• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ja Rule Going to Prison For Tax Evasion

Phil

http://www.fox12idaho.com/story/15100951/rapper-ja-rule-sentenced-in-tax-return-case

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) - Rapper and actor Ja Rule was sentenced Monday to more than two years in federal prison for failing to file income tax returns, and said a combination of youthful inexperience, bad advice and an inability to manage fame and fortune lead to his financial troubles.

"I in no way attempted to deceive the government or do anything illegal," he said, minutes before being sentenced in a New Jersey federal court. "I was a young man who made a lot of money - I'm getting a little choked up - I didn't know how to deal with these finances, and I didn't have people to guide me, so I made mistakes."

The multiplatinum-selling artist, whose real name is Jeffrey Atkins, admitted in March that he failed to pay taxes on more than $3 million that he earned between 2004 and 2006 while living in Saddle River. Although he pleaded guilty to three counts of unfiled taxes, he admitted he hadn't filed for five years, according to U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman.

Ja Rule was sentenced in New York City last month to up to two years in prison after he pleaded guilty to attempted criminal weapon possession. The case stemmed from a gun found in his car in 2007. Police said they stopped Ja Rule's $250,000-plus Maybach sports car for speeding and found a loaded .40-caliber semiautomatic gun in a rear door. The gun wasn't registered. He was charged under a New York law that generally bars people from having firearms outside their homes or workplaces.

Depending on his release date for his New York sentence - he could serve as little as 18 months in that case by meeting good behavior requirements and other standards - he could serve from four to 12 months of the federal sentence. The federal time will be served at the Oneida Correctional Facility in upstate New York, where he is serving the state sentence.

He has also been ordered to pay $1.1 million in unpaid taxes.

Wow, he is serving his time at Oneida Correctional Facility? Right up the road for me. Too bad they are closing it in 2 months

Wanna meet up, and see him there together? lol

I thought he went to jail a few weeks back... I heard he went to Transformers with his kids the day before. Must be mistaking him with someone else.

Wanna meet up, and see him there together? lol

I thought he went to jail a few weeks back... I heard he went to Transformers with his kids the day before. Must be mistaking him with someone else.

I think he is already there. The gangsta population here was pretty excited that he was so close by

I think he is already there. The gangsta population here was pretty excited that he was so close by

I dont remember exactly where you are, but the entire Utica area is getting so bad. I thought Syracuse was doing better, but the crime seems to be increasing.

Archived