dimensional offensive D men anymore.

The thing I never understood was, how such an offensive gifted player, who isnt good at the defense position, stays at the position. At what point does a coach or even a GM step in and change such a player into a forward? For some of these players it could make/break a career.

That usually happens when the player is younger. The only two exceptions I can remember are burns and big buff who actually both moved back to defense instead of forward.

That usually happens when the player is younger. The only two exceptions I can remember are burns and big buff who actually both moved back to defense instead of forward.

But if its evident early on, and they have the offensive gift.... Why keep them on defense? Like, nobody knew he was a defensive liability 5 years ago? 10 years ago?

Ps i think Burns played wing a week ago.

But if its evident early on, and they have the offensive gift.... Why keep them on defense? Like, nobody knew he was a defensive liability 5 years ago? 10 years ago?

Ps i think Burns played wing a week ago.

He did but he's most effective as a defender. He's played the majority of his NHL career as a defender even though he's gifted offensively.

If we trade for a player like Liljegren or Fabbro, I’d be fine sending DeAngelo back as a replacement. I don’t think he’s anything more than a 7D. He’s just not good defensively and doesn’t add enough offensively. I see a much stronger prospect in Pionk.

Archived