• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why Grabner and Nash Should be Welcomed Back After Trades

If both Grabner and Nash truly have aspirations for a second act on Broadway next season, then Jeff Gorton would be wise to strategize with both parties now, instructing them of his plans to trade them for assets before offering them both return tickets this summer.

This Rangers team is going nowhere fast. If anything, as of today, they are arguably closer to a lottery team than they are to being a Cup contender. But that can be a good thing. A very good thing. The pieces Gorton could receive in exchange for briefly renting both men to contenders would undoubtedly benefit the Rangers? chances of drafting an impact prospect this June. Whether by making opening-round selections with them, even if they?re late in the order, or by packaging them in a draft day deal to move up into the top-five ? both of which would go a long way in advancing his ?rebuild on the fly?. Not to mention the ancillary benefit of making an already poorly performing Rangers team even worse, thereby increasing the odds their own pick might be a lottery selection itself. Odd though it may be, the net effect of making the Rangers a weaker team would actually help them in their quest to reset.

Moreover, re-adding Grabner and Nash?who have largely lead the Blueshirts? offense with a combined 86 goals between them over the last two seasons?to a presumably younger Rangers roster next season would be a major boon. That roster could be home to a top-five pick from the coming draft as well as Filip Chytil and/or Lias Andersson. Perhaps more. Not only would the returning veteran duo benefit the Blueshirts? chances of earning another playoff berth but they might also serve as mentors to whatever mixture of inexperienced youngsters make the team. Someone?s gotta teach them the ropes. Who better than ultra-responsible, 200-foot players like number 40 and number 61?

Read more

Yes, they both should be welcomed back after trades. In practice, that never seems to happen with UFAs (how many cases can you name?). No, I wouldn't count Richter getting "traded" after the season, to avoid an expansion draft if I remember correctly, and then resigning two weeks later. I think the price on Nash will be a little too dear (I predict at least $5m for four years). Grabner's price may be better. He might not sign if AV is gone.

Telling him you'd like to resign him as he's out the door might raise tampering issues.

Then who is leaving?

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Nash - Hayes - Zuccarello

Grabner - Chytil - Miller

Boo - Andersson - Fast

We cant go into next season with the same top 8 forwards and expect a different result.

Bringing back Nash and or Grabner means Miller and/or Zuc is moved.

Yes, they both should be welcomed back after trades. In practice, that never seems to happen with UFAs (how many cases can you name?). No, I wouldn't count Richter getting "traded" after the season, to avoid an expansion draft if I remember correctly, and then resigning two weeks later. I think the price on Nash will be a little too dear (I predict at least $5m for four years). Grabner's price may be better. He might not sign if AV is gone.

Telling him you'd like to resign him as he's out the door might raise tampering issues.

Vermette and Tkachuk off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. I also don't think this qualifies as tampering.

Then who is leaving?

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Boo - Andersson - Fast

We cant go into next season with the same top 8 forwards and expect a different result.

Agree 100%. Can't just trot out the same old shit next year. What's the point? If Nash wants to come back for 3.5m, fine. But Grabner will be too expensive and the exact opposite kind of player they need. They need a major overhaul. That means new players. Fresh faces. Turn this team over to Andersson, Chytil and whoever they draft/trade for this year.

People seem to be thinking the Rangers suck because of injuries. That's not the case. They sucked long before then and injuries has just helped make this decision easier.

Agree 100%. Can't just trot out the same old shit next year. What's the point? If Nash wants to come back for 3.5m, fine. But Grabner will be too expensive and the exact opposite kind of player they need. They need a major overhaul. That means new players. Fresh faces. Turn this team over to Andersson, Chytil and whoever they draft/trade for this year.

People seem to be thinking the Rangers suck because of injuries. That's not the case. They sucked long before then and injuries has just helped make this decision easier.

it would only make sense if they have a major acquisition before next season, and they'd still need to remove a couple of guys.

Then who is leaving?

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Boo - Andersson - Fast

I'm OK with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

How do ?injuries? and a lack of skilled depth NOT lead to our horrible play? Or contributed - at the very least - to more of it?

If my weakened memory serves correctly, we (falsely) started the year with some wins and energy before the rug came out and reality set in.

Between the odd injury(ies) and flawed system and stubborn coach(es) - we were almost guaranteed failure.

Archived