PDA

View Full Version : Interview: Gorton Gives State of The Rangers Post Draft

CreaseCrusader91
06-25-2016, 11:52 PM
After the draft Gorton met with the media and delivered a sorta state of the team.

Thoughts on the draft:

• Feels the team was prepared heading into the draft. Understands they were in a position in which they didn't have a first or second pick.

• Not in a position where he can say they added a player who will make an impact next year, but was glad to select Day.

• Not surprised Day fell, they had a hunch he might and compared situation to Duclair falling.

• Credits staff for doing their research, closely watching him and talking to people around him and coming to decision that he would be a good fit.

• Was close on a number of deals that would have put Rangers into first round. Fell through because he didn't want to go into a position in which he felt they were not benefiting, and didn't want to feel forced to do something.

• Team is also in on some other details that just didn't materialize over the weekend, but they will continue to evaluate things and listen with open mind.

• Has had conversations with all RFAs. He told them to be patient with them, give him until the cap ceiling was set and the draft was over. Has had preliminary talks on term, and now is the time to have "harder" discussions.

• Plans to bring back all RFAs.

• No update on the assistant coach vacancy being filled.

• Asked if there is a particular area in which to address on the team

• "I think so, but I'd rather not say. I mean I don't think that helps me if I tell you what I'm targeting. I think you can look at our roster and pick it apart and figure out what we need to do.*"

• Are in a position in which they have plans to reach out to some UFAs

• Isn't a particular bracket of player, i.e top end talent, role players etc.

•*Things can change just like that, and you always have to be ready

• Keeping options open bottom line the goal is looking for ways to improve the team.

• Prospect camp starts tomorrow and will reassess the young talent on hand, get a sense of where they are etc.

• Announced the Holden traded and talked about him like he will be playing a role this year. Wasn't typical depth signing talk up etc.

phillyb™
06-26-2016, 12:11 AM
Thanks CC!

Respecttheblue
06-27-2016, 02:01 PM
After the draft Gorton met with the media and delivered a sorta state of the team.

Thoughts on the draft:

• Feels the team was prepared heading into the draft. Understands they were in a position in which they didn't have a first or second pick.

• Not in a position where he can say they added a player who will make an impact next year, but was glad to select Day.

• Not surprised Day fell, they had a hunch he might and compared situation to Duclair falling.

• Credits staff for doing their research, closely watching him and talking to people around him and coming to decision that he would be a good fit.

• Was close on a number of deals that would have put Rangers into first round. Fell through because he didn't want to go into a position in which he felt they were not benefiting, and didn't want to feel forced to do something.

• Team is also in on some other details that just didn't materialize over the weekend, but they will continue to evaluate things and listen with open mind.

• Has had conversations with all RFAs. He told them to be patient with them, give him until the cap ceiling was set and the draft was over. Has had preliminary talks on term, and now is the time to have "harder" discussions.

• Plans to bring back all RFAs.

• No update on the assistant coach vacancy being filled.

• Asked if there is a particular area in which to address on the team

• "I think so, but I'd rather not say. I mean I don't think that helps me if I tell you what I'm targeting. I think you can look at our roster and pick it apart and figure out what we need to do.*"

• Are in a position in which they have plans to reach out to some UFAs

• Isn't a particular bracket of player, i.e top end talent, role players etc.

•*Things can change just like that, and you always have to be ready

• Keeping options open bottom line the goal is looking for ways to improve the team.

• Prospect camp starts tomorrow and will reassess the young talent on hand, get a sense of where they are etc.

• Announced the Holden traded and talked about him like he will be playing a role this year. Wasn't typical depth signing talk up etc.

Good job CC. Makes sense.
Glad he didn't pull trigger on "forced" trades

ThirtyONE
06-27-2016, 02:20 PM
Good job CC. Makes sense.
Glad he didn't pull trigger on "forced" trades

Someone had a write up today or yesterday that the Rangers were also talking to Radulov and decided not to pay him. So far this offseason they've "come close" on a lot of deals and haven't pulled the trigger. At some point they have to pull the trigger and make a move. I felt they sat on Talbot way too long last year and ended up getting less than they could have. Hopefully that is not the case this season.

Ranger Lothbrok
06-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Someone had a write up today or yesterday that the Rangers were also talking to Radulov and decided not to pay him. So far this offseason they've "come close" on a lot of deals and haven't pulled the trigger. At some point they have to pull the trigger and make a move. I felt they sat on Talbot way too long last year and ended up getting less than they could have. Hopefully that is not the case this season.

Yeah, I'm genuinely worried about this. I've said before that the Hagelin and E. Staal deals have me worried about his ability to evaluate assets and get good value for them. And the Talbot thing was a little disappointing too. Who knows if any of the rumors were true, but it sounded like he kept waiting for a better offer and then everyone dipped out and we were left with Edmonton. I think Gorton's so afraid of fucking up that he keeps holding out for the perfect trade and ends up getting a bad one. I really have serious doubts about his ability to manage players and assets.

Cash or Czech?
06-27-2016, 03:31 PM
I think Gorton did fine with the Talbot deal considering what St. Louis just got for Elliot.

Plus we got a similar return to what Chicago got for Shaw. They got two 2nds. We got a 2nd and a young player, who we then flipped for a solid prospect.

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting? Not everything will be the Gomez trade.

The Dude
06-27-2016, 06:18 PM

Could all these near misses just be bullshit excuses to feed the fans? I have zero proof of that, but it's more of a gut feeling that we will see the same roster this season minus Moore, Stalberg, Boyle and probably Mcllrath.

"We tried but nothing materialized, so here we are, same as last year, which isn't a bad thing. We feel that the moves we were going to make didn't improve this team enough, so we will give it one last try with this group."

Which is fine, if they truly believed in this roster.

Hope I'm wrong and they do make some changes. I'm just not holding my breath. Not buying these few near missed deals.

paddynyc
06-28-2016, 09:24 AM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/alexander-radulov-wont-return-nhl-signs-khl-deal/

he Russian forward was not able to get a deal done with an NHL club according to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, and has signed a KHL deal instead.

firegorton
06-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Gorton needs to be fired. It's as simple as that. He's clueless

Vodka Drunkenski
06-29-2016, 09:18 AM
Gorton needs to be fired. It's as simple as that. He's clueless

Care to elaborate?