PDA

View Full Version : Article: [Lozo] Jonathan Drouin Has Proven He Was Right to Demand Trade

Phil in Absentia
05-17-2016, 07:09 PM
Four months ago, Drouin let the public know that he wanted a trade, as he felt he wasn't being given a fair opportunity by the Tampa Bay Lightning. On Jan. 20, he refused to report to his minor-league team in Syracuse and was suspended without pay.

Drouin felt he was an NHL player and did not belong in the AHL. The Lightning felt otherwise.

Through two-plus rounds of the postseason, it's time to accept that the allegedly entitled, disrespectful and foolish Drouin was correct—he belongs in the NHL.

Let's get this out of the way now—17 games in the AHL did not change Drouin. He didn't have a moment of clarity that magically transformed him from inferior hockey player to top-six forward on a Stanley Cup contender. He didn't score 11 goals for Syracuse and suddenly have an epiphany to play "the right way" in the NHL.

While he was sitting on his ass for six weeks playing no hockey at all, a movie montage didn't take place that featured Drouin watching children play a pickup game that resulted in his renewed love and dedication to his team.

Drouin was always this good; Jon Cooper and Steve Yzerman either couldn't see it, chose not to see it or felt they already had enough great players in the lineup and didn't want to tinker with a team that reached the Cup last year.

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/lightnings-jonathan-drouin-has-proven-he-was-right-to-demand-trade

The piece is full of the funny (it's Lozo, after all), but it's dead on the mark. This kid belongs in the NHL. He's been fucking phenomenal these playoffs.

Valriera
05-17-2016, 10:20 PM
I think the Lightning have to look back at this situation and feel lucky they didn't wind up trading him. No way one could predict how good he's been in the playoffs this year. They obviously did the right thing but this was more due to luck in my opinion that the right deal didn't come along than some divine foresight.

paddynyc
05-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Drouin is a player and I've been very impressed with him and I'd love to know what offers Tampa received for a potential trade at the deadline.

LONG LONG LONG TIME FAN
05-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Probably none to the liking of Steve Yzerman, considering the stance he and his agent took. In spite of his obvious talent, many observers viewed his actions as immature at best.

SaveByRichter35
05-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Hindsight is a bitch but I really wish we would have been able to land him. Oh well.

ThirtyONE
05-21-2016, 03:48 PM
He's fucking good. There is no doubt now.