• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

CAR Re-Sign D Jaccob Slavin to 7-Year/$37.1M Extension; $5.3M AAV

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/hurricanes-jaccob-slavin-agree-on-seven-year-extension/c-290372786

Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with defenseman Jaccob Slavin on a seven-year contract extension. The contract will begin during the 2018-19 season and carries an average annual value (AAV) of $5.3 million.

Who???? and why is he worth $5.3 AAV this early in his career? I seriously never heard of the dude. What is Brady Skjei going to command, Shattenkirk $$$$$?

If you haven't heard of him it's because you aren't paying attention. He plays 23:00 a night and just had 30+ points. Not to mention the fact that he's a positive possession player with primarily DZS.

This is basically what Skjei's contract would be, if he signed tomorrow. Same age, similar stats.

Fwiw, there's probably no way I'm taking this contract all the way to 30 if I'm Slavin/Skjei. Maybe there's no choice but, if you bet on yourself and develop, this contract could leave a lot of money on the table. I'd rather be a UFA when I'm 28 than 30. Because, either way, you'll probably get a contract until you're 34-35 anyways. Why take 7 x $5 if you can take 5 x $5.5 and then 7 x $6.5? I'd like my odds of getting another big contract if I'm a UFA before 30 than I would if I'm a UFA after I've already hit 30.

It's the same factor at play in comparing Stepan to Bozak. No way Bozak brings in a top-10 pick and a good prospect. Heck, we're talking about flipping HOLDEN for him. The only significant difference between the two is age.

It makes no sense for the player, but if they take it that's great. I'd do the extra year with Skjei and just go 8 x $5.5M. It takes him to 31. I don't think you get Brady below $5M unless you don't buy UFA years which would be a waste.

Yea, I'd be fine with that.

Slavin is a superstar in the making. He headlines the Canes' young defense along with Brett Pesce, and to a lesser degree, Noah Hanifin. He's coming off a 34-point (5-29-34) season for Carolina last season and has 54 points in 145 games thus far in his career.

Not to intentionally invite the backlash head on, since they're anathema around here, but fuck it — his value is really borne out in analytics. He's amongst the best defensemen in the league in penalty differential, and displays elite shot generation and suppression numbers comparable to your standard #1 defenseman. He's a career 52.1 CF%, and 52.2 FF% and does it all with a slight edge to defensive zone starts (52.6 dZS% to 47.6% oZS% respectively).

I'm not sure this contract is a direct comparable for Skjei, but I suppose it's in the ballpark, albeit at the higher end of the spectrum. Skjei has only one professional year in the books in which he saw a greater degree of oZS/dZS% (58.8 to 47.6), but he's comparable in points. Slavin is much more relied on thus far in their careers, though. He averaged 23:26 TOI/G last season, which lead all Canes defensemen, and was 25th amongst all NHL defensemen.

Slavin is a superstar in the making. He headlines the Canes' young defense along with Brett Pesce, and to a lesser degree, Noah Hanifin. He's coming off a 34-point (5-29-34) season for Carolina last season and has 54 points in 145 games thus far in his career.

Not to intentionally invite the backlash head on, since they're anathema around here, but fuck it — his value is really borne out in analytics. He's amongst the best defensemen in the league in penalty differential, and displays elite shot generation and suppression numbers comparable to your standard #1 defenseman. He's a career 52.1 CF%, and 52.2 FF% and does it all with a slight edge to defensive zone starts (52.6 dZS% to 47.6% oZS% respectively).

I'm not sure this contract is a direct comparable for Skjei, but I suppose it's in the ballpark, albeit at the higher end of the spectrum. Skjei has only one professional year in the books in which he saw a greater degree of oZS/dZS% (58.8 to 47.6), but he's comparable in points. Slavin is much more relied on thus far in their careers, though. He averaged 23:26 TOI/G last season, which lead all Canes defensemen, and was 25th amongst all NHL defensemen.

It's crazy.

When you think about their pipleline and include Hayden Fleury and Jake Bean, who the organization's fans both seem really high on, it's just insane young deep D.

It's crazy.

When you think about their pipleline and include Hayden Fleury and Jake Bean, who the organization's fans both seem really high on, it's just insane young deep D.

Yup. They can probably stand to move someone like Hanifin for a haul to a team who desperately need defensive help like Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not going to lie, I saw this extension and immediately though Skjei.

They're comparables, but Slavin is on the high end of that spectrum today. We can revisit after this season, assuming the Rangers don't opt for a mid season extension, but if he puts up a similar year, he'll get a deal nearly identical to Ghost, IMO.

They're comparables, but Slavin is on the high end of that spectrum today. We can revisit after this season, assuming the Rangers don't opt for a mid season extension, but if he puts up a similar year, he'll get a deal nearly identical to Ghost, IMO.

Agreed. I think Ghost was the more comparable player as well.

Exactly, see how this year goes. If he carries on this seasons play by late December, hit the mid season extension. If not wait it out and go lower. Slavin is essential a year ahead in the NHL.

Based on the year of Skjei we know thus far, absolutely. I wrote a whole article on it for CFC.

Yeah, I remember that article and I remember when I got news of the contract. Perfect comparable, though I think Ghost is on PHI's first pair, is that wrong?

Fwiw, there's probably no way I'm taking this contract all the way to 30 if I'm Slavin/Skjei. Maybe there's no choice but, if you bet on yourself and develop, this contract could leave a lot of money on the table. I'd rather be a UFA when I'm 28 than 30. Because, either way, you'll probably get a contract until you're 34-35 anyways. Why take 7 x $5 if you can take 5 x $5.5 and then 7 x $6.5? I'd like my odds of getting another big contract if I'm a UFA before 30 than I would if I'm a UFA after I've already hit 30.

It's the same factor at play in comparing Stepan to Bozak. No way Bozak brings in a top-10 pick and a good prospect. Heck, we're talking about flipping HOLDEN for him. The only significant difference between the two is age.

guaranteed money. i'd take 10 bucks now then possibly 12 bucks 5 years from now.

If you haven't heard of him it's because you aren't paying attention. He plays 23:00 a night and just had 30+ points. Not to mention the fact that he's a positive possession player with primarily DZS.

This is basically what Skjei's contract would be, if he signed tomorrow. Same age, similar stats.

This for sure. In about 3-4 years this will look like one of the best bargains for a contract in the league. I expect Carolina to be much better this year and for years to come

Look at Crosby, 5 years ago he signed a 12 year deal for $8.7 per. You think he's kicking himself now?

and what if his last year's concussion was career-ending? you think he'd be kicking himself knowing $69 million he'll be getting sitting on a couch?

Archived